[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 40 KB, 240x280, 1584276215451.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15279111 No.15279111 [Reply] [Original]

Lad's, I've just realised God exists.

Books to read for what I am to do with this newly gained knowledge?

>> No.15279120

start with the classic, YHWH's book.

>> No.15279124

Brothers Karamazov

>> No.15279171

>>15279111
J.L. Mackie - The Miracle of Theism.

>> No.15279175

>>15279111
How did you come to that conclusion?

>> No.15279184

>>15279175
Semi mystical personal experience on high amounts of drugs

>> No.15279203
File: 50 KB, 494x488, 1587539033467.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15279184
nice. plan to replicate soon.

>> No.15279208

>>15279203
Careful tho, don't fall into the Vedic/Hindu trap. That's the devil talking

>> No.15279213 [DELETED] 

>>15279184
Then it was not a mystical experience, you should be able to reach that conclusion by mere reason and mediation and then expanding rough mysticism and faith. Read Augustine.

>> No.15279223

>>15279184
Then it was not a mystical experience, you should be able to reach that conclusion by mere reason and mediation and then expanding trough mysticism and faith. Read Augustine.

>> No.15279245

>>15279184
This seems a bit inappropriate as a way of truth-seeking.

>> No.15279249

>>15279223
>Then it was not a mystical experience
Why?

>>15279245
What would be appropriate?

>> No.15279268

>>15279249
Clear thought.
However, in that way, you will never reach the historical determinants of a religion (that is, the figure of the prophet and their deeds, as described in the religion's sacred text).

>> No.15279273

>>15279223
>>15279245
>>15279268

It's hard to be spiritual in this modern day due to programming. I need to break down the barriers in my mind.

Honestly reading Kierkegaard and Jung while high in the sky is super enlightening

>> No.15279279

>>15279249
>Why?
For starters, because you're not the first druggie who thinks he solved the secrets of the universe while having a trip. Supposing that you can describe your experience, write it down on a paper and read it tomorrow, and see if it makes any sense.
Also, i highly doubt that God would choose to give a mystical experience to somebody while having a drug trip... but what he does it's beyond me, so i'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.
Nevertheless, i insist on you reading Augustine. Start with the Confessions. As i said before, if you're not a brainlet, you can know for certain that God exists and it's real by mere reason and meditation. Divine revelation it's a possible way of obtaining that truth, but it's not the only option.

>> No.15279293

>>15279184
Then you already had a vague belief in a God. Drugs have a tendency to enforce your own beliefs. That's why so many Christians claim to have seen Jesus during a trip.

>> No.15279342

>>15279268
>Clear thought
Sure.

The nice thing about hallucinogens are both their intensity (assuming you taking enough), and how brief said experience is. They only need to be taken once to open you up to the possibility of the, "supernatural". I'd also imagine it's a fun way to kill a couple hours, however that's just a plus.

Once the trip is over, you can return to your studies.

>>15279279
I want to be clear, I've never taken any serious drugs, nor have I claimed that any one dose, regardless of it's size, is going to lead to any massive revelation that didn't already exist within you. I just realize the benefits psychedelics offer, both in the immediate and in the long run. Specifically in the experience itself, which can't really be found anywhere else (outside maybe intense meditation).

>Nevertheless, i insist on you reading Augustine. Start with the Confessions
It's on my reading list. I'm wrapping up NT now. Up next, Understanding the Bible by Harris, then Confessions.

>> No.15279408

>>15279342
>I just realize the benefits psychedelics offer, both in the immediate and in the long run.
OP, I'm afraid that, on the long run, this could actually harm your ability to reach this kind of knowledge. I knew some really smart people with their minds ruined by something as simple as pot.
Not only you don't need psychedelics to reach transcendent knowledge, but there's also a great dignity on reaching deep understanding by your mere reason. Of course, not all transcendent knowledge will come by reasoning, and, as i said, there's where faith and revelation will be necessary, but believe me when i say that you could have come to the objective realization of the existence of God without using drugs nor having a mystic experience.
>It's on my reading list. I'm wrapping up NT now. Up next, Understanding the Bible by Harris, then Confessions.
I would exhort you to read the confessions before "understanding the Bible". It's a good book for people starting their religious journey.

