[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 376 KB, 1693x2000, Russian-Artist-Ivan-Kramskoy-Christ-in-the-Desert-oil-on-canvas-1872.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17407804 No.17407804 [Reply] [Original]

>Best poems, paragraphs, quotes, phrases, verses, etc., about Christ (the most beautiful and poetic ones).

I am not a religious person, but I was recently interested in the extremely original idea of a being who is both deity and man. It really is a wonderfully poetic concept: a being that carries the soul of all humans who were and will be in his flesh, a deity who had to eat and sleep, who sweated and bleed, who had gastric juice in his stomach and sperm in his loins, who was burned by the sun and chilled by the dew of the desert nights, but who at the same time had, in that carcass of flesh - as if in an echo, in a mixture of sleep and vigil - the memory of the creation of all the stars and the reverberation from the first cry of the universe when it bursted from the womb, drenched by the shimmering amniotic fluid of the beginnings.

Here, in this version of divinity, God is flesh and blood, struggling, questioning, asking himself and his father which is the right way, and finally, after great suffering, earning the right to say, on the cross, "It is accomplished." It is not just a diamond of pure spirit, but a diamond that has the larvae of human weaknesses pulsing within its guts.

I am ignorant of theological questions and knowledge about the religions of the world, but it seems to me that the myth of Christ is the only version that exists of the mind that dreamed the labyrinths of all creation being, at the same time, a mind where the mice of all human weaknesses (fear, doubt, depression, anger, reluctance, lust) run and bounce.

>What great literary passages do you know that talk about this?

>> No.17407835

En ces temps merveilleux où la théologie
Fleurit avec le plus de sève et d'énergie,
On raconte qu'un jour un docteur des plus grands,
Après avoir forcé les cœurs indifférents ;
Les avoir remués dans leurs profondeurs noires ;
- Après avoir franchi vers les célestes gloires
Des chemins singuliers à lui-même inconnus,
Où les purs esprits seuls peut-être étaient venus, -
- Comme un homme monté trop haut, pris de panique,
S'écria, transporté d'un orgueil satanique :
Jésus, petit Jésus ! Je t'ai poussé bien haut !
Mais, si j'avais voulu t'attaquer au défaut
De l'armure, ta honte égalerait ta gloire,
Et tu ne serais plus qu'un fœtus dérisoire !

Immédiatement sa raison s'en alla.
L'éclat de ce soleil d'un crêpe se voila ;
Tout le chaos roula dans cette intelligence,
Temple autrefois vivant, plein d'ordre et d'opulence,
Sous les plafonds duquel tant de pompe avait lui.
Le silence et la nuit s'installèrent en lui,
Comme dans un caveau dont la clef est perdue.
Dès lors il fut semblable aux bêtes de la rue,
Et, quand il s'en allait sans rien voir, à travers
Les champs, sans distinguer les étés des hivers,
Sale inutile et laid comme une chose usée,
Il faisait des enfants la joie et la risée.

>> No.17407860

Borges "3 Versions of Judas"

>> No.17407877

Apollinaire's The Heretic

>> No.17408059

“The more he approached the people and perceived their anger-filled eyes and the dark, tortured fierceness of their expressions, the more his heart stirred, the more his bowels flooded with deep sympathy and love. These are the people, he reflected. They are all brothers, every one of them, but they do not know it—and that is why they suffer. If they knew it, what celebrations there would be, what hugging and kissing, what happiness!”
― Nikos Kazantzakis, The Last Temptation of Christ

