[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 3.88 MB, 3719x3247, __usada_pekora_houshou_marine_minato_aqua_shirakami_fubuki_uruha_rushia_and_15_more_hololive_drawn_by_terebi_shimizu1996__7a267c65765b7cd28a58ca9075747459.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18092806 No.18092806 [Reply] [Original]

Any progress on your novels?

previous thread:>>18078533

For Prose:
>The Art of Fiction
>Story Genius: How to Use Brain Science to Go Beyond Outlining and Write a Riveting Novel (Before You Waste Three Years Writing 327 Pages That Go Nowhere)
>On Becoming A Novelist
>Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft
>How Fiction Works
>The Rhetoric of Fiction
>Steering the Craft
>On Writing, Borges

For Poetry:
>The Poetry Home Repair Manual
>Western Wind: An Introduction to Poetry
>This Craft of Verse, Borges

Related Material:
>What Editors Do
>A Student's Introduction to English Grammar
>Garner's Modern English Usage

Suggested books on storytelling:
>The Weekend Novelist
>Aristotle's Poetics
>Hero With a Thousand Faces
>Romance the Beat

Suggested books on getting your fucking work done you lazy piece of shit:
>Deep Work
>Atomic Habits

Traditional publishing
> Formatting manuscript
https://blog.reedsy.com/manuscript-format/
> Write a query
https://www.janefriedman.com/query-letters/
> Track your query
https://querytracker.net/

Other Resources
>General grammar/syntax/editing help
https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/purdue_owl.html
> When/where/how should I write?
https://jamesclear.com/daily-routines-writers
> What software should I write with?
https://self-publishingschool.com/book-writing-software-best/
> Amazon Publishing to make that KDP monie
https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200635650
> Be like Charles Dickens and write serially
https://www.royalroad.com/
> Basic overview of the Screenplay format
https://screenwriting.info/

>> No.18092867

>>18092806
My first draft is nearly done. I would love to read a book like mine. I realise my hope is that other people would read this shit. I'm having book solipsism, guys.

>> No.18092876

>>18092867
Write for people who are like you or like what you like. It’s the only way, really. All else is fake and gay.

>> No.18092994
File: 299 KB, 1248x1500, Fyodor-Dostoyevsky-1876.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18092806
>Any progress on your novels?
Yes, I'm done now. I was never going to become the next Faulkner, the next Nabokov or the next Joyce, but I hid behind the language barrier to avoid criticism for months, maintaining an illusion that was fun to live in while it lasted. I had thought my country's education system was topmost in the world, but this turned out to be utter bollocks. A child of 18, a person ten years my junior, has a greater vocabulary than I, who had to look up the word “topiary”, and no one likes the expression theory of art anymore, I am likened to a long lost dinosaur.
This will be my final post on /lit/. I've been humiliated and exposed as a fraud. My writing is pretentious, infantile, banal drivel. My observations are dull, my language grade school level. My tenses are mixed up; I use colloquialisms, ellipses and onomatopoeia. I mix tired and trite idioms together to obfuscate their unoriginality with a veneer of irony; I have continued to recite ornate Jewish chimpanzee parables with diminishing returns. The parable seemed very clearly to me to be asking me whether or not the now-grown-adult can choose. I say yes, of course, but that's not my issue.
I was never cut out for writing. I began writing my "book" on January 6th. Since then I've produced 82 thousand words for it. These words are a tide of garbage without value, without insight, without form. The themes of time, space, infinity, memory and pointless duelling are not present in my work. It was never real writing, it was anime and weebshit. Look how many words I wrote, because apparently literature is bodybuilding and just aimlessly typing will somehow improve my writing. I don't even know what genre it is that I'm writing. Is it autofiction? A comedy? A picaresque?
Regardless, I have failed. I have put down my pen. Never again will my fingers click-clack across the keyboard. No more outlines, no more characters. Goodbye

>> No.18092998

>>18092994
Dude fuck off, you ruined everything.

>> No.18093000

Yeah, now the thread is ready to go.

>> No.18093007

>>18092994
Don’t give up. I know what it feels like to feel like you’re inadequate but if I’m bit able to write, then I think I’ll probably kill myself and I don’t want that to be you. Just keep at it.

>> No.18093015
File: 220 KB, 1440x1278, Teuvo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18092806
>>18092994
Yes, I'm done now. I was never going to become the next Faulkner, the next Nabokov or the next Joyce, but I hid behind the language barrier to avoid criticism for months, maintaining an illusion that was fun to live in while it lasted. I had thought my country's education system to be topmost in the world, but this turned out to be utter bollocks. A child of 18, a person ten years my junior, has a greater vocabulary than I, who had to look up the word “topiary”, and no one likes the expression theory of art anymore, I am likened to a long lost dinosaur.
This will be my final post on /lit/. I've been humiliated and exposed as a fraud. My writing is pretentious, infantile, banal drivel. My observations are dull, my language grade school level. My tenses are mixed up; I use colloquialisms, ellipses and onomatopoeia. I mix tired and trite idioms together to obfuscate their unoriginality with a veneer of irony; I have continued to recite ornate Jewish chimpanzee parables with diminishing returns. The parable seemed very clearly to me to be asking me whether or not the now-grown-adult can choose. I say yes, of course, but that's not my issue.
I was never cut out for writing. I began writing my "book" on January 6th. Since then I've produced 84 thousand words for it. These words are a tide of garbage without value, without insight, without form. The themes of time, space, infinity, memory and pointless duelling are not present in my work. It was never real writing, it was anime and weebshit!
Story arcs, character arcs, narrative arcs, these are all outdated terms. You say what you hear, and only the anime fandom uses the term “arc” anymore. I am a toad! Look how many words I wrote, because apparently literature is bodybuilding and just aimlessly typing will somehow improve my writing. My appetites grew as I wrote, I set a goal of a 100 thousand words when I began, only for the cancerous growth to demand a 137 thousand words soon enough to be completed, and still I don't even know what genre it is that I'm writing. Is it autofiction? A comedy? A picaresque? Am I merely shitposting edgelord-triggering diarrhea in neo-emo gothic revivalist gestalt?
Regardless, I have failed. I have put down my pen. Never again will my fingers click-clack across the keyboard. No more outlines, no more characters. Goodbye

>> No.18093026

>>18092876
Thanks anon.

>> No.18093068

Reposting because I have no brain cells.
>>18091916
I like this quote from Thomas Harris about working on writing. From Wikipedia:
>In 2019, he elaborated on his process, as well as the difficulty, describing it as "passive [...], sometimes you really have to shove and grunt and sweat. Some days you go to your office and you're the only one who shows up, none of the characters show up, and you sit there by yourself, feeling like an idiot. And some days everybody shows up ready to work. You have to show up at your office every day. If an idea comes by, you want to be there to get it in."
The idea for him is that writing is and should be work, and sometimes you have to get to bare-knuckle basics by asking questions like "What should happen next? What do I want to happen? Where do I want to take my characters next?" followed by questions like "How do I get there? What makes the most sense in terms of logic and emotional response?" and just really grinding out ideas.
It's helped me in a few tough spots, even if I had the intent to write that day and ended up spending the whole time writing ideas down, physically writing out the question-answer process, and then backspacing what I didn't like or even writing explanations about why I didn't like it. It's hard work, but it helped me.

>> No.18093109

>>18092994
If this wasn't a copypasta before, it is now.

>> No.18093116

>>18092994
Please don't give up! You have so much to give. Believe in yourself and you can achieve anything

>> No.18093120

>>18093116
Okay people have to be doing this ironically now

>> No.18093122

>>18093109
Its original intent is completely lost when other people post it instead of me using it to update my writing progress though.

>> No.18093134

These threads have turned so fucking cringe, I can't even shitpost here anymore. Congratulations

>> No.18093169

>>18093134
Then don't shitpost bro, keep a tab on your phone and check in when people post actual content.

>> No.18093173
File: 704 KB, 1000x1000, 1560904956502.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have a pretty big conundrum that could affect the outcome of my entire novel.
I'm doing a PoV-style chapter thing, and the majority of these are written in the usual third-person. The PoV chapters following one specific character, however, is written in first-person instead.
Don't get me wrong, there are actual reasons for this. I've thought it through quite a bit, and there are several implications it has that aren't going to be explicitly stated to the reader (though they can probably figure it out).
Reasons: These implications are that, 1. the novel is a book written by the character himself. He differentiates between things he knows happened, and things he did personally, by switching narrative mode. 2. That the third person chapters happened in the 'past', while the first-person chapters happened much more recently (though they are not posted in chronological order, and this reveal is not going to happen until near the climax of the book)

With all that said, I'm still on the fence. I want to do it, but I don't know if it would just end up jarring to readers, or if it would face a backlash because of the unexpected narrative mode shifts.

What do you guys think? Should I risk it and try it? I suppose I could always go back and re-write them later in third person.

>> No.18093219
File: 643 KB, 1022x731, It's_All_So_Tiresome.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I just want my stuff read
>Offer to read other people's stuff in exchange
>Read and critique their piece
>They re-edit and re-send the same scene
>They do it again
>And again
>and again...

>> No.18093232

>>18093219
Anon, I will read 7500 words max from you right now and tell you what I think in no less than 250 words. No trade, no bullshit.

