[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 79 KB, 316x316, Replica_(Front_Cover).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.18792688 [Reply] [Original]

Any books that will make me cry?

Closest I remember coming to crying while reading was Flowers for Algernon.

>> No.18792718

my diary desu

>> No.18792726

>>18792718
Let's hear it then.

>> No.18792739

Infinite meme. Because I read it at the right time, I guess. Certain chapters got a bit too real back then. Flowers is beaut.

>> No.18792770

I took a shitty pseudo LSD research chemical tab while listening to that album with a friend and he started crying out of nowhere. Told me a few minutes later that it took him back to a time as a child where he watched his parents dancing.

>> No.18792775
File: 9 KB, 255x253, apusad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>18792770

>> No.18792813

>>18792739
I've been looking to read IJ for a while, I never knew it was especially moving only that it was thought provoking and - unintentionally - funny.

>> No.18792819

>>18792739
I'm thinking that maybe what you've said about reading a certain book at the right time means that I may never get an answer to this question. I wonder if it's more of a combination of right-book-right-time. Flowers for Algernon came at a time where I was questioning my own intelligence and measuring myself up to others, as well as dealing with family members slipping into dementia - the perfect cocktail to really amplify the book at the time.

Maybe instead this thread could be about books that have made us all cry or that we connected especially with at a certain time in our lives.

>> No.18792834

>>18792813
Yeah the first few chapters where just too fucking much. They're actually quite drab and mundane. Nothing flowery or poignant but like I said it was mostly due to timing, felt a bit surreal. Something about the details just fucked with me for a moment.

>> No.18792842

>>18792819
Absolutely, timing plays an important role. I wish I could be like perpetually 15-17 years old sometimes, certain books just hit different back then for me.

>> No.18792854

>>18792819
>dealing with family members slipping into dementia
How do you deal with something like this? Do you fear this happening to you? Or are you mostly worried about your family members?

>> No.18792933

>>18792842
I didn't read until I was around 20, but I don't think any books would have had much of an effect on a younger me. I was too arrogant and stubborn and would have ignored any message from a book. Reading some books now in my mid 20's I definitely get the feeling that when I'm older and I reread them I'll have some different perspective, maybe it'll add to the experience, but maybe it won't. I take solace in the fact that rereading the books I've read so far when I'm older will provide some sort of deeper connection to myself, thinking about where I was when I initially read them in life and what I took from them then. I think the comparison to my younger self that comes out of the book like cold storage will almost be like watching myself grow up, almost a fatherly experience.

>>18792854
Well in a sense I'm lucky that it happened to both grandparents at roughly the same time. They're in different homes, not far from each other, and COVID obviously means they can't see each other right now, but they're so caught up in remembering the past that they still think they're together in a way. The hardest part for me has been how my parents have had to deal with all this. They're the sort of people to set themselves on fire to keep others warm, and I try to remind them to take a step back and care for themselves too.

I am terrified of having to take care of my parents with dementia or having my future children take care of me - something which I'm sure my parents feel the same way about after this experience.

It's tough, but the alternative - not looking after them - would be immeasurably tougher.

>> No.18792940

i shed teared up at the following
flowers for algernon
moby dick
sirens of titan
for whom the bell tolls
TBK
all quiet on the western front
the things they carried

>> No.18792953

>>18792940
The Things they Carried is another that made me tear up. It was the book that got me into reading and I desperately need to re-read it.

Moby Dick didn't seem to move me so much. Which bits in particular did it for you?

For Whom the Bell Tolls was pretty devastating actually.

>> No.18794270

>>18792770
I understand abstinence from drugs but it shouldn't necessarily exclude certain psychedelics which would support experiences like these. ketamine and psilocybin both have a lot of potential in low doses

>> No.18794280

>>18792688
>this album came out 10 years ago
AHHHHHHHH

>> No.18794463
File: 114 KB, 563x563, 1618320043857.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

the sound and the fury
coin locker babies