>> No.17408085

>>17407804
nice post op

>> No.17408261
File: 236 KB, 800x1097, Sistine Madonna (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17407804
>"It was otherwise with the Christian religion. Its founder was not wise, but divine (1);"
>Footnote 1. "Ihr Gründer war nicht weise, sondern göttlich"—evidently in answer to Nietzsche's "The founder of Christianity, as is self-evident, was not without the greatest defects and prejudices. . . . Socrates excels the founder of Christianity by his buoyant type of earnestness and that wisdom full of roguish ruses which constitutes the best state of mind for man. Moreover he had the greater intellect."—Menschliches, vol. ii. "Wanderer," aphor. 83 and 86.—Tr.
>"But that picture of Raphael's shews us the final consummation of the miracle, the virgin mother transfigured and ascending with the new-born son: here we are taken by a beauty which the ancient world, for all its gifts, could not so much as dream of; for here is not the ice of chastity that made an Artemis seem unapproachable, but Love divine beyond all knowledge of unchastity, Love which of innermost denial of the world has born the affirmation of redemption. And this unspeakable wonder we see with our eyes, distinct and tangible, in sweetest concord with the noblest truths of our own inner being, yet lifted high above conceivable experience. If the Greek statue held to Nature her unattained ideal, the painter now unveiled the unseizable and therefore indefinable mystery of the religious dogmas, no longer to the plodding reason, but to enraptured sight."
- Wagner

>> No.17408276

>>17408261

The baby seems to be scared

>> No.17408292
File: 38 KB, 400x388, 1494268083864.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17408059

>> No.17408309

>>17408059
>>17408292
Garbage book and garbage movie, you are both infidels with a kitsch "modern spirituality."

>OMG JESUS IS JUST LIKE MEE!!!
You have neither Faith nor Godliness.

>> No.17408316

>>17408309
have sex

>> No.17408354

https://poetryarchive.org/poem/journey-magi/

>> No.17408426

“How often the priest had heard the same confession--Man was so limited: he hadn't even the ingenuity to invent a new vice: the animals knew as much. It was for this world that Christ had died: the more evil you saw and heard about you, the greater the glory lay around the death; it was too easy to die for what was good or beautiful, for home or children or civilization--it needed a God to die for the half-hearted and the corrupt.”
― Graham Greene, The Power and the Glory

>> No.17408527

“Morrerão milhares, Morrerão centenas de milhares, Morrerão centenas de milhares de homens e mulheres, a terra encher-se-á de gritos de dor, de uivos e roncos de agonia, o fumo dos queimados cobrirá o sol, a gordura deles rechinará sobre as brasas, o cheiro agoniará, e tudo isto será por minha culpa, Não por tua culpa, por tua causa, Pai, afasta de mim este cálice, Que tu o bebas é a condição do meu poder e da tua glória, Não quero esta glória, Mas eu quero esse poder.”
― José Saramago, O Evangelho Segundo Jesus Cristo

>> No.17408566

>>17407804
Who has believed what we have heard?
And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?
2 For he grew up before him like a young plant,
and like a root out of dry ground;
he had no form or comeliness that we should look at him,
and no beauty that we should desire him.
3 He was despised and rejected by men;
a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief;
and as one from whom men hide their faces
he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he has borne our griefs
and carried our sorrows;
yet we esteemed him stricken,
smitten by God, and afflicted.
5 But he was wounded for our transgressions,
he was bruised for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that made us whole,
and with his stripes we are healed.
6 All we like sheep have gone astray;
we have turned every one to his own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted,
yet he opened not his mouth;
like a lamb that is led to the slaughter,
and like a sheep that before its shearers is dumb,
so he opened not his mouth.
8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away;
and as for his generation, who considered
that he was cut off out of the land of the living,
stricken for the transgression of my people?
9 And they made his grave with the wicked
and with a rich man in his death,
although he had done no violence,
and there was no deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it was the will of the Lord to bruise him;
he has put him to grief;
when he makes himself an offering for sin,
he shall see his offspring, he shall prolong his days;
the will of the Lord shall prosper in his hand;
11 he shall see the fruit of the travail of his soul and be satisfied;
by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant,
make many to be accounted righteous;
and he shall bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore I will divide him a portion with the great,
and he shall divide the spoil with the strong;
because he poured out his soul to death,
and was numbered with the transgressors;
yet he bore the sin of many,
and made intercession for the transgressors.

>> No.17408594

>>17407804

Master and Margarita by Bulgakov is nice, but I fear there's no single quote that captures the mood you're asking for (the scene with Pilates is a long dialogue, doesn't really makes sense to copy paste it here).