>> No.18093242

>>18093232
Would you rather read a fantasy story about a monk (the philosophical kind not the punchy kind) in the not!Underdark or sci-fi story about alien towers that appear around the world ahead of an invasion by different aliens

>> No.18093245

I wrote a short story (my first piece of writing) and was wondering if I posted it here could I get some ideas on how to improve?

What's the best way to post something in one of these threads?

(new to writing, new to the threads)

>> No.18093247

>>18093173
If it benefits the narrative (and it looks like it does), do it. It will be a nice surprise for the reader that will grab their attention. Humans love sudden stimuli.

>> No.18093262

>>18093242
Tough choice, both sound right up my alley. I’d say send me the one you feel the least proud of so I have more to critique, but if they are equal in your eyes, send me the monk one.

>> No.18093263

>>18093245
Are you sure it's worth posting? If its your first piece ever, it's probably the equivalent of showing a kindergartener's finger painting

Anyone who says they started better than that is most likely lying

The advice will just be "read better books and write more" anyways

>> No.18093270

>>18093263
I'm 100% sure it's awful. I guess I wanted to hear some pointers, to know what to work on with what I write next.

I do understand that writing more could just be the best thing to do though.

>> No.18093279

>>18093173
Surprising the reader that they don't understand the timeline is not a good idea. It will just piss people off

>>18093262
The ending isn't a real ending, it's just where I happened to stop writing, so please forgive that. This will eventually become a novella length story I think, 50k words at the absolute max

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10tUQVFoVL_dVub35SVzinDmsqJe46MIaIPN4pKBUZ6M/edit?usp=sharing

>> No.18093317

>>18093270
If you're at this stage, Authortube tripe will be helpful. Just dont forget that if they have time to make youtube videos, they arent a very successful writer

>> No.18093333

>>18093317
>Authortube
Is this a specific youtuber or just general youtube 'how to write' videos?

>> No.18093351

>>18093333
It's general

Try Sanderson's lecture series

>> No.18093363

>>18093173
House of Leaves did something like this and it turned out very successful.

>> No.18093378

>>18093351
I think I have this bookmarked but was worried it was focused more on fantasy writing.

>> No.18093413

>>18093378
Not particularly about fantasy, he does rely on movies to explain his ideas though. You'll need to have watched Star Wars original, Lord of the Rings, and Marvel stuff

>> No.18093436

>>18093279
Alright, just finished reading.

You know how to communicate prose-wise for sure. Vocabulary is especially excellent, with generally straightforward sentences with the occasional decorative verbosity to heighten descriptions when it’s necessary.

What I had more trouble connecting with was the story itself. So there’s this colossal natural structure named Titan’s Rest, there’s freaky monsters inside, and the crew need the protagonist’s help for his scholarly skills. You describe - wonderfully, I remind you - how exactly the boat approaches this eerie landmark, how they drop down on land and the apprehension they all feel. But here’s the thing: why the fuck are they going in there in the first place? Maybe I’m just retarded and I missed it, but if it was mentioned it seemed to have been a missable one-liner. I need a promise made to me, the reader, something that will stimulate my curiosity. “What could be in this mysterious place” isn’t enough. The setting of dangerous wilderness with worm monsters isn’t new or original and thus will need to shine through characters and plot more than worldbuilding. However, everyone except the protagonist is your stereotypical burly crewman or uptight noble.

I don’t doubt you have plans for something cool to be found in Titan’s Rest, but for me to actually look forward to it, I’m going to need more context and a stronger connection to the characters that will make me fear for them. If they were to perish, who would miss them? What projects could they never complete? Right now, they act like automatons following orders.

So that’s my point of view. Excellent prose, but the plot needs more depth.

>> No.18093460

>>18093413
>You'll need to have watched Star Wars original, Lord of the Rings, and Marvel stuff
Really? I've seen Lord of the Rings a few times. Watched Star Wars in university when my flatmates realised I hadn't seen it, but I was too stoned to remember most of it. Haven't watched any Marvel stuff beyond the first Iron Man.

>> No.18093584

>>18093436
Thank you for reading and the feedback.

As I recall with how I left off, the next order of business was explaining the purpose of the expedition (an alternative trade route needs to be found for wartime supplies essentially)

Is it already too late to include it after? Or do I have an amount of time still before you'd drop? At 4.5k words, it's a tad shorter than a regular chapter still

As for the crew being stereotypical, is that a bad thing if they're not sticking around long? I plan to conclude the first phase of the story by hunting the trolls in the area, which is time for the noble to shine (if I do it right)

The story will mostly focus on the protagonist and a half-crazed berserker they find inside the darkness and are forced to rely on

>> No.18093670

>>18093584
I’d have dropped the story before 1k if I was just browsing through the library. It’s like I am walking on the street and a stranger suddenly waves at me and asks me to follow them for no reason. I won’t comply. If, however, they say they want to show me a cool bird they saw a few steps away, then sure. Get to the point quickly. And even then, the scope of your objective is too great for me to care about. Which do I want more, for this society I know nothing about to thrive, or for this scholar I know slightly more about to survive? How does this quest affect the character? Were they forced to go? Will the payment they will receive allow them to save their family, or complete a great task they hold dear? The story is unemotional and reads like an RPG rulebook setting - which is normal for these kinds of books, as it’s up to the players to create the bonds and the tension - but here’s, it’s up to you and there is almost no tension. Give me something to care about.

And just because the crew isn’t staying for long is no reason to make them soulless. What is their attitude towards the protagonist and the situation they are in? Mischievous? Abrasive? Mocking? Compassionate? Jolly?

>> No.18093678

>>18093436
You are the best of us, anon
Thanks for making /wg/ less shit, today

>> No.18093702

>>18093678
You’re welcome. If you have something you’d want me to read and comment in a similar way on I can do that for you.

>> No.18093714

>>18093460
You probably should watch those, they are indicative of what a modern reader expects of story structure, they've molded the zeitgeist

They're also helpful for discussing things with normies

>>18093670
Fair point. Hope you don't mind that I'm copy pasting your posts to comments on my document. I am working on that sci-fi story for the next few months (I'm at 32k words into draft 1, only the first chapter has gotten a revision) so I don't want to forget

To answer your questions just to sate curiousity and have a good conversation in this thread, MC was forced into it because the local lord took a fancy to the girl he was courting and fabricated some crimes. He's on the expedition akin to 'taking the black' from Game of Thrones, he had to pledge himself to the King's cause to lest the Baron kill him. He's quite depressed with the situation because the King's cause is essentially a suicide mission and he sees no hope of returning (at the outset of the story). I'd like to lean into a dichotomy of "the guy who knows says it's hopeless" and "the knight who has to do it doesn't care, it's his duty to the realm and for good reason"

And later it will get to some forced snu snu with the feral woman who has been surviving by eating monsters in the darkness and barely remembers human language because it's been hundreds of years she was lost in the abyss and she finally found someone able to speak with her, the main character

>> No.18093755

>>18093714
Well, that’s excellent! Make sure the reader knows about this injustice in the first 1k. You can give the protagonist a distaste towards noble characters as a byproduct of his past. Someone being wronged by a person of higher status and thus feeling powerless is something anyone can relate to.

>> No.18093798

>>18093436
>I need a promise made to me, the reader, something that will stimulate my curiosity.
Different anon, but gonna remember this when I start editing my own work. Answering the question of "Why does the reader care?" very early on in the story will help keep the reader engaged.
>I don’t doubt you have plans for something cool to be found in Titan’s Rest, but for me to actually look forward to it, I’m going to need more context and a stronger connection to the characters that will make me fear for them. If they were to perish, who would miss them? What projects could they never complete?
Other good things to remember, building the story around these questions when dealing with potentially dangerous situations. And it helps to have direction for your characters beyond just "adventure to cool places", even though that's really fun to write. Great adventure stories still have purpose behind the adventure, after all (Uncharted, Just Cause, Sahara to name a few).

Sometimes it feels like there's so much to remember with good writing that it's impossible to remember anything at all. Other times it all feels self evident and easy.

>> No.18093806

>>18093755
I suppose the most elegant solution here would be to have the ship captain mock him as the crew preps for arrival, having a laugh at his passenger's misfortune.

something like "Unfortnately for you, Prince Allister's beloved is a hundred leagues behind us, so you'll be wanting for a bed fellow. Though... that said, I do hear the trolls have chiefs. You might be able to settle for a troll princess for the night!"

>> No.18093842

>>18093806
Yes! Wonderful.
>>18093798
The “rules” of writing are suggestions that ensure your work will be enjoyed by the majority. If writing is introspection for you and you do not intend to share, disregard them.

>> No.18093999
File: 122 KB, 1280x720, voyage-of-time-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How many books should you have under your belt before you go full self-indulgent and write a book with no people or plot in it? Because that's my endgame.

>> No.18094006

>>18093999
Sounds dull to write. Why would you do this?

>> No.18094013

>>18094006
Because I grew up watching wildlife documentaries and reading books about different ecosystems and the animals that live in them.
That is, I'm a dull person.

>> No.18094034

>>18093999
Sounds like an interesting experimental book. I can't imagine many people will read it though. Even animal-focused books like Fire Bringer had dialogue and a plot.

