[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 62 KB, 390x293, monk-in-meditation-yokami-arts.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16192178 No.16192178 [Reply] [Original]

Can immortality be achieved by separating your consciousness and mind from your physical form?

>> No.16192193

>>16192178
Death will separate these things naturally.

Do a flip.

>> No.16192208

You sound like a preacher only instead of the bible you have a dictionary

>> No.16192274

Kill yourself.

>> No.16192355

>>16192274
This but unironically. Only by killing the self can you achieve immortality.

>> No.16192368

>>16192178
the wish for immortality is born of fear of inevitable.
you will die. to fear death is to live your live crippled by fear

>> No.16192391

Depends on what you mean by "immortality". You could theoretically keep hopping bodies forever (ignore the "how"), but then you'll also die when heat death of the universe (or the big crunch) kicks in, so are you really immortal if you just live a reeeeeeeeeeally long time? No.

>> No.16192399

>>16192178
if by "your mind" you mean anything pertaining to an identity or personality or single being then no. Very gay and faggot mistake to think that the reality your experiencing now can in any resembling shape be taken into Nirvana or enlightenment. These are in fact the elimination of your reality and the dissolution into the universe. No "you" will be present in that immortality, only the oneness of everything.

>> No.16192530

>>16192399
Together we will live forever!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Whuf6C_T8tc

>> No.16192544

>>16192178
You're immortal whether you like it or not. There's no soul or after life either.

>> No.16192805
File: 48 KB, 440x285, 440px-Vishnu_and_Lakshmi_on_Shesha_Naga,_ca_1870.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16192178
Your Consciousness is already separate from your physical form, the issue is not one of extrication but that of misidentification. The body and the mind appear in Consciousness as It's objects, people in ignorance misidentify with that which they observe, believing "I am this body", "I am this mind", instead of knowing "I am the Consciousness which observes them".

Consciousness is already immortal, beginningless and undecaying. When people misidentify with the body and mind, they superimpose the status of being an embodied doer and agent on their Consciousness, and consequently seem to suffer birth, death and transmigration without realizing that the Consciousness in which these phases appear is Itself unconditioned and unchanging.

If immorality were achieved as a result which was produced by another cause, it would come into existence as a produced thing, but produced things by definition cannot be immortal. If something were truly immortal it would already exist eternally. If something that was non-existent came into existence as a contingent effect it would be liable to decay and destruction. Hence, the only way immortality could be achievable would be that if it were already a fact, i.e. if the soul was already immortal. The only way an already pre-existing fact about oneself or one's soul (immortality) could be 'achieved' were if that fact were obscured via ignorance and that ignorance removed through knowledge, which is why the Upanishads inculcate knowledge of the Supreme Self, or Consciousness.

>> No.16192942

>>16192178
You're already immortal, whether you want to be or not.
I'm sorry.