>> No.17408616
File: 29 KB, 400x400, Ejukrp1U0AAK-HC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17407804
I was reading about The Great Fire of Rome and after reading about who could've possibly be responsible for this thing I've realized, it was neither Nero or Christians. It was actually a natural fire because of the architecture, the way the buildings were built back then. No one did it, yet both of the sides tried to use this tragedy and fire to their own political gains and propaganda. Christians blamed Nero and his servants, Nero blamed Christians and brutally persecuted them. It all made me realize one thing. Christianity wasn't only a religious movement from the start. It was also a political movement who was capable of being shitty and using Jewish tricks. So yeah, fuck Christians.

>> No.17408707

>>17407804
I think this is a very relevant story that starts with a discussion of beautiful images of Christ.
https://archive.org/details/NikolaiLeskov-SentryAndOtherStories/page/n203/mode/2up
Another edition has a nice preface:
https://books.google.ru/books?id=vJ_Tyja4VAQC

>> No.17408737
File: 44 KB, 512x288, unnamed (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>chantards larping as Christians

>> No.17408839

>>17407804
I’m partial to St. Francis’ Prayer myself:

Make me a channel of your peace,
Where there is hatred let me bring your love,
Where there is injury your pardon Lord,
And where there’s doubt true faith in you.

Where there’s despair in life, let me bring hope,
Where there is darkness, only light,
And where there’s sadness, ever joy.

O Master grant that I may never seek,
So much to be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love with all my soul.

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
In giving of ourselves that we receive.
And in dying that we’re born to eternal life.

O Master grant that I may never seek,
So much to be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
And to love as to love with all my soul.

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
In giving of ourselves that we receive.
And in dying that we’re born to eternal life.

Make me a channel of your peace.”

>> No.17409076

>>17408616
>It was also a political movement who was capable of being shitty and using Jewish tricks. So yeah, fuck Christians.
Humans being humans, more at 11

>> No.17409165

>>17408616
They were ancients thinking like ancients. Thats how it worked in antiquity. Tragedies happened because someone had stepped on the toes of the gods, or in the case of early Christianity, God. Blaming your enemies or culturally clumsy strangers for incurring divine wrath is paganism pure and simple. Ovid mentions an incident where a wife is praying for her husband's safe return, and the goddess is angry that she is sullying her altar since her husband is already dead and she is technically in mourning. Why did Troy fall? Because there were more Gods against it than for it, and an ancient injury to Poseidon needed to be avenged. You're thinking like a modern and therefore unable to grasp these events in their proper context.

>> No.17409289

>>17407804
>When creating us, God loved us so much that he made us to own image and likeness; when redeeming us, he loved us so much that he made himself to our image.

Among the parables that Jesus used to illustrate the various aspects of his kingdom, the one about the sower of seed stands out (Mt 13:1-9). Under the figure of a man sowing a plentiful measure of seed, which falls on most varied kinds of ground - a road, stony placy, amid thorns, on good soil - he is pointing out, on the one hand, God's prodigality in planting his kingdom everywhere, and on the other indicating the necessary conditions for us to receive the seed, that is, "the word of the kingdom," and make it bear fruit in our hearts.

The word of the kingdom is Jesus' teaching on the kingdom of heaven, it is his entire gospel, moreover, it is himself, eternal Word of the Father, sown in our humanity, so that becoming man like us, he translates God's word into human language.

The seed -- "the Word -- contains within itself the power to sprout and produce its kingdom in every man; but, like the seed in the field, it does not produce this effect unless it finds the soil ready and suitable for receiving it.

We need to be that "good soil," like the heart of Mary who welcomed the Word of God within her; she was his mother, not only because she gave him birth in time, but even more because she kept the word in her heart and expressed it in her life according to her Son's teaching: "My mother and my brethren are those who hear the word of God and do it" (Lk 8:21).
-Fr. Gabriel, Divine Intimacy

>> No.17409524

>>17408085

thank you. it's a very interesting subject

>> No.17409629

>>17409076
>>17409165

These