[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 387 KB, 1028x1600, Plato-portrait-bust-original-Capitoline-Museums-Rome.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15066413 No.15066413 [Reply] [Original]

Ok, /lit/, I'm confused. I remember discussing the tripartite soul with a teacher in high school, who explained that the Greeks believed that the soul was composed of three components: psyche (ψυχή), pneuma (πνεῦμα), and thumos (θυμός). However, I've been reading the Republic, and in Book IV, Plato states that it is composed of a rational component, a spirited component, and an appetitive component. I was trying to match these up with what I had learned before, and while psyche fits with the rational part and thumos somewhat fits with the spirited part, I did not understand pneuma to be an appetitive or desire-ridden part of the soul, but rather the physical component. I recall hearing that the Greeks believed the pneuma was present in a person's last breath.

On wikipedia, it is written that the three components of Plato's theory of the soul are logos (λογιστικόν; rational part), thumos (θυμοειδές; spirited part), and eros (ἐπιθυμητικόν; appetitive part), and that psyche is a person's essence.

So, /lit/, can you explain it to me? What are the actual Greek words for the three components of the soul that Plato describes in the Republic? I read it in english (I know, I'm a pleb), but I'd like to be more familiar with the actual Greek terms. And, in any case, what do all the Greek words I've listed above mean? Forgive the shitty Greek translations in parentheses, I merely copy-pasted them to give more context for any Anons that are fluent.

>> No.15067449

Bump because you fucks don't reply

>> No.15067483
File: 1.09 MB, 200x270, 1519195099662.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>wanting to understand the retarded metaphysics of a greek communist

>> No.15068517

>>15066413
Is breath not something physical? Are instincts not also of the body? Doesn't passion alter your breathing?

>> No.15068557

>>15066413
>psyche (ψυχή), pneuma (πνεῦμα), and thumos (θυμός
Your teacher is a tard and the Wikipedia article is correct.
Soul (ψυχή) not a part of the soul (ψυχή)!
Plato's theory is exactly as Wikipedia said.