>> No.15279459
File: 924 KB, 900x1160, 1566795426622.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP is too based for this shit tier trolling

>> No.15279491

>>15279459
fuck off back to /co/

>> No.15279502

>>15279491
namaste (:

>> No.15279528

>>15279408
>I knew some really smart people with their minds ruined by something as simple as pot.
Habitual drug use (of any kind) isn't analogous to what I was suggesting. With that being said, I understand what you mean. Their are inherent risks to everything we do, psychedelics included.

>Of course, not all transcendent knowledge will come by reasoning, and, as i said, there's where faith and revelation will be necessary
This is what I'm talking about when I mention the psychedelic experience. A revelation is simply the connection of dots (data, experience, incoming knowledge, etc) that was previously unconnected. Faith simply denotes belief. Both have been achieved (to some extent) while on psychedelics. This of course needs to be supplemented with further learning, but it gets the ball rolling that would have otherwise remained still.

>but believe me when i say that you could have come to the objective realization of the existence of God without using drugs nor having a mystic experience
I'm hesitant to believe any objective realization of "God" can be reached, regardless of the state of mind one was in when said revelation was reached.

>I would exhort you to read the confessions before "understanding the Bible". It's a good book for people starting their religious journey.
They can be read at the same time. I have a lot of free time now that my studies are over. Any other recommendations?

>> No.15279558

>>15279111
Based OP, existence is impossible without God, atheists be thinking our bodies work and look like this without a creator, godspeed.

>> No.15279590

>>15279528
>This is what I'm talking about when I mention the psychedelic experience. A revelation is simply the connection of dots (data, experience, incoming knowledge, etc) that was previously unconnected. Faith simply denotes belief. Both have been achieved (to some extent) while on psychedelics. This of course needs to be supplemented with further learning, but it gets the ball rolling that would have otherwise remained still.
And what i'm saying is that you are able to do this by yourself OP. Have a little confidence on yourself. If you are persistent, greater things are going to get revealed to you by themselves, but you need to start thinking on a more ascetic mind.
>I'm hesitant to believe any objective realization of "God" can be reached, regardless of the state of mind one was in when said revelation was reached.
I said "objective realization of the EXISTENCE of God". What God is... well, i think Solomon was the only human being close to that if you read the OT, then i don't need to remind you how he ended up.
>They can be read at the same time. I have a lot of free time now that my studies are over. Any other recommendations?
Feser's Five proofs of the existence of God will give you a good perspective of some of the most important philosophical ideas on the subject, and where to find them.
Also, Chesterton's "Orthodoxy" and Urs von Balthasar's "The Christian state of life" come to mind.

>> No.15279716

>>15279590
>And what i'm saying is that you are able to do this by yourself OP
Little and less is achieved on our own. We're all building off the ideas and experiences of others. I see no reason not to expedite this process through psychedelics. I also believe it'd be something interesting to experience, as I've stated previously.

>I said "objective realization of the EXISTENCE of God"
The objective realization of the existence of "God" then. I stand by what I said.

>Feser's Five proofs of the existence of God
>Chesterton's "Orthodoxy" and Urs von Balthasar's "The Christian state of life"
Thanks, anon. All on my reading list now.

Out of curiosity, how accessible is the "City of God"? I have that in my backlog as well.

>> No.15279726
File: 324 KB, 454x609, Siegmeyer of Catarina.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i'm not religious, but either/or and decartes' meditations got me considering faith
so much so i ended up buying the sickness unto death for my birthday in a week, looking forward to it

>> No.15279842

Read Tolstoys Confessions
And here is some wisdom for you gambling is considered stealing ( 8th Commandment) because you dont expect to lose money therefore your taking money from someone

>> No.15279928

>>15279842
>you dont expect to lose money
Only if you're an utter retarded. The house always has the edge.