[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 752 KB, 1152x1600, 1453519821170.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16050178 No.16050178 [Reply] [Original]

>A recent news item indicated that the US Government had been planning a website that would enable people to place bets on the likelihood of terrorist events. It was hoped that a study of market trends would enable intelligence agencies to anticipate and prevent such events.

>The idea was mooted by Admiral John Poindexter, head of the Total Information Awareness Program and bears some resemblance to a scheme mooted by Jim Bell. Bell, an MIT graduate had proposed a scheme which uses cryptography and the Internet in order to eliminate corrupt public officials. His scheme rewards those who correctly predict the date of death of such officials. However, the identities of the successful predictors were to be kept secret by using public key encryption methods. Bell claims that his scheme, if universally adopted, would lead to the elimination of government itself. Society would regulate itself by the threat of assassination of those acting inimical to its interests. No other regulatory mechanism, he claims, would be required.

https://idsa.in/system/files/strategicanalysis_sukumaran_0604.pdf

lol. Also, any good cyberpunk books with assassination lotteries or markets?

>> No.16050444

Nice toots

>> No.16051211
File: 21 KB, 597x559, EcaEJPVXsAIF0Im.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>2003
>recent
>nothing to do with second paragraph, which is retarded anyway
>rest of article is just about cryptography
thx anon

>> No.16051266

>>16050178
Imagine if she got captured by the enemy haha I wonder what they’d do to her haha imagine if she was being held for interrogation and the enemy soldiers teased her by bothering her sensitive feet with feathers that would be cruel haha

>> No.16051277

>>16051266
lol!

>> No.16051318 [DELETED] 

They have these already. I did some "superforecaster" study on mechanical turk one summer where each week I would make a shitload of predictions about obscure events, and I'd get paid $16. When I called it correctly that Trump would meet Kim Jong Un in the next two weeks, I was in the top ten for a little while, haha. It wasn't just military stuff though, sometimes they would ask you to try to predict commodity prices like cobalt or whatever. That was always way harder than guessing if Iran would have a coup in the next 60 days, or how many casualties the Ethiopian military would have in July, etc. It was an academic study, but you can find public communities where people do this shit constantly. It was pretty fun.

>> No.16051469

>>16050178
Shit tier feet

>> No.16051573

>>16050178
Dang she's cute. And not that I know of, but I haven't read many cyberpunk books

>> No.16052304

I have just the thing for you! Very autistic but it is sort of cyberpunk and it does incorporate prediction markets

https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/HawFh7RvDM4RyoJ2d/three-worlds-collide-0-8