[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View postĀ  Ā 

File: 1.21 MB, 1464x1986, Nietzsche187a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17825079 No.17825079 [Reply] [Original]

Nietzsche argued that there were two fundamental types of morality: "master morality" and "slave morality". Master morality values pride and power, while slave morality values kindness, empathy, and sympathy.
Slš˜¢ve morš˜¢lity is the inverse of mš˜¢ster morš˜¢lity. š˜ˆs such, it is chš˜¢rš˜¢cterized by pessimism š˜¢nd cynicism.
How is it so? How could cynicism and pessimism possibly be negative attributes? They are useful in teaching us to be careful when navigating the world, don't they?
If Nietzsche considered the world as being inherently tied with suffering, don't the above attributes help us in lessening suffering?

>> No.17825742

The conception of master/slave morality is pessimistic, and cynical, in itself.

>> No.17825765

>>17825079
>master/slave
I love how politically incorrect Nietzache is and just shits on everything that has to do with 2021 morality retroactively kek

Truly one of the greats of western thought

>> No.17825802

>>17825079
You wont understand Nietzsche at all unless you understand his primary concern as addressing the dialectic between the West/Europeans and the Jews. I'm not kidding either.
When Nietzsche talks about master morality, hes talking about the Greco-Roman virtue ethics that praised things like self reliance, physical and intellectual excellence, etc because they created a healthy and capable race of beings. Slave morality is the series of ethical value systems that sprung forth as a bitter reaction by the weak against the strong, basically; he argued that this took the form of Judaism and Christianity in the West and that, compared to our original Hellenistic values, the results have been disastrous for us and indeed for mankind.

>> No.17825850

Please tell me this is a misinterpretation of master/slave morality because this is fucking retarded and I really can't believe that Nietzsche was this narrow minded anymore. I know I should read him myself but I've been avoiding him because of how ridiculously stupid everything I've heard about his beliefs is and it just seems like a waste of time, but surely at a certain point he can't be that dumb and it must be midwits misinterpreting him, otherwise why would he be so popular in the first place?

>> No.17825857

>>17825850
This
>>17825802
Is the correct interpretation