[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 44 KB, 401x465, Deutscher_Idealismus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15449833 No.15449833 [Reply] [Original]

If idealism were true, why would our mind construct a reality that seems to be tricking us into thinking that our mental states arise out of physical interactions? Why would we even perceive our mental states being associated with a lump of meat inside our heads that evolved from a bunch of molecules randomly knocking into each other a few billion years ago?

I'm probably just retarded and don't understand but it seems like modern scientific knowledge makes these things pretty strange to believe.

>> No.15451058

>>15449833
I don’t know what you mean by Idealism but Kant’s response would be that we’re not being tricked but that the study of the brain etc belongs to the realm of empirical knowledge of appearances and not what lies beyond or grounds their appearance. I don’t know anything about Hegel

>> No.15451270
File: 68 KB, 595x298, 2020-05-25-173852_1920x1200_scrot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fichte, Schelling, and Hegel's entire philosophy is an explanation of that very question. Maybe read any of them. It won't be explained to you in a post on 4chan, they wrote volumes to deduce objective representations.

>> No.15451975

>>15451270
I have no idea how you people read german idealism in enlgish.
I read all of Schellings work through to 1801 and I have no idea what that last sentence means. It seems obfuscate compared to the clarity it ahs in german.

>> No.15452173

>>15451975
are you ESL? the last line seems perfectly normal to me.

do you plan on reading later Schelling? imo his Fichtean phase and Natural philosophy are pretty bad but essay on human freedom, ages of the world, and phil of revolution are great

>> No.15452192

>>15452173
>Fichtean phase and Natural philosophy are pretty bad
his Fichtean pahse is the best, and Natural philosophy is the necessary "opposing" wing to transcendental philosophy even if it falls under it subsequently.
I have shied away from reading middle or late Schelling cause I want to read Hegel first and only read the stuff from Schelling that is necessary till the early Hegel texts.
>are you ESL?
when reading english philosophy it certainly seems so.

>> No.15452193

>>15449833
Your view is too narrow. Because you are so wrapped up in the notion that modern science is absolutely true, you have removed all other notions that you could be wrong. And in fact you are wrong because one day every scientific discovery we make will be refuted.

>> No.15453008

>>15451270
OP here, that quote actually explains a lot for me, thanks. I guess I really should just stfu and read.
>>15452193
>Because you are so wrapped up in the notion that modern science is absolutely true, you have removed all other notions that you could be wrong.
I don't think that at all, I'm just wondering about explanations as to why the universe should appear the way it does.