>> No.18094043
File: 35 KB, 672x468, 1618596818655.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>want to write a story set in 1540
>lazy as fuck and barely do research
Is this why people just write f*ntasy?

>> No.18094057

>>18094013
Why don't you write something in the vein of Ernest Seton-Thompson's animal stories? 0 dialogue, 0 humans or anthropomorphism, just animals doing animal shit and while there is a plot it's directly related to their struggles in their environment.

>> No.18094061

>>18094043
Why would you want to write in 1540 specifically in the first place if you are not interested in the research?

>> No.18094066

>>18094057
That's basically what I had in mind.

>> No.18094073

>>18094043
Based time frame. Thinking of something similar myself. But like >>18094061 says why bother if you're not already interested in the period enough to even do the basic research?

>want to become a mechanic
>not really interested in looking under the hood of cars

Makes perfect sense.

>> No.18094110

Does coming up with ideas for what to write get easier the more you write? I'm just starting and have very few ideas, like my imagination is bottlenecked or something.

>> No.18094118

>>18094110
Ideas are always coming and going. It's picking some and sticking with them for longer than two weeks that's the real measure of a writer.

>> No.18094123

>>18094110
Coming up with ideas becomes easier with research. You need to learn more about the world.

>> No.18094126

>>18094061
>>18094073
I am actually. I'm just lazy as shit. Ah well that's no excuse.

>> No.18094142

>>18093702
I may take you up on it!

I’ve been posting some short stories in the flash fiction thread, and there are two in particular i’d like to tighten up.

The Long Walk/Hey Bug:
>>>https://shortlyai.com/read/57287/
>I really like this one, it’s one of the first i wrote and i feel it’s one of the best (contrary to what >>18093263 says).
>I let it sit for a while, and im returning to it this week in hopes of polishing it up.

Breathe Deep:
>>>https://shortlyai.com/read/108690/
There’s a reveal at the end that i didn’t manage to foreshadow/pull off well (right now including a spoler image to give it away). Looking for ideas to leave enough breadcrumbs to make the last paragraph payoff.

Thx in advance anon!

>> No.18094168

>>18094110
What everyone else said and also, sometimes it helps to grind out ideas in a session rather than wait for them to happen organically. And always write down every idea, even if it's only a snippet. Stephen King said he never kept a notebook of ideas and only wrote things that he thought about often because "those were deas worth remembering". I just write down everything and, if it doesn't warrant a novel around it, I'll probably stick it in with another novel somewhere.

>> No.18094288

>>18094142
>Breathe Deep
Ridiculously purple prose. There is no way in Hell anyone will ever realize that it's describing a dog putting its head out of the window without the image. The text reads like an untamed stream of consciousness. I cannot highlight a single paragraph as being grounded in reality. Metaphors are supposed to add a whimsical layer to the events unfolding in your story, but there is literally one in every sentence and I am incapable of differenciating reality with imagination. And besides, dogs don't talk like this. Sorry, but I do not like this.

>The Long Walk/Hey Bug
Much better. I like the idea of air having a color, that's pretty creative. I'm still confused as to what exactly it's trying to portray. It's a child narrating an adventure they had, and your vocabulary is thankfully much more straightforward this time around. It's... neat, but I fail to see what the "real world" equivalent was for each of these experiences. Perhaps there was none. Perhaps this was just a neat daydream. I enjoyed this.

>> No.18094860

>>18092994
>>Any progress on your novels?
Yes, I'm done now. I was never going to become the next Faulkner, the next Nabokov or the next Joyce, but I hid behind the language barrier to avoid criticism for months, maintaining an illusion that was fun to live in while it lasted. I had thought my country's education system was topmost in the world, but this turned out to be utter bollocks. A child of 18, a person ten years my junior, has a greater vocabulary than I, who had to look up the word “topiary”, and no one likes the expression theory of art anymore, I am likened to a long lost dinosaur.
I was never cut out for writing. I began writing my "book" on January 6th. Since then I've produced 82 thousand words for it. These words are a tide of garbage without value, without insight, without form. The themes of time, space, infinity, memory and pointless duelling are not present in my work. It was never real writing, it was anime and weebshit. Look how many words I wrote, because apparently literature is bodybuilding and just aimlessly typing will somehow improve my writing. I don't even know what genre it is that I'm writing. Is it autofiction? A comedy? A picaresque?

>> No.18094893

>>18094860
Au revoir, mon ami.

>> No.18094959

>>18094288
Thanks so much for the feedback

>Breathe Deep
The prose was intentionally over-the-top...first, because i liked the idea of a dog’s inner voice being absurd and second because the metaphors allowed me to more easily avoid giving away the ending. That said, i will see what i can due to tone it down, i also assume there are clever ways to keep the exact context vague without constantly layering on more metaphors (perhaps i could find one ‘misunderstanding’ and hang the whole thing on that)

>The Long Walk/Hey Bug
I think you may have missed the context of this story, which as the author i take the blame for and probably need to fix.
The story is a letter written (likely spoken) by a father who is dying on the moon to his young child. The language is simple not because a kid is narrating, but because an adult wants to make himself clear to his daughter.
Re-reading the story, i think you may have been thrown off by the first line “Hey Bug” (the kid’s name is June, but he calls her June Bug or Bug)...i can see, though, how it could read as a child telling a story to an insect. Would leading with ‘Hey June Bug’ make it clearer?

Thanks again, anon!!

>> No.18095489

I've lost my confidence in my story now that the draft is done and I don't know how to get it back. I've still only been able to convince myself to edit a single chapter a week, and at this speed, I feel like I can't maintain a consistent voice. If I could hit a reset button and get back into the mindset I had while drafting, I would be fine, but I can't un-overthink things.

I think I am going to try a different approach tonight. One, I'm going to drink alcohol. Two, I'm going to autistically outline each beat of the chapter I'm working on, then one paragraph at a time - not in a linear order - expand the beats as they inspire me. My hope is that by doing paragraphs out of order, I will be more focused on the immediate words I'm putting down, and less focused on the overarching big picture, which my draft already provides anyhow. Please lend me your most based good-prose energy so that I may succeed. I call upon the dead gay spirit of Hans Christian Andersen to bestow upon me the autism I need to make this work.

>> No.18095605

How do I fix this? "When I read it, it felt like I was reading a short story, and then sometimes I felt like I was reading a 500 page novel". I began writing fiction as only short stories (first 4 years) and then I desperately tried to orient myself towards writing novels, but I can't figure out how to write the "in-between" moments.

>> No.18095632

>>18095489
I’m in the same position as you. There is a voice I have so clearly in my mind but I can recreate it on the page consistently. I’ll mirror your method and hopefully we can both succeed.

>> No.18095642

>>18095632
*can’t recreate

>> No.18095711

>>18095605
Without knowing anything else, it sounds like a pacing problem. Try reading some mid length action novels to get a feel for quick pacing in that setting. Alternatively, watch a short movie and then a longer one, just ensure they have similar genres.

>> No.18095748

>>18095605
That sounds like the kind of input that you either need to press for more detail on or ignore. The issue may be that you have sections where you don't seem to be making progress towards the "main mysteries" of the novel, and those are generally the sorts of scenes that you can discard entirely in editing. But it may be something else that they mean to say; hard to tell.

>> No.18095826

>>18095605
>the "in-between" moments

If they’re needed as a transition, but are too slow to be interesting try:
>new chapter! Just have the time jump between chapters, if it’s not too jarring your readers can what happened in-between from context
>sub-plot! If you need to get characters from major plot point A to major plot point B and theres just a lot of fuzzy nothin in between, seems like you need to make that space more interesting. Have a character lose a cat early on, and then spot it ducking into an alley en route or something...
>dialogue! Channel your inner Tarantino. Luxuriate in those in-betweens as a perfect blank canvas for any witty banter you like. Steal something good from your short story writing days and drop it in.

>> No.18096017

>>18095826
Thank you. That's exactly it. I know I need something in-between these big moments, but I also just don't know what the structure is.

>>18095711
Thanks. I bought a procedural novel (JG) that I'm going to be reading just for the pacing.

>>18095748
Yeah, you nailed it. She actually wrote "I think the main reason I felt it was a short story is because we dived straight into the feeling of being on edge but didn't get much of a build up. If anything, I would save the first chapter for a little later and develop the story a little bit more before continuing on. I seriously think this could be a larger novel if there was more of those in-between moments"

>> No.18096266

>>18093279
>Sleeping on the ship was nearly impossible for me.
>for me
Since it's in the first person I would drop that.
>The quartermaster had not deigned to give me a candle for the trip. Frankly, I seemed to be lucky to have been given a cloak to double as my blanket
>as my blanket
as a blanket
>, so I couldn’t even read my books after the sun went down. The wheezing and snoring of men filled the hull of the ship as loud as an inn’s common room.
>the hull of the ship
>of the ship
We already know he's on a ship so no need to repeat that.

Now I'm no professional writer by any means so other anons feel free to correct me. But it seems like you still have some stylistic problems. I didn't read the entire thing but those details seemed enough for me to comment already.

>> No.18096486

How much information should you convey in an action-orientated book? As little as possible, and tell everything through scenes? At what point are you divulging too much information?

