[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 101 KB, 889x600, hero-960.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17598875 No.17598875 [Reply] [Original]

In this thread we invent art movements of our own.

>Texturalism: Texturalism is a movement that focuses solely on the texture of an art piece. The narrative, plot, character development, melody, chord progressions, script etc. are either of secondary importance or do not exist at all as texturalists focus on the texture of a singular scene with no commitments to traditional structure. The goal is to distill the whole down to the most eminently singular scene, atmosphere, musical movement etc. that will invoke the full narrative experience in one's mind on its own. The motto of texturalism could be encapsulated in the following motto: The eminently singular as the vessel of the unportrayable transcendent whole.

>> No.17598894
File: 28 KB, 474x438, cuppa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Imagined Effervescence

The movement is about how the farts of women with large posteriors would smell.

>> No.17599179

>Infernalism: Infernalism is a movement that focuses on the darkest, most twisted aspects of the human psyche, reveling in the grotesque, the macabre, and the surreal. The goal of infernalism is to distill the whole down to the most miserable and nightmarish scene or sequence that one can imagine, in order to express the full spectrum of human misery, without any reference to a transcendent reality, but rather taking full advantage of our imagination in the immanent reality.

>Confrontationalism: Confrontationalism is a movement that focuses on reacting viscerally to a given image or scene, as if it had physically hit one in the face. The goal of confrontationalism is to distill the whole down to the most utterly confrontational scene or experience that one can imagine, with the sole purpose of generating strong, visceral reactions in the audience's mind.

>Anti-ironicism: Anti-ironicism is a movement that focuses on earnestness, sincerity and honesty without any comedic, ironic or satirical aspect to a piece. The goal of anti-ironicism is to distill the whole down to the most earnest scene or experience that one can imagine, because nobody in the real world is genuinely funny or sincere, with the sole purpose of inspiring people to be more earnest, sincere, and honest.

>> No.17599223

>>17599179
>Infernalism
gay
>Confrontationalism
gay
>Anti-ironicism
already done

>> No.17599242

>>17598875
>The eminently singular as the vessel of the unportrayable transcendent whole.
But the entire point of texture is variation, not singularity. Also isn't distilling the whole down to a non-structured form describing the interpretive "texture" of the piece basically the core of impressionism?

>> No.17599272

>>17599242
singular applies to scene/moment/movement

>impressionism
too conventional and still too cognizant of narrative

>> No.17599287
File: 49 KB, 1400x787, pic7_-_earing-mr_cj1depd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.17599318
File: 143 KB, 1000x670, f422d044-c677-49bb-be3f-fa26ece6cc87.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17599287
Bill Henson does a somewhat good job of it visually but I think it's still just grasping at the basics of what can be done

>> No.17599327

>>17598875
>The movement is about how the farts of women with large posteriors would smell.
Based Bill Henson poster
There is a photographer of /p/ take a lot of inspiration from him by his work is very closer to traditional painting mixed with contemporary decedent aesthetics.

https://archive.nyafuu.org/p/thread/3804199/#3804217

>> No.17599337

>>17599327
Honestly I dislike Henson's acts and I dislike the decadent stuff as well. I know his acts are probably considered the best thing he's done, but to me they are the least interesting of his work.

>> No.17599400
File: 276 KB, 1280x867, Kikuji-Kawada-The-Map.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17599337
What other photographers do you like?
You should checkout about a photobook called Chizu by Kikuji Kawada.

>Originally published on August 6, 1965 to commemorate the bombing of Hiroshima, the guiding idea of Kikuji Kawada's memorial is archaeological layering. Using multi-panel foldouts, the "various layers inside peel away like archeological strata. The whole process becomes one of uncovering and contemplating the ramifications of recent Japanese history. Kawada's photographs are a masterly amalgam of abstraction and realism, of the specific and the ineffable, woven into a tapestry that makes the act of reading them a process of re-creation in itself. In the central metaphor of the map, in the idea of the map as a series of interlocking trace marks, Kawada has conjured a brilliant simile for the photograph itself: Scientific record, memory trace, cultural repository, puzzle, and guide"

Photobook filip though of the book:
>https://vimeo.com/116055568

>> No.17599421

>>17599400
I'm not a fan of photography, I just accidentally discovered Henson and liked him aesthetically, he fit the criteria for what I was looking for in art in a more philosophical sense.

>> No.17599430

>>17599421
I'd say in film I'd ALMOST like Tarkovsky, but he is too banally romantic for my purposes. I like that icon shot in Rublev though if only he took away the music entirely or replaced it with something else.

>> No.17599435

>>17598875
>transcendental texturalism: a movement that argues that texturalism's mere focus on "texture" in favour of discarding plot, narrative, and characterization is utterly childish as all these flow together to build precisely that which texturalists claim to focus on. Their motto: All is texture; texture of textures.

>> No.17599438

>>17599421
>I'm not a fan of photography
You're missing out on tons of great artwork.

>> No.17599446

>>17599438
I am sure, I just have too many other proejcts and interests right now to devote much time to exploring photography.

