[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 77 KB, 1600x900, Knausgaard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16444996 No.16444996 [Reply] [Original]

>"Perhaps because I have always had such a weak ego, always felt myself inferior to all others, in every situation. Not only the brilliant individuals I have met, who with their charisma, intelligence and talent have outshone all others, but also taxi drivers, waiters, train conductors, in fact every kind of person one can possibly meet out there. I am inferior to the man who washes down the stairs and the corridors in the building in which we live, he possesses an authority greater than mine in that situation, so if he says something about the buggy, for instance, and the balance bikes left outside our door, in a voice that carries even the slightest hint of annoyance, I tremble. I am inferior to the female assistant in the shoe shop when I go in to buy shoes, she has me in her hands, so to speak, full of an authority to which I yield. But the worst for me are waiters, since their role is so obviously to serve and be there to please, it is their job to submit to the wishes of their customers, and the fact that I feel inferior to them, at their mercy even, the fact that they can see that I’m not a good diner, for instance, and don’t quite know how to taste a wine, or what it’s supposed to taste like, matters in which they are expert, is a humiliation every time. And it goes on. All the journalists I meet, even those twenty years younger than me, are my betters, and I always do what I can not to bore them, often saying things I don’t even mean simply in order to present them with something."

>> No.16445019

>>16444996
The Slightly Underground, Perhaps in a Trench, Man

>> No.16446237

That part about the waiters is kind of hot.