[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 30 KB, 700x505, nietzsche_0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15697426 No.15697426 [Reply] [Original]

what did I lose if Nietzsche was my first exposure to philosophy? is it possible to make up for the foundations and context I did not have?

>> No.15697432

>>15697426
/lit/ in a shellnut

>> No.15697442

>>15697426
what? does reading nietzsche first content-lock all other philosophy for you or somethiing? retard. philosophical reading isnt a linear procss. u will read and reread and reread

>> No.15697517

>>15697442
>u will read and reread and reread
no i dont think i will

>> No.15697544

>>15697426
What this anon said>>15697442

But yes you must destroy all the foundations you have learnt from Nietzsche and be earnest about it, be sincere enough in your will to actually remove his ideas entirely out of your mental consideration and hopefully reject them. You can return but for now you shouldn't like him, everything that makes Nietzsche good and okay is by what came before, otherwise you will have both a perverted view of the world as Nietzsche did as well as a lack of understanding of the world as Nietzsche didn't.

For example, there's a reason why Heidegger advised to study Aristotle for ten years before reading Nietzsche. These foundations are holy, and necessary, and entirely dependent of the structure of truth and espousing it where Nietzsche is not; he is a cultural figure, philosophical poetry. The few specifically-nominative and interesting "ideas" within his work that can actually be called that in no way make up for this lack of foundation in Nietzsche.

This is all really quite possible and easy, just start reading the Bible, Plato, Aristotle and Homer and Dante and the likes and maybe a reading around Schopenhauer if you're having trouble negating Nietzsche. Or you could go forward and Heidegger might again also be helpful in negating him so you could return to the past greater figures. Personally I would recommend you read Plato, Homer, Carlyle and the Bible.