[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.21 MB, 1464x1986, Nietzsche187a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15951194 No.15951194 [Reply] [Original]

Can someone help me find the Nietzsche aphorism that essentially says "if one denies one thing, one denies the whole", and also which one of his works it is from?

>> No.15951289

he really thought he was the ultimate critic of systematic philosophy.
Deleuze has a quote, that i think, it was inspired by Nietzsche:
>A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window

>> No.15951491

He says the contrapositive of that in Thus Spoke Zarathustra part 4, "The Drunken Song", Section 10:

Did you ever say Yes to a single joy? Oh, my friends, then you said Yes to all woe as well. All things are chained together, entwined, in love–

– if you ever wanted one time a second time, if you ever said ‘You please me, happiness! Quick! Moment!’ then you wanted it all back!

– All anew, all eternally, all chained together, entwined, in love, oh then you loved the world–

– you eternal ones, love it eternally and for all time: and even to woe you say: Be gone, but come back! For all joy wants– Eternity!

>> No.15951591

>>15951491
Yes, I am aware of both forms of the contrapositive, the other being from The Will to Power:
>For nothing is self-sufficient, neither in us ourselves nor in things; and if our soul has trembled with happiness and sounded like a harp string just once, all eternity was needed to produce this one event—and in this single moment of affirmation all eternity was called good, redeemed, justified, and affirmed.
I am looking for the version where nothing can be denied because I am positive in that aphorism he says that each moment needs to be affirmed in itself and not just simply in reference to its necessity for some favourable moment. I am interested in this formulation of amor fati because it connects so beautifully to Bataille's concept of sovereignty.

>> No.15952259

Bump