>> No.18096587

I still can't decide if I want my story to be first or third person :(

>> No.18096639

>>18092806
>any progress on your novels?
I made the mistake of reading some of what I'd written, and I've spent the day suicidally ashamed at how awful my writing is. I think the basic concept of the story is OK, and I think a pro author could have done something with it, but my execution was beyond disappointing.I'm about a quarter through the rough draft, but deep down I know I'll never finish it.

>> No.18096677

>>18096639
Here's your homework: read some absolute dreck that's been traditionally published. Like, bottom of the barrel romance or fantasy or what the fuck ever. You'll feel better, and you'll hopefully come to realize that your rough draft isn't unsalvageable garbage.

>> No.18096786

>>18093109
Yeah this general is noticable worst compared to three months ago.

>> No.18096796

>>18096786
Meant to refer to >>18093134

>> No.18096811

>>18096786
No one posts their writing any more

>> No.18096838

>>18096677
You underestimate how shit a writer I am. If anything, reading real authors, even the lower tier, makes me appreciate just how good even "bad" published work is.

>> No.18096885

>>18096266
Anon, those aren't very good critiques. The piece is first person, the word choices will be colored by the narrator.

>> No.18096957

>>18096885
Sure. But usually if that were to be the case the inner voice would be more accentuated. If I'm reading the thoughts of a hick monk, then that should be obvious.
No offense to the writer.
Also an inner monologue when you write in first person can be a paraphrasing. Naturally you'd feel like stopping if the entire writing was unenjoyable. You can make a clear distinction between the paraphrasing and the raw inner thoughts by punctuation.

>> No.18096996

How to create characters that will spark a passionate autistic fandom?

>> No.18097004

>>18096957
>>18096885
And I did read a bit further. The problems don't persist too much so it might be isolated. Also the language overall is not low brow at all so I doubt the inner language of the character is the problem.

>> No.18097025

>>18096996
>Extreme attachment to friends
>Relatable for your average YA reader
>Absolute devotion to an objective
>(Optional) Furries

>> No.18097038

>>18096786
You think so? I think it has increased tenfold ever since the mind boggingly shizo drama ended.

>> No.18097048

>>18092806

Anyone else gets the urge to write mostly late at night? I have the most motivation to write when I'm starting to get tired, but that's an issue for obvious reasons. How to change?

>> No.18097055

>>18096587
Flip a coin
>>18096486
What kind of information do you mean? Action/fight descriptors? Or in-battle subtext and exposition? I like to keep information as strictly framework as possible and let the reader fill in the blanks. A few nicely punctuated adjectives and some sharp verbs really drive home a good action scene.
>>18096996
Here's a good video in a similar vein: https://youtu.be/euTe191sAWg

>> No.18097167

>>18097055
Hey, I made the information conveying post. I mean in terms of world-building, should I leave all that as information told in action scenes and dialogue? I really want to minimize narration to a minimum and bring the reader into a cascading action scene for the majority of the novel, I just don't know how possible it is. Thanks :) Essentially, I want to build the world as everyone is moving.

>> No.18097183

>>18097167
All I can say is read 40k books because most of the great ones don't have a cascade of action, even when the subject matter is endless war.
But if you want what you're talking about you'll certainly find it there. Go to /tg/ for recs.

>> No.18097232

>>18096587
It's easier to swtich from 3rd to 1st than 1st to 3rd

>> No.18097336

>>18096587
Nothing stopping you from doing both if there's multiple PoVs. I do 3rd person for non-protag povs and 1st person for protags, but my preference is to keep a single pov for a chapter to avoid too much jarring the reader.

>> No.18097351

>>18096838
>>18096639
My friend I have a secret for you. Nearly every published author is writing below their level. If you feel like you're stretching yourself and you don't fancy yourself the next - how's it go? - the next Faulkner, the next Nabokov or the next Joyce, you are writing above your level. What I mean by "above your level" is just that you might be writing for awards that you're not capable of competing for, failing, and winding up with audienceless work.

There are two solutions. The first is that you commit to a dedicated life of literary study and make yourself able to compete for those awards. This doesn't necessarily have to be study in a university context, but it probably should be. The second option is to adjust your target demographic until it's one that you can comfortably just knock the socks off of. If you have to drop all the way down to children's books, do so, and work your way up the ladder if you're able.

>> No.18097406

>>18097351
>nearly every published author is writing below their level.
Are you a published author? If not this is just hot air.

>> No.18097408

>>18097406
:)

>> No.18097500

>>18097167
I'm a minority on /lit/ that really hates exposition in novels, but for my two cents, getting information through action sequences, dialogue, and exploration feels more natural than 3 pages explaining backstory and history where 1.5 pages of dialogue and a paragraph or two of context can suffice. The Once and Future King chapters about the knights returning from the grail quests did it pretty well I'd say, though you can argue that dialogue exposition dumping is just exposition dumping without quotation marks.

>> No.18097537

>have published flash fic
>can't write anything longer than that
>if I try, I just get lost in plot details and never finish
Should I just keep writing flash fic until I get somewhere?

>> No.18097540

>>18097500
Uh I don't know of many great novels that do big exposition.
Maybe you're blowing this out of proportion.

>> No.18097611

>>18097537
Read Story Genius

>> No.18098251

Can you guys give me core tips to writing YA? Please :) Someone gave me amazing advice here once but I forgot to write it down.

>> No.18098438

>>18098251
Don't talk down to your audience. Of course, don't dump entire passages of Kant, but don't be afraid of dealing with unsavory topics. Think of the shit you did, thought, and said in middle school onward.

>> No.18098475

>>18098438
>Think of the shit you did, thought, and said in middle school onward.
Naruto run and then go home to read CLAMP romance manga and cry about not having a GF before playing Starcraft custom maps until 4 AM?

>> No.18098496

>>18098475
There ya go. For me, it was spanking off to Pleasure Bonbon fanfiction I wrote in spiral notebooks I'd keep under my bed and would make sure nobody else knew it existed. That, and listening to a lot of Coldplay and My Chemical Romance and thinking no one got me.

>> No.18098503

/wg/, I want to blow my brains out

>> No.18098515

>>18098503
Take a politician out before you do, give your life some meaning.

>> No.18098679

Have any of you ever had a book published?

>> No.18098692

Went a little crazy tonight and wrote some fantasy, fellas.

>> No.18099016

>>18098438
>but don't be afraid of dealing with unsavory topics
Horrible advice. You must write only frictionless utopias or be cancelled. If you are white DO NOT WRITE POC characters, they are not for you to write, also DO NOT WRITE BOOKS WITH ONLY WHITE characters as this is contributing to the oppression of BIPOC folx globally.
In fact it is best you don't write at all, just stay in your lane.

>> No.18099031

Can you make money writing erotica? Will random people actually donate randomly?

>> No.18099170
File: 257 KB, 1000x598, hanoi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>think of a pretty setting
>write it
>hope a story comes to me soon
it's just a scene and it's probably not going anywhere but it's real comfy. i wish i could do this forever.

>> No.18099172
File: 1.23 MB, 1920x1200, 6a00e553677dd0883401a3fcabf5f1970b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18099031
Yes. I did a stint of this for 2 years before giving up out of exhaustion. No I will not link my work lol.

The romance, and by extension the erotica scene requires relentless self-promotion combined with relentless productivity. The only saving grace is that standards are not high. It is truly the genre of quantity>quality. You must enter the twitter/reddit scene for these genres and engage in self-promotion, and promote others as well. It is all about back scratching your way up the chain.
Secondly people will prefer three 100 page stories over one 300 page story for the most part, but they do like continuity.
Thirdly know your niche. I wrote stories primarily about Shifters (Werewolves) who were also billionaires who liked rough anal sex. The fellow author I discussed the writing process with the most specialized in books about black single mothers meeting rich white alpha males.
Don't try to write a book that appeals to everyone, target a couple areas but feel free to innovate within them because people are simultaneously seeking novelty and the fulfilment of their fetishes. These two appetites work against one another so if you can pull off giving people both you have a winner. To this end you need to know what is out there within the niche you need to write. This means reading other peoples work to get a feel for where things are going. Thankfully these books are cheap, practically free, and short and you don't need to read more than a couple to get the full picture.

You should also decide before you start if you are going to include fantastical, genre fiction, elements like magic, monsters, scifi stuff. These things are selling points and central to how you market your works, people either want them in or out, not half measures and certainly not switching half way from one to the other. If you do decide to include fantastical elements then keep a close eye on YA trends, as what you will be writing will, in many ways, be the dirty underbelly of the YA movement. Things the horny fans would like to happen in their favourite books. It is a step up from fan fic, but essentially you are catering to the same people.
If you decide to keep things a bit more mundane you ironically give yourself a bit more freedom as, so long as you pushing the fetish buttons you promised (Native Indian warrior meets frontier girl, or whatever) you can do what you want with the story rather than follow YA story beats.

Finally make sure at least something you are writing about is something you are into, or at least don't mind, otherwise you will get burnt out incredibly fast. I like women with big asses who take in the butt (pic related) which is why I included it a lot of the time in my stories which were otherwise filled with fetishes I didn't give a shit about.

>> No.18099197

>>18099172
I was not expecting this amazing of a response lol . I'm saving your post this is amazing thank u

>> No.18099822

As a brown person would I want to write under a pseudonym so that there aren’t any expectations that my writing has to be about being oppressed or some shit?