>> No.17599485

>>17599430
>Don't like decadence
>Don't like romanticism
What do you like?

>> No.17599536

>>17598875
>mydiarydesuim
>mydiarydesuists are poets that abide by only one creed: telling people asking a question or looking for something, that the answer they seek is to be found in their diary without ever sharing anything of said diary. The artistic goal is to reveal the universality of human experiences while increasing the empathy of the reader, not towards themselves but towards the word itself. The word has been experienced by others and you are never alone. The mythical diary can be seen as containing the world itself and as such is assimilated with the divine logos, a permanent self-creating word.

>> No.17599577

>>17599536
Beautiful.

>> No.17600035

>>17599485
Something that transcends these dichotomies or categorization.

>> No.17600146

>>17599242
Is impressionism considered something pseuds take up? Like "baby's first art" type of thing? You know like entry-level Nietzscheans in philosophy or existentialism.

>> No.17600565

>>17599536
woah

>> No.17601655

bump

>> No.17601666

>>17600035
Like what?

>> No.17601740

>>17601666
Precisely that which is in-between that avoids easy classification. For me the art I always liked and hoped I could do is to allow someone to walk away from the particular art piece with a feeling in the gut/heart/soul/being that transcends easy classification. I find that interesting, I don't like things that seem too easy to put into a box, but that is just my personal taste, not saying those things are not great or anything. When Tarkovksy adds the grandiose music to ending of Rublev, for me it moves into sensuality, excess sentimentality, artifice...it's the same reason I don't like most of Henson's portrayal of nudes, there is to me something artificially sentimental in them, it's a false kind of glory. Again I'm strictly speaking about what that causes in me, I'm not saying that is the case for all people. But the art I'm interested in is plainly ambigous in one sense but inviting to the person to approach it and find in it that gut feeling that transcends categorization and perhaps even evokes a tear. Iirc Mel Gibson wanted to do the Passion without any music and without any subtitles at first (only spoken Aramaic, Latin etc.). I think he had the right idea.

>> No.17601805

>>17601740
I don't like "large" ideas. I like the idea of God speaking as a whisper as opposed to the human expectation that he will surely manifest as some grandiose thing. Even the Bible has this kind of moment that I'm interested in:

9 There he came to a cave and lodged in it. And behold, the word of the Lord came to him, and he said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” 10 He said, “I have been very jealous for the Lord, the God of hosts. For the people of Israel have forsaken your covenant, thrown down your altars, and killed your prophets with the sword, and I, even I only, am left, and they seek my life, to take it away.” 11 And he said, “Go out and stand on the mount before the Lord.” And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper.[a] 13 And when Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And behold, there came a voice to him and said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

I like to see that art has this kind of sublime moment beyond the grandiose constructions and large ideas. I'd like to see in the singular moment, perhaps mundane, simple and humble the trace of the unutterable transcendent glory. To me that is interesting, of course it becomes more subjective to what someone is personally impacted by, while grandiose constructions ensure a large amount of people are impacted by it. But I have to evaluate art as I enjoy it rather than what it would appear like to others.

>> No.17602745

nobody else has any ideas for an artistic movement?

>> No.17602809

>>17599179
>>Anti-ironicism: Anti-ironicism is a movement that focuses on earnestness, sincerity and honesty without any comedic, ironic or satirical aspect to a piece. The goal of anti-ironicism is to distill the whole down to the most earnest scene or experience that one can imagine, because nobody in the real world is genuinely funny or sincere, with the sole purpose of inspiring people to be more earnest, sincere, and honest.
why do people obsess about this concept so much?

>> No.17603875

>>17602745
>regurgitationalism: a movement based on the idea that all art is derivative and should be embraced as such. Defining characteristics as described by Poe Sood involve the deliberate repetition and simultaneous distortion of previous (often celebrated or successful) elements, concepts, and even entire projects, the goal of which being the full absorption of all art into man's psyche by, as Poe Sood explains, "vomiting up the past and consuming it again and again, undigested pieces, stomach acid and everything else that comes with it, whether blood, bone and flesh, or other objects". One of the associated catchphrases is usually rendered as "7 stomachs are not nearly enough", and another one as "formless blob good"

>> No.17603943

>>17602809
Irony filters brainlets

>> No.17604067

>>17603875
>pathologicalism: an art movement primarily concerned with depictions of mental illness through the deliberate overuse of artistic means and techniques, gained international notoriety when its founder, Dumess Bidge, stuttered her way to fame when she called regurgitationalism's foremost public figure, Poe Sood, a "n-nig-nigga-niggardly coward with no artistic sensibilities whatsoever", likening him in the process to a soulless automaton and a bundle of sticks. Not content with simply being known as "the mental illness artstyle" she has stated that her wish was not merely to give the layman an understanding of such issues but to instill these problems into as many people as possible since, according to her, there is no cure for it, only a leveling of the playing field. One of her outbursts was most notably sampled by the experimental hip hop group DEATH GRIPS.