[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 20 KB, 330x413, a3a45697e82cffcc69a2cdffebf6521e84-23-thomas-pynchon.rvertical.w330.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17971929 No.17971929 [Reply] [Original]

Marge Piercy, Dance the Eagle to Sleep
>Here is somebody with the guts to go into the deepest core of herself, her time, her history, and risk more than anybody else has so far, just out of love for the truth and a need to tell it. It's about time.

Don DeLillo, Mao II
>This novel's a beauty. DeLillo takes us on a breathtaking journey, beyond the official versions of our daily history, behind all easy assumptions about who we're supposed to be, with a vision as bold and a voice as eloquent and morally focused as any in American writing.

Peter Matthiessen, Far Tortuga
>I've enjoyed everything I've ever read by Matthiessen, and this novel is Matthiessen at his best-- a masterfully spun yarn, a little otherworldly, a dreamlike momentum . . . It's full of music and strong haunting visuals, and like everything of his, it's also a deep declaration of love for the planet. I wish him and it all kinds of fortune.

Richard Farina, Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me
>This book comes on like the Hallelujah Chorus done by 200 kazoo players with perfect pitch.

Steve Erickson, Days Between Stations
>Steve Erickson has that rare and luminous gift for reporting back from the nocturnal side of reality, along with an engagingly romantic attitude and the fierce imaginative energy of a born storyteller. It is good news when any of these qualities appear in a writer-- to find them all together in a first novelist is reason to break out the champagne and hors-d'oeuvres.

Jim Dodge, Stone Junction
>Here is American storytelling as tall as it is broadly imagined and deeply felt, exuberant with outlaw humor and honest magic. Reading Stone Junction is like being at a nonstop party in celebration of everything that matters.

Rudolph Wurlitzer, Nog
>Wow, this is some book, I mean it's more than a beautiful and heavy trip, it's also very important in an evolutionary way, showing us directions we could be moving in--hopefully another sign that the Novel of Bullshit is dead and some kind of re-enlightenment is beginning to arrive, to take hold. Rudolph Wurlitzer is really, really good, and I hope he manages to come down again soon, long enough anyhow to guide us on another one like 'Nog'.

James Hillman and Michael Ventura, We've Had A Hundred Years of Psycho Therapy And The World's Getting Worse
>This provocative, dangerous, and high-spirited conversation sounds like one that many of us have been holding with ourselves, more and less silently, as times have grown ever darker. Finally somebody has begun to talk out loud about what must change, and what must be left behind, if we are to navigate the perilous turn of this millenium and survive. For bravely lighting up these first beacons in the night, Ventura and Hillman deserve our thanks as well as our closest attention.

George Saunders, Civilwarland in Bad Decline : Stories and a Novella
>An astoundingly tuned voice - graceful, dark, authentic, and funny.

>> No.17971943

Who

>> No.17972232

>>17971943
Some hack.

>> No.17972518

Anonymous, My Diary Desu
>Startlingly prescient, deeply disturbing, elegant in execution and profoundly banal - Anonymous maintains a confounding, yet masterful lack of control over the contents of this massive, sparse, rambling tome. As much a takedown of his forefathers as an elegy for his own neurons, it attacks everything and nothingness with a barrage of tirades that only reveal their lack of meaning upon an eleventh reread. I look forward to the twelfth.

>> No.17972539

Richard Farina, Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me
>This book comes on like the Hallelujah Chorus done by 200 kazoo players with perfect pitch

This is so pynchon its un-fucking-believable, but what does this even mean?

>> No.17972546

>>17972539
It means he liked it.

>> No.17972752

>>17972546
Well no shit but why? What is the compliment he's giving?

>> No.17972809

>>17972752

it's absurd

>> No.17972824

does pynchon read any good books? i don't see a single one listed.