>> No.18099961

>>18099172
D-do I need to have had sex in order to write this sort of stuff?

>> No.18099962

>>18099172
You make it sound way harder than it is. I make $50 for every 2k I write on average. And I sell my commissions by packaging them as ebooks which I sell on amazon, getting a second income. This alone with true minimal effort will net be $500 a month easy. If I wanted to put a genuine workday effort in of, lets say, 6 hours, I could make thousands of dollars a month. I choose not to mainly to avoid burnout and because I'm lazy.

All I did was join a smut discord and put my commission price up. Also on fiverr. It's that easy. No backscratching involved. Maybe you were making serious money like in the tens of thousands though, if that's what you're talking about.

My ebooks are on average about 10k words, some more some less. I sell about 5 ebooks a day, with great days selling 11 as a high point. I get two dollars out of every sale. This alone can cover food expenses for a week (a week of amazon payouts I mean)

>> No.18099973

>>18099822
Maybe have some self respect and use your name. Authenticity trumps everything.

>> No.18099982

>>18099961
Kek no

>> No.18099990

>>18099962
I have to apologise if I overcomplicated the matter. I think most of what I wrote can be summarized as "Know your audience" and "Don't write something you hate". The rest is more a lay of the land regarding the scene you will find yourself in.
We are slightly different cases as I never took commissions.

I have never used Discord, so maybe that is something you could expand on for anyone interested?

>> No.18100006

only know how to be one way: that's the dog
empty out, reload it, blow more globs (see you ja rule)
how you gonna explain fucking a man?
even if we quashed the beef, I ain't shaking your hand
big homosexual
extraterrestrial
dick in asshole
SKEET

>> No.18100045

>>18099990
Fair enough. My core fetish demographic is gender bender fiction. I dabble in other stuff but most delves into that fetish. Transformation fetishes are broadly my expertise. So I'm on discords that match that.

>> No.18100351

>>18099172
>I wrote stories primarily about Shifters (Werewolves) who were also billionaires who liked rough anal sex. The fellow author I discussed the writing process with the most specialized in books about black single mothers meeting rich white alpha males.
I got a good laugh out of this. Did you ever just take a step back and realize how ridiculous it is? I don't think I'd be able to resist some humor, but I could see fetishists being stone cold serious about their smut.

>> No.18100358
File: 492 KB, 1080x2400, Screenshot_20210424-023357_Firefox.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there anything that cheapens art more than statistics?

>> No.18100482

>>18100351
All the time. However I would refrain from trying to be funny in the sex scenes, because no one wants a stand up routine, no matter how funny, to interrupt that. So long as you are not insulting the reader you can get away with lot.

>> No.18100495

>>18100358
I am guessing this is some algorithm that shits out a number dictating how accessible your work is to the average reader?

>> No.18100552

Tell me, /wg/, you know what you want to write (perhaps), but do you know what you want to read?

>> No.18100640

>>18100045
I should make a burner discord to hustle my stuff lol

>> No.18100645

>>18100552
Yes. I have the next several months BOOKED.
1. Finish the final volume of Knausgård's My Struggle
2. Knausgård's Out of the World
3. Bolano's Savage Detectives
4. House of Leaves
5. 2666
6. Hundred Years of Solitude
7. Knausgård's Morning Star (if it's already out by then)
I suppose I'll put Man Without Qualities up here someplace.

>> No.18100764

>>18100045
Wanna be my mtf fren

>> No.18100932

any good books that cover writing fundamentals? also for specific genre fictions?

>> No.18100981

Get a genre power level question

There's a demon that needs a human host and gives them power in exchange, think the Kyuubi from Naruto.
>Person A can contain 100% of the demon, but only use it at 20% efficiency
>Person B can use the demon at 100% efficiency, but if they have more than 20% of the demon they will lose their body to the demon

>> No.18101004

>>18100981
Fuck, I must be too tired this morning

I deleted the question from the post; who would be considered stronger?

>> No.18101074

>>18100045
>My core fetish demographic is gender bender fiction
Recommend me some good 'gender bender' that isn't 'TSF Monogatari', but is like it.

>> No.18101098

>>18101004
Considered stronger by whom?
Also, these two have different consequences.
>>18101074
So, smut? Maybe Curse Eater or Mezameru? Or something from Distance or Rueen Rouga.

>> No.18101100

>>18101098
I'll take non-smut as long as it is good.

>> No.18101129

>>18101098
>Considered stronger by whom?
The reader
>Also, these two have different consequences.
Hence the question.

I want the dynamic to be interesting, but Mr High Efficiency shouldn't outright outshine the main host

>> No.18101138

>>18101100
Non smut novels rarely gets fully translated. Maybe Wild Last Boss or Swamp Girl,

>> No.18101158

>>18101129
Honestly both power levels seem arbitrary until put into context. First seems fit for temporary limit breaks with exhaustion as drawback, second's drawback is being a danger to allies.

>> No.18101202

>>18101158
The context is Person A normally has the entire demon inside of them and keeps it under control. Extraordinary circumstances can lead to 20% of the demon going to Person B who is far more proficient with it, but he doesn't dare take more than that becuase even at 21% the demon will cut its losses, give up on the other 79% in favor of having control of B's body

Since the demon power is supposed to be A's shtick, I don't want it seeming like "why is A even in the question? B is way better with the demon than A!"

>> No.18101224

>>18101202
Well, the answer to that is A is the one who holds it because B is dangerous to allies.

>> No.18101243

>>18101004
The one without a fatal flaw.
In reality, nothing’s ever exactly 20%...so person A may fluctuate between 18% and 22% and person be fluctuates between 18% and well, shit, I guess we let the demon out.

>> No.18101285

>>18101243
A fair point, but an artifact of the simplification. The demon can split itself into 5 parts, and B can host 1 of the 5 safely, not 2 of the 5

The narrative character development is based on B teaching A how to control themself better and utilize more of the demon's power anyways

>> No.18101346

>>18100552
I've been trying to get back into reading only recently. Here's my list now.
>Finish The Once and Future King
>Finish Journey to the West (abridged)
>Start The Count of Monte Cristo
>Finish Lolita
>Start Heart of Darkness

>> No.18101365

>>18101346
Pretty good reading list.
You should consider reading the actual Le Morte d'Arthur and the unabridged Journey to the West if you liked what you have read so far. They are both pretty great.

Also, check out 'Lonesome Dove'.

>> No.18101469

>>18100552
I have a hell of a backlog and I'm not making nearly as much progress as I would like
>Count of Monte Cristo
>Sherlock Holmes (originals by Doyle)
>Pale Fire
>Lolita
>Nietzche
>The Wanderer's Havamal
>The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea
>Grimgar Tales of Fantasy and Ash

>> No.18101579

>>18101365
Le Morte d'Arthur and Gawaine&The Green Knight are on my buy lists right now. But before I buy them, I want to work through my other books. In the past I've had a bad habit of buying books and never finishing them (like everyone else on /lit/).

Why Lonesome Dove?

>> No.18101595

>>18101579
>Why Lonesome Dove?
I've read all the books you have listed, and really enjoyed them, so I assumed we had a similar taste.
Lonesome Dove is such a good, comfortable, well written book, I though I would suggest it.

You may also want to try;
>Tale of Genji
>Shogun
>Notre-Dame de Paris
>Musashi
>East of Eden

>> No.18101608

>>18100645
>Hundred Years of Solitude
that shit was kino

>> No.18101659

>>18101595
>Musashi
I love Takuan. The true form of the Buddhist monk is a master troll.

>> No.18101722

>>18101595
East of Eden has been on my long list for a while, I always thought just the name sounded good enough for me to read. Did you ever try This Side of Paradise, by chance? It's one of my favorites and inspired me to become more singular-character focused in a few of my projects, along with Stoner.

>> No.18102310

>>18100645
>Knausgård
>Knausgård
>Knausgård
Why are you so obsessed with this pretentious hack?

>> No.18102749

>>18097167
read the gods of pegana
90% exposition and it's good

>> No.18102759

All along the farmyard gables the swallows sat a-row, twittering uneasily to one another, telling of many things, but thinking only of Summer and the South, for Autumn was afoot and the North wind waiting.
And suddenly one day they were all quite gone. And everyone spoke of the swallows and the South.
“I think I shall go South myself next year,” said a hen.
And the year wore on and the swallows came again, and the year wore on and they sat again on the gables, and all the poultry discussed the departure of the hen.
And very early one morning, the wind being from the North, the swallows all soared suddenly and felt the wind in their wings; and a strength came upon them and a strange old knowledge and a more than human faith, and flying high they left the smoke of our cities and small remembered eaves, and saw at last the huge and homeless sea, and steering by grey sea-currents went southward with the wind. And going South they went by glittering fog-banks and saw old islands lifting their heads above them; they saw the slow quests of the wandering ships, and divers seeking pearls, and lands at war, till there came in view the mountains that they sought and the sight of the peaks they knew; and they descended into an austral valley, and saw Summer sometimes sleeping and sometimes singing song.
“I think the wind is about right,” said the hen; and she spread her wings and ran out of the poultry-yard. And she ran fluttering out on to the road and some way down it until she came to a garden.
At evening she came back panting.
And in the poultry-yard she told the poultry how she had gone South as far as the high road, and saw the great world’s traffic going by, and came to lands where the potato grew, and saw the stubble upon which men live, and at the end of the road had found a garden, and there were roses in it — beautiful roses! — and the gardener himself was there with his braces on.
“How extremely interesting,” the poultry said, “and what a re- ally beautiful description!”
And the Winter wore away, and the bitter months went by, and the Spring of the year appeared, and the swallows came again.
“We have been to the South,” they said, “and the valleys beyond the sea.”
But the poultry would not agree that there was a sea in the South: “You should hear our hen,” they said.

