[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 61 KB, 569x681, Plotinos.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18006037 No.18006037 [Reply] [Original]

Super amazing concepts, incredibly interesting, but painful to read.

The language is so different. passions, appetites, and the general structure and way of speaking. It feels like I'm reading the KJV of the bible rather than the NIV, or reading the canterbury tales in their original middle english. I tried looking up an audiobook to try and listen to it on my walks, but they got kermit the frog to record it, with what seems like an odd translation. https://youtu.be/fdpAdstnmWU

I do like his clarification of past platonic ideas; showing how the good is actually contented to us, and how it sits at the top, and all proceeds from it. his treatment of the problem of evil I found to be enjoyable as well; treating evil as more of a deficiency, or a lack of, rather than a positive force.

>> No.18006063

lol that guys voice is funny sounding

>> No.18006070

>>18006037
Read algiz uzdanyvis heart of Plotinus

It's a translation of the best bits and was also easy to understand

>> No.18006081

>>18006070
thank you, ill have a look. ive mainly been having a hand at the SEP, and peter adamson's history of philosophy podcast. i need to rewatch those a few times, he has multiple entries on plotinus.

>> No.18006293

>>18006070
wtf libgen is awesome

>> No.18007212

he's a nihilist buddhist