>> No.17972845

>>17972824
He did an intro for 1984

>> No.17972882

>>17971929
only tangentially related but kinda interesting. Here's Rushdie on meeting Pynchon.
>"Thomas Pynchon looks exactly like Thomas Pynchon should look," said Rushdie. "He is tall, he wears lumberjack shirts and blue jeans. He has Albert Einstein white hair and Bugs Bunny front teeth."
>The evening "started a little stiltedly", he added, "and then he relaxed and became very chatty and there was a moment when it was 3am and my eyes were dropping when he said, 'I guess you guys are getting a little tired, huh?' And I was thinking, 'Yes! But it's Thomas Pynchon, so wake up!' And when this long, affable evening came to an end I thought now we are sort of friends, and every so often we will see each other. And he never called again, from that day to this."

>> No.17972980

>>17972845
Hyahayahauajayahahahaehaeeeee!
Nineeyayeeeforeeee pleb book! Ngiga rede pleb tecksts hawhawhawhaw welcum 2 da sirculyerk

>> No.17972987

>>17972980
crass, but correct

pynchon seems to read little but contemporary literature

>> No.17973762

>>17972882
>He is tall
From that one picture of his with his 7 year old son, he barely looks 5'8

>> No.17974131

>>17973762
His 7 year old son was 5'11''.

>> No.17975576

>>17974131
damn

>> No.17976515
File: 162 KB, 678x381, 6536C327-A67A-41AD-8F8F-46C21D475DEA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17971929
Warlock by Oakley Hall
>Tombstone, Arizona, during the 1880’s is, in ways, our national Camelot; a never-never land where American virtues are embodied in the Earps, and the opposite evils in the Clanton gang; where the confrontation at the OK Corral takes on some of the dry purity of the Arthurian joust. Oakley Hall, in his very fine novel Warlock has restored to the myth of Tombstone its full, mortal, blooded humanity. Earp is transmogrified into a gunfighter named Blaisdell who, partly because of his blown-up image in the Wild West magazines of the day, believes he is a hero. He is summoned to the embattled town of Warlock by a committee of nervous citizens expressly to be a hero, but finds that he cannot, at last, live up to his image; that there is a flaw not only in him but also, we feel, in the entire set of assumptions that have allowed the image to exist. It is Blaisdell’s private abyss, and not too different from the town’s public one. Before the agonized epic of Warlock is over with—the rebellion of the proto-Wobblies working in the mines, the struggling for political control of the area, the gunfighting, mob violence, the personal crises of those in power—the collective awareness that is Warlock must face its own inescapable Horror: that what is called society, with its law and order, is as frail, as precarious, as flesh and can be snuffed out and assimilated back into the desert a easily as a corpse can. It is the deep sensitivity to abysses that makes Warlock, I think, one of our best American novels. For we are a nation that can, many of us, toss with all aplomb our candy wrapper into the Grand Canyon itself, snap a color shot and drive away; and we need voices like Oakley Hall’s to remind us how far that piece of paper, still fluttering brightly behind us, has to fall

>> No.17976531

>>17971929
Did he dieded ?

>> No.17976568

>>17971929
Such a unique way with words. These blurbs are worth thousands of glowing reviews

>> No.17976887

P Y N C H E D

>> No.17977059

>>17976568
Except when he blurbed for this stupid jazz band

>> No.17977163

>>17976568
>Such a unique way with words
Oh c'mon, they read like some redditor was asked to review the books.

>> No.17977609

Pynchon has access to the deepest lore; he is merely a summarizer

>> No.17977781

>>17972539
Pynchon and Farina were good friends. When Farina got killed in an "accident" it scared the shit out of Pynch and is a big reason that he is a recluse. What he wrote about Farina's only novel is an incredible compliment.
His blurb for Mao II cracks me up because the book is about an author that is a mix of Pynch and Gaddis, and it would have been incredibly obvious that he was reading about a fictional version of himself

>> No.17977885

>>17977781
Was that in 'Journey into the mind of P' ?
I dont quite remember.

>> No.17979099

>>17972539
>>17972752
I take it to mean he thinks the book has a great beauty in spite of its unusual style and presentation

>> No.17979798

>>17972539
Is this book actually good?

>> No.17979848

>>17979798
Haven't read it personally but it gets shilled quite a bit on lit