>> No.18103076

>>18102759
Drabble or part of a book?

>> No.18103122

>>18102759
I feel like some descriptions don't make sense. Homeless sea? Stubble that men live on? Lands at war makes me think about countries in war, and if so it's a interesting choice of words at least.

>> No.18103264

>>18103076
>>18103122
It’s a short story from Dunsany, thought this was the write Whats on your mind thread.

How do I do when I try to ape his style?

I wish that I could write of dreams as Dunsany did, of dreams of dreams and of still-virgin earth, of the soul of the heather flower and of the songs of the dew soon to fall from it, and of bluish Dawn unveiling her azure-and-gold curtain before my eyes.

When will I hear the voices of cities weep and seek their old inhabitants, when will I see the simurgh, king of the Birds, rise in the fire of my own heart? When will I know the sands which were before-endless-time?

Yet I am Dull, running I know not, nor of weeping nor the cities seen beyond the gates of sleeping when man is dreaming, Bah! So be it! I’ll plunder your gold, I’ll drink of your waters until my coat turns your color! I’ll walk as you walk until she, Blessed Urania, gives me a kiss prepared for another, then her perfume, the fume of storax and balsam and lavender shall fumigate my own spirit, phantom with phantom, then I will rest knowing I have shared this with you.

>> No.18103352

>>18103264
It seems you're pretty spot on. He seems to really like stringing clauses together with commas and semi-colons. Also
>Dunsany almost never rewrote anything; everything he published was a first draft.
I learned something new today.

>> No.18104026

>start working on my books again today
>almost at the end of the first arc/act/part/whatever
>just end up writing a page and a half of dialogue infodump about a court case that ends with pseudo-wank of the main character's boldness and confidence
Fuck it, I'll fix it later. I want to finish this shit so I can start working the whole part over from scratch.

>> No.18104100

>>18103264
>How do I do when I try to ape his style?
Don't.

>> No.18104151

>>18094142
24.99 dollars a month for a subscription? What the fuck. Has to be a way to get access to OpenAI's GPT-3 without paying an arm and a leg.

>> No.18104160

>>18098515
Based.

>> No.18104164

He's a question. Is it better to write a book you enjoy writing or should you write a book you would enjoy reading?

>> No.18104180

>see someone next to me in a class writing a story and not listening to the lecture
>oh, cool, maybe after class, I'll ask him what he's--
>see "Character gained X experience points"
>never mind

>> No.18104182

>>18104164
always write the book you want to read. writing is difficult and takes a lot of hard work. but while the hard times of writing are temporary, the joy of having written something will last forever.

>> No.18104337

>>18104180
What if it's a satire on the isekai genre and it aims to lampoon the genre for the sake of commentary?

>> No.18104372

>>18104100
Why not? Is the style bad or is my aping bad?

>> No.18104484

any tips for choosing a name for characters? I'm seriously a bit stuck since there are just too many names to choose from

>> No.18104638

>>18104484
I pick names that sound unique. Sometimes I take them from people I know, other books, or I made them up.

>> No.18104649

>>18104484
open a phonebook or find a baby name website. some of them organize names by language of origin and that's pretty useful i think.

>> No.18104721

>>18104337
There are several of those each season and they're all as shitty as regular isekai.

>> No.18104731

>>18104484
I normally name my character based around a theme. One of them is "cum." Some of the characters in my story are named Cumball, Cumboy, Cum-Cum, Cumbastard, and the King of Cum.

>> No.18104886

>>18104484
John Smith

>> No.18104897

>>18104484
just use the same character names for every story

>> No.18104901

I thought my writing peaked in 2019 after I wrote a beautiful story and haven't written even half as good since.
But now I'm editing my new project and holy shit it's so great, how did I do it? It's too good for such a retard like me

>> No.18105051

>>18104901
I'm happy for you, anon. Your writing skills always increase with time.

>> No.18105086

>>18104372
I think Dunsay's style seems dated and overly pretentious. But write what you want to write and read, anon.

>> No.18105148

>>18104484
Something I started doing recently was making names based off a character's personality. One guy I just made is named Karlyle because he's very humanitarian.

>> No.18105352

/wg/, I think my writing career's going out with a whimper. I'm burned out, I've stopped writing, I don't even have enough time anymore to get back in the habit, and I haven't had a good idea in years. I can't even talk to people about it because they're too busy with their lives to listen to me

I don't know what to do

>> No.18105385

I'm just over 135k words on a novel and I'm starting to feel a bit of a slump, but I think it's mostly because the last few days I've tried to really nail out a lot of writing per day. Mostly I'm feeling not as into the story and creating it as I was, and I think it's because when I was treating it as something I'd only work on when the whimsy to do so grabbed me creatively it was fun, but now that I'm really trying to make sure I actually finish it in good time it's feeling like "work".

Are there anons here who have a writing schedule they really stick to well or a "words per day" you try to get down? I'm afraid making it too rigid will kill the creative passion, but being too loosey-goosey with how often I write will make it something that just never gets done until I'm 50 or something. I have many projects and I don't want to delay more for one.

>> No.18105450

>>18102759
i kinda like this desu

>> No.18105455

>>18105385
I have the opposite problem where I'm too loosey goosey myself. In the past, I've tried to set writing goals per week. "Finish chapter 2", "write 8000 words", "plan this section or chapter", etc. Since starting a new job, I haven't been consistent with this and I'll go days or even weeks without writing a word. I don't agree with writing until it feels like work, but I do agree with treating it as a project and having an expectation of a timeline, and sometimes you have to really grind in to finish your projects. I quoted this before but Thomas Harris has a really good philosophy about how he approaches writing as a craft.

>> No.18105562

>>18105385
I used to have a 500 word a day goal that I kept to, taking one night off a week to play dnd. Then corona happened and my famliy started a 9:00 meeting every week that I had to come to, and my writing group got moved to 10pm. because I always wrote before bed, these got in the way and I fell off my schedule, maybe managing an average of 100 words a night. Eventually I stopped writing altogether. Every attempt to clear those obstructions has failed and I'm too stressed and too ashamed of myself to try I feel like a beached whale waiting to dry out and die

>> No.18105620

>>18105385
I write a minimum of 1700 words per day, bear in mind that a first draft is designed to be cut down later on. Just write shit and keep writing until you're done, the real work is reading it all later and unfucking it.

>> No.18105639

>>18105620
>the real work is reading it all later and unfucking it
I already have the problem that the amount I have down already is hard to sift through and find specific points in even with ctr + f functions. Half my time is finding things in the jumbled out of order document and putting things in the order they should be narratively roughly. But then I'll still come across sections that should be elsewhere or that I'd even forgotten I'd already written.

>> No.18105678

>>18105639
>jumbled out of order document
Jesus christ what are you doing? You should write sequentially and/or have a proper plot outline and a system for sorting the snippets. Writing down random sections of a book then trying to stitch them together without a proper plan is a recipe for failure. Until you actually have everything sorted and divided up properly you should focus entirely on that or else you'll just end up with a heap of shit.

>> No.18105687

>>18105639
This would be the point someone would shill Scrivener. Also see >>18105678, just keep things in order.

>> No.18105707

>>18092806
I hate to ask this question but: how do you keep track of your world-building and characters for larger novels? I'm working on a sci-fi thing right now, and I'm wondering if there's something more efficient than just taking notes.

>> No.18105729

>>18105086
Ah, I consider him one of my favorite writers in terms of prose, who do you consider your favorite/s in prose ?

>> No.18105734
File: 21 KB, 270x668, image_2021-04-24_200745.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18105707
Obligatory Scrienver post I guess. It's like a virtual binder where you can write the fiction in itself and use it as an organizer for a variety of things.

>> No.18105781

I'm still not done editing my first book, and now I've got two other ideas I'm excited to write. The temptation to say "fuck this book, I'll just go write one of the other ones and make it need less editing" is strong.

>> No.18105815

>>18105734
>It's like a virtual binder
I know a program like that. Its got a graphical user interface and everything. Its called Windows 3.1. Its really convenient. Some people say its a little outdated but there are newer versions available as well. You should consider using one of those. If the whole graphical thing doesn't really appeal to you they also have this program called DOS. Or you could go totally nuts and try GNU + Linux.

>> No.18105827
File: 71 KB, 541x691, 1428711335517.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18105815
alright, you gave me a giggle, it's a good program though.

>> No.18105852

>>18105781
Do it. I've got two projects going on right now that I flip between, one that's a single novel and one that's the first of a much bigger multi book story.

>> No.18105995

>>18105678
It is according to a plot outline and detailed plan, the sections just weren't in that order until I ordered them. Now it's filling in all the massive gaps.

