[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 38 KB, 749x308, gogh0uhzr9g71.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.18817332 [Reply] [Original]

Is the /lit/ starter kit on the wiki a good place to start? Or do you unironically start with the Greeks? Also do I need to understand poetry to get started with the Greeks?
Want to get into reading so I don't end up like pledditors.
https://www.reddit.com/r/coolguides/comments/p0jod7/_/

>> No.18817342

Tell me what you're into an I'll give you a starter pack info graph

>> No.18817366

>>18817342
I don't really know what I'm into. Maybe something that fills the void of loneliness or something that inspires purpose. The only things I've read recently are Catcher in the Rye and Industrial Society and It's Future. I could relate to Holden quite a bit and enjoyed the book. So something like that would be great.

>> No.18817402

>>18817332
>The Holy Bible
>Author: God
>Not in the top 10

>> No.18817410

>>18817402
Samefagging

>> No.18817422
File: 1.19 MB, 778x1059, 1596677391106.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>18817366

sounds like you're ready for the exit

>> No.18817450

>>18817332
I would say you don't HAVE to start with the Greeks to get into philosophy, as it really comes down to what personally interests you. For example, if youre really into moral philosophy and you want to learn about what sorts of schools of thought are dominant today, it isnt like you wont understand Utilitarianism because you aren't familiar with Aristotle's virtue ethics.

The reason people tend to recommend the Greeks as your first foray into philosophy, I would say, is because they are really accessible. Like not only can you download all of them for free, the Greeks tend to be really easy to understand. Though it is trite, I would say it really is like lifting weights in the sense you train/learn to think philosophically. The dialogue style of all Plato's stuff makes it easy to follow, and even beyond that, they are pretty short too. Beyond that, a lot of the Greek stuff inspired vast swathes of the later western canon. Think of someone like Aquinas, doctor of the catholic church, tremendously influential on Christianity and therefore the world. he refers a lot to Aristotle (though he wasnt a strict Aristotelean). Then that is how you end up realizing how philosophy, when you are trying to explore it more comprehensively, is one long chain. For while you can "get," Aquinas without Aristotle, afterall the latter was a theologian first, you can "get more," if you know how Aristotle influenced him. This then leads you to wanting to read Plato, since a lot of what we've got from Aristotle was a response to the ideas of Plato. This is a pattern that repeats a lot across the whole field, you can explore an idea, but if you want to get the most you could possibly get, you gotta follow the chain.

But hey man, it all comes down to what you want to explore.

>> No.18818664

>>18817332
>thinking reading literally any book makes you "seem intelligent"
easiest way to spot a pseud. typical leddit