Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

If you can see this message, the SSL certificate expiration has been fixed.
Become a Patron!

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 261 KB, 1200x750, Guenon Based.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
15586088 No.15586088 [Reply] [Original]

what did guenon believe happens after death?

>> No.15587362

"...for it is obvious that the profane person who dies is not thereby initiated, and the distinction between the profane order (including in this not only what lacks a traditional character but also all exoterism) and the initiatic order is truly the only one that goes beyond the contingencies inherent in the particular states of the being, and consequently the only one that has a profound and permanent value from the universal point of view. In this regard it will suffice to recall that all traditions stress the essential difference between the posthumous states of the profane and of the initiated; if the consequences of death, taken in its usual meaning, are thus conditioned by this distinction, it is because the change that gives access to the initiatic order corresponds to a higher degree of reality."

Perspectives on Initiation ch 26, Initiatic Death excerpt from paragraph 1

>> No.15587532

Basically it depends on whether or not the person who dies is an initiate. He doesn't really spend too much time talking about salvation in the Christian sense, which is obvious if you consider that salvation is in itself exoteric, as it is a preservation of the human state, and for the esoteric the human state is something to be transcended.

If you want to know what guenon thinks of a profane who dies, he doesn't really go into much detail, at least in reign of quantity which is what I think of when I ask that question. He says there that profanes who die, but those who attach themselves to counter-initiation can be tossed into the eternal flame especially if they are sorcerers or have some pretense towards the infernal. As guenon puts it "when speaking of the false spirituality in which some beings, who are engaged in a sort of inverted realization, lose themselves, this way can only end at last in the total disintegration of the conscious being and in its final dissolution." And later he says for those who have gone less far in the same infernal direction are "abandoned on a road that leads nowhere, to which they may be confined for the indefinity of an aeon or cycle"

As for typical profanes, he mentions in spiritist fallacy that the ancient view of metempsychosis (transmigration of the soul) is completely different than the modern idea of reincarnation. Basically he says that it's impossible for a being to become human more than once via metempsychosis since that would put a limit on universal possibility. As for explaining what metempsychosis is, I can only ask Plato for aide, since he mentions it in the Republic, that people take a lottery to see what creature they become in their next life.

>> No.15587579

>>15586088

Midwith denial of death, muh spirit

>> No.15587661

>>15587362
This post is embarrassing, I finished reading the chapter I referenced and it basically answers the question far better than this confusing excerpt. If you want to know what Guenon thinks of death literally just read the chapter I referenced, he goes through it all way better than I could express it here.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action