>> No.18106100

>>18104151
Eventually there probably will be, but right now it’s in beta.
It actually takes a ton of computation to run, idk the whole economics of it, but if you use it even a moderate amount $25/mo is a steal. This AI is absolutely brilliant, and a fantastic way to generate ideas and push through blocks.

>> No.18106102
File: 9 KB, 237x213, index.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's 6:30 AM, I was writing the entire day since 2 PM.
I want to keep writing but sun can't let me work in peace. I want to write, let me fucking write! I want to finish my work

>> No.18106117

>>18106102
Sleep, anon, sleeeeep. We can write another time. Our body needs sleeep?

>> No.18106136

>>18106102
Word count and how you avoided distractions? 16 hours is a hell of a long time to write straight.

>> No.18106226

>>18106100
>$25/mo is a steal
yes it is. right out of your wallet

>> No.18106297

>>18105734
That's cool but I have to agree with >>18105815. What's so special about Scrienever?

>> No.18106322

>>18106297
>>18081913

>> No.18106406

>>18102310
Why are you so butthurt about your nephew's books Gunnar?

>> No.18106415

>>18106102
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5WIG1onKSk

>> No.18106436

>>18100645
>Bolano
>Bolano
Why are you so obsessed with this pretentious hack?

>> No.18106589

>>18106406
Honestly, people read Knausgard for the same reason they watch reality TV; out of a perverted desire to peep at other people's private life, and not because his books have any actual literary merit. The guy destroyed his family to make a riveting narrative out of it. All he deserves is spite, not a religious following.

>> No.18106633

How do you write female characters?

>> No.18106652

>>18106633
I think of a man, then I take away reason, and accountability.

>> No.18106654

>>18106633
Like a male character except less logical and rational. More to the point, an expertly written female character will have all the appearances of acting rationally, but upon closer examination all that rationale should be able to fall away and expose the fact that they are just making ex post facto rationalizations for the way they feel emotionally.

>> No.18106659
File: 71 KB, 500x628, I don't like thing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18106589

>> No.18106681

>>18106652
>>18106654
What is it like to be male and act based on pure reason with no influence of emotion?

>> No.18106704

>>18106681
Empty and utilitarian, like trying to sprout from cracks in the pavement.

>> No.18106706

>>18106681
It's alright.

>> No.18106808
File: 42 KB, 475x375, metbh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18092806
Has anyone else noticed that most people online tend to incorrectly use a comma to connect two independent clauses? i.e. a comma splice.

Ever since I've deepened my understanding of the english language and the grammar surrounding it, I've noticed that almost everyone online uses comma splices -- whether they're a forum poster, a blogposter, a social media user, an amateur writer, or a journalist, I've noticed that they all tend to gravitate towards comma splices within their writing styles. I understand why they do it; they want the half stopping power of the comma, but they don't seem to understand (or maybe they don't care) that a comma can only connect an independent and a dependent clause.

So, with that in mind, should I care?
I'm currently planning out a webnovel, and it would be so much easier to write it, if I just stopped caring and violated the rules of grammar by using comma splices. Sure, I could use semicolons, em dashes, and colons in place of a comma splice, but that requires more effort and though, and I fear doing so would only lead to me being labeled pretentious.

>> No.18106833

>>18106808
>it would be so much easier to write it, if I just stopped caring and violated the rules of grammar by using comma splices
What, exactly, do you think is the mechanism for the establishment and evolution of language? A lot of "improper" comma usage is rooted in aversion to the formality of the semicolon.

>> No.18106834

>>18106808
It's common because it reflects how most people think and speak. The use of colons and semicolons, while grammatically correct, tend to feel overly formal and stiff to modern readers. If you want to sound like a fanfiction writing zoomer then use comma splices, but if you have literary aspirations I'd recommend using grammar correctly. You fucking brainlet.

>> No.18106877

>>18106808
I have four different levels of writing: "Discord" (ungrammatical, whatever I need to convey my point, sometimes intentionally shitty), "4chan" (proper grammar but I'll make breaks from it if it conveys my opinion better), professional (used in academic settings and at work), and prose (used in regard to how it reads artistically).

Only pseuds use perfect grammar across all platforms. A good writer doesn't waste their talents on somewhere like Discord. Someone who uses proper grammar when messaging their friends probably isn't a good writer, and they probably have unintentional mistakes in their formal writing.

>So, with that in mind, should I care?
Published authors can get away with breaks from grammar like comma splices. If you're unpublished and showing your manuscript to an agent, they won't like your comma splices and will think you just didn't know what you were doing.

>> No.18106911

>>18106808
these are some of the punctuation mistakes that i see people make ALL THE TIME (in chat) and drive me quite a bit annoyed

space before colon
>I need two volunteers : male and female
more spacing bullshit with hyphens
>Wow, that was quite an eye- opener
>Thursday- 28 March 2019
these ellipses
>What a sad movie..
>I know right....
>(with spacing bullshit) The trek was long....but it was worth it
and there's this that guy who flat out refuses to use full stops
>I'm currently planning out a webnovel, sure I could use semicolons......but that requires more effort, I fear doing so would only lead to me being labeled pretentious.

thankfully i don't remember any more

>> No.18106990

>>18092806
Was not happy with the first version of this, what do you guys think of the revision?

>> No.18106994
File: 50 KB, 698x617, no.17 r-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18106990
The clown says, forgetting the picture

>> No.18107005

>>18106994
I still don’t like it

>> No.18107007

>>18107005
Thanks, bud

>> No.18107015

>>18092994
>I have continued to recite ornate Jewish chimpanzee parables with diminishing return
lost it

>> No.18107017

>>18106994
For some reason the Armageddon line is so jarring, it really messes up the flow. I don’t really read poetry at all though, so feel free to disregard.

>> No.18107018

>>18106994
Why are you posting an excerpt? This does nothing to show us anything about your story.

>> No.18107032

>>18107018
t. worthless plotfag idea guy

>> No.18107038

>>18107032
I want a chapter, or something longer to read than an excerpt.

>> No.18107047

>>18107017
The Armageddon/contempt lines aren't part of any rhymes and were meant to separate the first four from the last seven. I got maybe a little too weird with a few of the rhymes and that might contribute to the jarring feeling.

>> No.18107050

>>18105352
>I don't know what to do
Stop writing? It's obvious that you find Writing to be a chore.

>> No.18107051

>>18106994
There's a lot in here which reads very archetypal, in that faux-revelatory, kinda-pompous way which characterizes a lot of neophytic creative writing. For example:
>let me paint with the brush of
Armageddon
Put bluntly: it reads like the bottled product of someone who loves the smell of their own farts.

>> No.18107052

>>18107018
It's a poem, that's the whole thing

>> No.18107057

Any mental/practical tips on dealing with a complex story and different plot threads? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this problem. I keep revising to see if I'm not forgetting things and second-guess the story structure (but that might be a problem I could solve on my end).

I'm tempted to keep writing but at some point I might have to do something about it.

>> No.18107060

>>18107052
Wouldn't this be better in the Poetry thread? Isn't that why it was created?

>> No.18107072
File: 123 KB, 592x900, the_pacifist-richard_hescox.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18107051
That's all very fair. For context, pic related is what I started off from.

>> No.18107074

>>18107057
Write them as separate stories and once you’re done drafting them, on your second, third or whatever draft, start to integrate them and continue from there.

>> No.18107084

>>18107074
Thanks that sounds helpful.

>> No.18107088

>>18107060
I swear, every time I come back here you guys are doing something different for crit threads. I also don't see a "poetry thread" up at the moment.

>> No.18107100

>>18107084
I was having the same trouble as you for my story. Though as a tip, pay attention to your chapters on how you write them and other such details like how much time has pass, or if another character did something and it affected another character story. Since, in the end they’re going to be as “one” story and not separate.

>> No.18107105

>>18107088
Poetry and Flash Fiction are there own things now. Some anon, who hates anime is trying to bring back /crit/ but it keeps dying.

>> No.18107106

>>18106102
Hi bros I just woke up after 5 hours it's time to write the whole day!

>> No.18107109

What is the phenomenon called when you are thinking about buying something, and start seeing it everywhere?
I know there is a name for it, I just can't for the life of me remember what it is.

>> No.18107114

>>18107109
Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon

>> No.18107118

>>18107106
god I wish that were me

>> No.18107139

>>18107088
>I swear, every time I come back here you guys are doing something different for crit threads
To be fair, they do deserve their own crit threads.

>> No.18107171

I'm having my weekly crisis of confidence. Made the mistake of sharing a short story (which I posted here a day or two ago) with my mom, and now she's using her biological backdoor into my brain to try to get me to change my vision for what I want my writing to do. It makes me not want to write anymore, if even my own mother can't understand what I'm going for.

>> No.18107177

>>18107171
You shared this with us because you need an ego boost so I'm going to tell you to stop being such a fucking worm instead.

>> No.18107178

>>18107171
Haha why are you so weak?

>> No.18107185

>>18107177
"Commiseration" would be a little more accurate.

>> No.18107195

>>18107178
I'm a human being. Anyone who claims not to have a weakness to them with which they have to battle and claw at is a liar.

>> No.18107198

bump

>> No.18107234

>>18107171
What compelled you to share with family?

