[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.19 MB, 1700x2275, Aristotle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18107214 No.18107214 [Reply] [Original]

I read Aristotles ethics and I still don't have a clue where to begin and how to be a good person.
Should I help an old lady cross the street? What should I do?
Let's say you're a shut-in introvert that rarely goes outside.

>> No.18107368

I mean if you never go outside, how would any of your actions be considered bad and unethical or good and ethical, if you never affect anyone?

>> No.18107371

>>18107214
You missed the virtues? Practice reading when you read.

>> No.18107382

>>18107368
I apologize that was aggressive. >>18107371

>> No.18107401

>>18107214
>>18107368
Practice the virtues. Once a bit more developed, you'll probably go outside for the challenge, or not... what matters are the virtues.

>> No.18107419
File: 419 KB, 500x601, 1600125902896.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18107214
To be a 'good person' for Aristotle meant to be a 'good' person in the same way a steinway is a 'good piano': something that excels in its function. As in, someone that completes the unique final cause and telos of a human being. If you recall the human function argument near the start of the book, that means 'an activity of soul which follows or implies a rational principle'. What that means is embodying rational judgement in your activities. 'Eudaimonia' is not 'Arete', it is not 'virtue' but 'flourishing'—flourishing as a human being towards his end. Which, as we know, is excellence in the use of the rational function. What is good is not some species of activity, but the correct conduct in all species of activity. And the correct conduct in all species of activity means the rational conduct in all species of activity. This is done through the application of what he calls 'phronesis' (practical application of rationality/practical wisdom). But you actually have to hone your phronesis through activity. That is what it means to have a moral education—to get out there and do moral things!
You want to be a good person? well, you already have everything you need, except experience. You should have a natural rational function already, you're a human being after all, but if you never use it then you can never fulfill your human function. Remember, a telos is a direction as much as it is an end, it means continual movement towards excellence demonstrated over a lifetime of correct rational decisions. All the talk of the golden mean, of magnanimity, of prudence and fortitude and courage—it's not meant to be a reference book for you to look up whenever you're in trouble. It's a demonstration that what is right in each situation is finding the correct degree of action through practical reason, to thread between the extremes which are both harmful and incorrect using your phronesis. And every virtue you end up possesing—your wisdom, your courage, your magnificence—is a demonstration of that very excellent phronesis, your human flourishing.
So get yourself some natural slaves to work your oikos, get married and be the patriarch of your family, and practice your phronesis by acquiring virtues in the everyday demands of the public life! Like a mighty oak hidden in an acorn, there is an excellent man in you—you just need to show it!

>> No.18107443

>>18107419
>it is not 'virtue' but 'flourishing'—flourishing as a human being towards his end. Which, as we know, is excellence in the use of the rational function
virtue means excellence.

>> No.18107567

>>18107419
Nice post anon

>> No.18107675
File: 600 KB, 700x6826, LiNjE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18107368
Because it affects you. Anything not good is bad, thats how it works.

>> No.18107686

>>18107419
excellent post

>> No.18107714

>>18107214
In a few words, "if you want to be a good person, you've got to do the things good people do." Aristotle was a man of action, he had little use for saying things in-and-of-itself; philosophy had to be actionable and practical.

If you feel inadequate, that's only because you have yet to take action. Of course it will feel strange and awkward, because it is new. Self-assurance and confidence in the teachings of the Ethics will come in time as you put them to the test.

>> No.18107741

>>18107214
Aristotle believed in the golden mean, balance in all things, as the most paramount example of virtue.

Thus you should help the old lady half-way across the road, then trust in her ability and willpower to get herself the rest of the way.

>> No.18107970

morality isn't reducible to a meaningless binary act. if you had the time, community, and virtue you would help the old lady but you would not consider it a question of ethics, you would do it automatically because you are already a good person with good people around you that you want to flourish.

>> No.18108048

>>18107214
just bee yourself

>> No.18108515

>>18107368
>I mean if you never go outside, how would any of your actions be considered bad and unethical or good and ethical, if you never affect anyone?

Thinking that something is immoral only if it affects other people is one reason why modern people are so miserable. Damn, I hate liberalism so much.