[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 198 KB, 1200x1200, 3494.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18450232 No.18450232 [Reply] [Original]

Was this guy a fraud? Did he actually read all the books that he read?
Did he ever demonstrate real insight of the texts he talked about?

Bought an edition of The Analects recently and I noticed in the blurb Penguin decided to include a comment about the edition by Harold Bloom praising the commentary as 'Serene insight'
Considering everything I know about him, with his school of resentment I'm surprised that Harold Bloom would have even read it but I'll admit that I've only skimmed through The Western Canon so I am pretty ignorant of him

How respected was Harold Bloom? Ignoring The Flight to Lucifer

>> No.18450334

>>18450232
He claimed he could readd 1000 page per hour. Never read any of his books besides The Western Canon so I cant tell you much. Seems to obsessed with Shakespeare and writers nobody outside the anglosphere cares about.

>> No.18450387

Rehashing what the average English teacher might say in school about universally acclaimed books. He liked being on TV, so it is easy for lazy people to pick up ob his stuff through youtube rather than having to read a book by an actual researcher.

>> No.18450393
File: 284 KB, 1016x763, D91CCD20-A6BD-4853-86C2-C4703CDF5B17.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18450334
Im laughing my ass off!

>> No.18450418

Samuel Johnson for barely sentient Amerilards

>> No.18452400

>Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert. The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>> No.18452780

>>18450232
It's pretty funny to compare him to Johnson, Coleridge, Hazlitt, or even to Sontag and McLuhan and Mccarthy. Not to say all contemporary (or just contemporary) critics need to be compared to the greats in their field, but god damn.