>> No.18107244

>>18107234
Whatever it was, it sure as shit wasn't an invitation for critique. Probably just another moment of weakness.

>> No.18107249

>>18107244
So you can't handle critique of your work?

>> No.18107260

>>18107249
If I couldn't, I would never post it, which I do. I guess I just expected more of a nurturing dynamic. I can get critique from an effectively infinite amount of similarly unqualified people. It just wasn't what I was looking for.

>> No.18107263

>>18107260
Anon, you don’t pick and choose what critique you get. Who knows, maybe someone sees something you don’t.

>> No.18107272

>>18107263
Yeah I mean taking a step back and getting quantitative about it, I expected a thing and didn't get the thing I expected. As a consequence I am experiencing an emotional reaction to that gap between what I wanted and what I got. I'm not entirely self-unaware.

>> No.18107280

>>18107272
What critique did you want?

>> No.18107281

>>18107280
I didn't. I wanted emotional support. I wouldn't ask that of strangers, but it seems like a reasonable request for your family.

>> No.18107286

>>18107185
Stop being pedantic.

>> No.18107294

>>18092994
Going to be a bit serious, but are you any closer in actually finishing your novel?

>> No.18107299

>>18107281
>emotional support
Yeah, I’m done talking.

>> No.18107301

>anon, what does "level up" mean?
>why do all of these girls want to have sex with the main character
>so what's the point of this story?
>shouldn't you be writing something more mature?
m-mom please

>> No.18107302

>>18107286
I'm not. Saying I'm asking for an "ego boost," beyond referencing archaic pseudoscience, is the singular most negative interpretation. I don't find a whole lot of utility in being overly negative these days. Commiseration is a more neutral way of stating what I was looking for which doesn't lose any precision in the process.

>> No.18107305

>>18107299
That's entirely your prerogative. If it makes you feel better, I have no expectation of a response.

>> No.18107306

>>18107301
You deserve it for sharing with family. I write erotica and I don't share it with family.

>> No.18107332

>>18107105
>Poetry and Flash Fiction are there own things now.
The problem with them is that they keep dying and people here are still posting poetry or their flash fiction.

>> No.18107341

At what point does a work become edgy? I’m current Writing a story that’s Dark, and I’m scared that readers are going to view it as edgy. So, what’s the limit?

>> No.18107359

>>18107341
>At what point does a work become edgy?
I never liked these type of questions, for one, the answers you will receive will be arbitrarily and subjective, and that's not getting into the possibility of some anons just fucking with you. Second, just write your story first and worry about that later.

>> No.18107370

>>18107359
I just want to cover my bases, and have some sort of understanding before I fuck due to not knowing the problem.

>> No.18107392

>>18107370
The edge will probably have an audience anyway so stop worrying and write. Look at how successful books like American Psycho became. As long as the edge isn't cheesy it should be fine.

>> No.18107397

>>18107341
>reader perception
if you're worried about it write something else
if you want to write this then don't be so cucked
say what you have to say

>> No.18107400

>>18107392
Yeah, but I’m writing a capepunk story about crime and I’m wondering if certain crime scenes would be viewed as edgy and unnecessary.

>> No.18107422

>>18107397
I can understand his reluctance. With today's society, you can lose everything with a single wrong post.

>> No.18107444

>>18107400
Bruh. Seriously, there's enough niche markets that you don't need to worry about that stuff. If your writing is good then people will read it.
If you're confident in your abilities who cares about how edgy it is?

>> No.18107466

bump.

>> No.18107472

>>18107466
What the fuck are you doing? Stop bumping the thread when its in page 2.

>> No.18107543

>>18107444
You’re most likely right, still though, it doesn’t hurt to be cautious now does it?

>> No.18107577

>>18107301
You're doing a LitRpg? Never understood the appeal of the genre. Wouldn't it be better to just make Fantasy or some MMO novel?

>> No.18107590

>writing a break-up story
>don't want to turn it into BTB or RAAC
>don't know how to logically end it, other than having the MC kill himself

>> No.18107592

>>18107590
Have the MC kill himself. What's the problem?

>> No.18107604

>>18107592
Feels a little pathetic in all honesty, but forgiveness also feels pathetic.
I feel like I have wrote myself into a corner, where the MC has all these problems and emotions, and there is no way back for him without coming across as a bit of a pathetic wimp.

>> No.18107613

>>18107604
Well anon, you can either have the MC kill himself or do the forgiveness. Bite the bullet and pick one.

>> No.18107627

>>18107604
If the story ends on that naturally, then do that. No need to try and find a different ending.

>> No.18107646

>>18107590
You should watch 5cm/s. It's one of Shinkai's better works.

>> No.18107655

>>18107646
I don't read Japshit.

>> No.18107676

>>18107655
Good because it's a movie.

>> No.18107688

>>18107676
I don't watch it either Eisenstein.

>> No.18107702

>>18107688
Do you want help or no?

>> No.18107713

>>18107655
Why are you on 4chan?

>> No.18107731

>>18107702
I would be grateful to receive some decent advice. I don't want you to suggest I watch some emotionally stunted Bugman's hentai when I'm asking an honest question.

>>18107713
To discuss /lit/erature.

>> No.18107734

>>18107731
Go back to R*ddit you colossal faggot

4chan is an anime image board

>> No.18107743

>>18107734
This board is for the discussion of literature retard. If you want to talk about anime then I suggest you use one of the many boards that are explicitly for the purpose of discussing anime.

>> No.18107745

>>18107702
Not >>18107590 >>18107604 btw.
Just another angry anti-anime fag.

>> No.18107755
File: 36 KB, 365x500, 1408070747795.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18107745
>Just another angry anti-anime fag.
What are you on about?

>> No.18107763

>>18107755
He's a shitposter shitting up the thread, ignore him.

>> No.18107801 [DELETED] 

>>18107590
>>18107604
Don't be a pussy kill her and become a leftist darling for sacrificing the straight white man on the alter of political correctness.

>> No.18107810

>>18107801
*altar

>> No.18107817

>>18107734
I'm the biggest animefag there is but you should really provide literary examples when discussing how to write literature.

You do have some to draw from, don't you?

>> No.18107819

>>18107763
Some people really need to get out more!

>> No.18107827

>>18107817
Oh, in that case, read the novelization of 5cm/s

>> No.18107840

>>18107827
I asked about that ten fucking posts ago retard. Why are you being so obtuse?

>> No.18107843

>>18107840
Because someone is being a little bitch for no reason.

>> No.18107855

>>18107072
No, it wasn't fair. I shat on you because I was feeling poorly about myself. I'm sorry, anon.

>> No.18107856

>>18107843
Figures that a bitch would recommend anime on a literature board.

>> No.18107866

>>18107856
Anon, the initial question was about storytelling.
How can you possibly not be a closed-minded fool if you dismiss every storytelling medium that isn't the written word?
I hate to say it but NGMI.

>> No.18107868

>>18107863
New Thread.

>> No.18107874

>>18107866
Stop posting like a little bitch.

>> No.18107875

>>18107866
Are you that Cosmic Heroes fag who admitted that the only "book" he read was Youjo Senki?

>> No.18107877

>>18107875
It probably is lmao.

>> No.18107883

>>18107868
Why do you fags always create a new thread before the bump limit.

>> No.18107894

>>18107875
>>18107877
Are you guys still seething that animefags are the only writers on /wg/?

>> No.18107913

>>18107894
I am an animefag but I recognize that authors need to read books, enjoy books, and write books and not the script to an anime.

>> No.18107914

>>18107875
I've read plenty and I don't know what Youjo Senki is, but as >>18107894 pointed out it seems the self-proclaimed /lit/fags are not the ones who I see do much writing anyway.

>> No.18107923

>>18107868
You disgust me.

>> No.18107928

>>18107914
>self-proclaimed /lit/fags are not the ones who I see do much writing anyway.
Of course, not. They're more focus on making early threads because they're afraid of the animefag

>> No.18107931

>>18107923
Should we let that thread die and make a new one?

>> No.18107947

>>18107923
>>18107928
>>18107931
The amount of seethe you fags generate could power a third world country. It was never your thread buddy, you were just posting in it.

>> No.18107953

>>18107947
>You're not wasting your precious time watching e-whores, are you?
Imagine being this self-unaware.

>> No.18107954

>>18107947
You've intentionally stifled discussion with your hatred of anime and act like you have the moral high ground.
Worse, you've made me take the side of the animefags. Just wait until bump limit you stupid spamming faggot, it isn't hard.

>> No.18108014

>>18107954
>You've intentionally stifled discussion with your hatred of anime and act like you have the moral high ground.
I'm more surprised they keep attacking the anons who are even writing to begin with. Don't know why they hate them so much.

>> No.18109129

>>18106633
If you want a woman to be a compelling protagonist? Exactly like a man with boobs. I'm not trying to an edgelord or anything, but in general terms men are socially expendable and require some kind of struggle in order to make themselves worthy. This means that the basic structure of most stories, where setbacks are overcome to arrive at some goal or resolve some sort of problem, and where the character undergoes change, is inherently masculine in nature.

A truly realistic female POV does not make for a compelling character arc, a fact which is tacitly admitted by, like, the entire entertainment complex. A part from say, romance novels and rom-coms.