[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 56 KB, 523x800, Rene_Guenon_1024x1024.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15239885 No.15239885 [Reply] [Original]

Are Guenon and the perennialists legit or is it all just a meme?

>> No.15239890

meme

>> No.15239893

>>15239885
They are legit, perennialism is true

>> No.15239915

>>15239885
Join a real tradition like Orthodox Christianity.

>> No.15239932

>>15239893
this
>>15239915
and this

>> No.15239951

>>15239915
From what I know, isn't the choice of religious tradition quite personal? As in, Orthodoxy might work for you but not for me.

>> No.15239966

>>15239885
They're a legit meme

>> No.15240013
File: 2.21 MB, 1450x5947, crypto-buddhism.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

it's an offshoot of theosophy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism_and_Theosophy

>Goodrick-Clarke wrote that "educated Indians" were particularly impressed by the Theosophists' defense of their ancient religion and philosophy in the context of the growing self-consciousness of the people, directed against the "values and beliefs of the European colonial powers." Prof. Stuckrad noted the wave of solidarity which covered the Theosophists in India had powerful "political implications." He wrote, citing in Cranston's book, that, according to Prof. Radhakrishnan, the philosopher and President of India, the Theosophists "rendered great service" by defending the Hindu "values and ideas"; the "influence of the Theosophical Movement on general Indian society is incalculable."[57]

>Bevir wrote that in India Theosophy "became an integral part of a wider movement of neo-Hinduism", which gave Indian nationalists a "legitimating ideology, a new-found confidence, and experience of organisation." He stated Blavatsky, like Dayananda Sarasvati, Swami Vivekananda, and Sri Aurobindo, "eulogised the Hindu tradition", however simultaneously calling forth to deliverance from the vestiges of the past. The Theosophical advocacy of Hinduism contributed to an "idealisation of a golden age in Indian history." The Theosophists viewed traditional Indian society as the bearer of an "ideal religion and ethic."[26]

>In Prof. Olav Hammer's opinion, Blavatsky, trying to ascribe the origin of the "perennial wisdom" to the Indians, united "two of the dominant Orientalist discourses" of hers era.

guenon's primary disciple was also a pedo who ran a sex cult in the USA
>On October 11th 1991, Frithjof Schuon, the leader of an international religious order, was indicted on the felony charge of child molestation. committed under "cult pressure and influence". The indictment, passed down by a five member Grand Jury, headed by Lucy Cherbas, stated:
>"that Frithjof Schuon... did perform fondling or touching [on three girls] 15 years of age, 14 years of age and 13 years of age, respectively, with the intent to arouse or satisfy sexual desires of Frithjof Schuon, in violation of I.C. 35-42 43. [And that] said persons were compelled to submit to touching by force or imminent threat of force, to wit: by undue cult influences and cult pressures, in violation of 35-42-4-8."

>Jesus Garcia Varela, a high ranking inner circle member of the cult, had been investigated by the Louisville Police in 1991 for nude photos of his 2 young daughters. He escaped prosecution of this episode by claiming that it was a common practice in Spain to visually record a girl's puberty.

>Michael Fitzgerald's son was present at the Gatherings. The boy, then perhaps 14, had been made to watch his mother and her sister, Jennifer Casey, dance nude for Schuon at one of the Gatherings.

>> No.15240031

even religions as a category are already one thing because they are classified as this one thing called religion. The question is how like is one from another. if you compare a little bitty baby sapling to its full grown parent you might conclude that they are very different things even though they both have leaves and roots. Sometimes a dead tree is obvious to spot from a living one. Other times it can be difficult to spot when a tree is alive or dead. in general you can graft limbs of one kind of stone fruit tree onto another. I have even heard that you can graft a potato and a tomato plant together, because they are both Nightshade species. But not all grafts take. Even grafting one avocado limb to another may fail. Do you understand? Observe nature and see the truth therein.

>> No.15240040

>>15239885
meme dont waste ur time pls

>> No.15240044

I like Guenon's critiques more than I like his prescriptions.

>> No.15240049

>>15240044
guenon was a half decent german idealist philosopher but a terrible orientalist, he failed out of school for refusing to read the real eastern texts

>> No.15240216

It’s not an offshoot of Theosophy. I won’t say definitively if it’s incompatible with Christianity, Orthodox or otherwise but I’m of the opinion that they’re compatible. If you’re interested, just read the books and decide for yourself. You won’t get a high quality discussion on this topic here.