[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 10 KB, 190x272, ﷺ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14935897 No.14935897 [Reply] [Original]

>The Eastern doctrines are unanimous, as also were the ancient doctrines of the West; in asserting that contemplation is superior to action, just as the unchanging is superior to change. Action, being merely a transitory and momentary modification of the being, cannot possibly carry its principle and sufficient reason in itself; if it does not depend on a principle outside its own contingent domain, it is but illusion; and this principle, from which it draws all the reality it is capable of possessing-its existence and its very possibility can be found only in contemplation, or, if one will, in knowledge, for these two terms are fundamentally synonymous, or at least coincide, since it is impossible in any way to separate knowledge from the process by which it is acquired. 4 Similarly change, in the widest sense of the word, is unintelligible and contradictory; in other words, it is impossible without a principle from which it proceeds and which, being its principle, cannot be subject to it, and is therefore necessarily unchanging; it was for this reason that, in the ancient world of the West, Aristotle asserted that there must be a 'unmoved mover' of all things. It is knowledge that serves as the 'unmoved mover' of action; it is clear that action belongs entirely to the world of change and 'becoming'; knowledge alone gives the possibility of leaving this world and the limitations that are inherent in it, and when it attains to the unchanging-as does principial or metaphysical knowledge, that is to say knowledge in its essence-it becomes itself possessed of immutability, for all true knowledge essentially consists in identification with its object.

>> No.14935899

>>14935897
>This is precisely what modern Westerners overlook: they admit nothing higher than rational or discursive knowledge, which is necessarily indirect and imperfect, being what might be described as reflected knowledge; and even this lower type of knowledge they are coming more and more to value only insofar as it can be made to serve immediate practical ends. Absorbed by action to the point of denying everything that lies beyond it, they do not see that this action itself degenerates, from the absence of any principle, into an agitation as vain as it is sterile. This indeed is the most conspicuous feature of the modern period: need for ceaseless agitation, for unending change, and for ever-increasing speed, matching the speed with which events themselves succeed one another. It is dispersion in multiplicity, and in a multiplicity that is no longer unified by consciousness of any higher principle; in daily life, as in scientific ideas, it is analysis driven to an extreme, endless subdivision, a veritable disintegration of human activity in all the orders in which this can still be exercised; hence the inaptitude for synthesis and the incapacity for any sort of concentration that is so striking in the eyes of Easterners. These are the natural and inevitable results of an ever more pronounced materialization, for matter is essentially multiplicity and division, and this-be it said in passing-is why all that proceeds from matter can beget only strife and all manner of conflicts between peoples as between individuals. The deeper one sinks into matter, the more the elements of division and opposition gain force and scope; and, contrariwise, the more one rises toward pure spirituality, the nearer one approaches that unity which can only be fully realized by consciousness of universal principles.

>> No.14935970

Holy based......................
Peace be Upon Guenon.......
Peace be Upon the Brotherhood......
Peace be Upon this Thread.........

>> No.14935995

A realisation..... "Thread"was hugely symbolic in traditional civilization..... Weaving was also a highly symbolic activity ...... Are we...... Modern day manifestations of this ancient initiatic art? Weaving threads of metaphysical knowledge..... Becoming initiated through our posting......
Peace be upon us all.....

>> No.14936730
File: 160 KB, 600x592, be me.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>unaware that Being is nothing but Internal Act
>unaware that the consequence of every Internal Act is an External Act
>likewise the first external act of the first internal act, of every higher being, is the second internal act of the first external act; this then produces its own second-external act with its own third-internal act: this continues to the final Limit of Body.
>this is emanation that all Being does
he'd know this if the brainlet had actually read Plotinus

>> No.14936745

>>14936730
This has to be the gayest attempt at refuting Guenon (pbuh) I have ever seen.
Ps. You cannot refute Him (PBUH

>> No.14936821

>>14936730
>unaware that one Act whether internal or external cannot produce another because causality is unreal because of how the relation the between two terms in a causal relationship is neither internal nor external. If it inheres in one of the two terms, it would not relate it with the other term; the same relation cannot inhere in both the terms as it is indivisible; and if it falls outside both the terms, it becomes a third term which requires another relation to relate it with the first two terms and so on ad infinitum. And without a real relation there is no causation.
you'd know this if you weren't a brainlet and had read Śrīharṣa

>> No.14936866
File: 381 KB, 1000x855, transcendence.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14936821
the Five Greatest Genera are One
You'd Know this if you had read Proclus Commentary on the Parmenides

>> No.14936891

>>14936745
What does the unclused parentheses signify brother?
>(PBUH
I must be initiated in such holy secrets.... Is this a representation of the unending being?

>> No.14936907

>>14936891
Guenon (pbuh) may have arised.....but he did not pass away......
You know much brother......

>> No.14936928

>>14936730
>>unaware that Being is nothing but Internal Act
Where the fuck are you pulling that out of? Plotinus doesn't contradict himself by saying that Being can not absolutely make an activity or it would compromise its own unity. Being can not execute movements, it can only create the second principle, Intellect (through an overflowing of being within himself) involuntarily and without losing the intelligence that is within itself. I just read this mental wankery some hours ago, quote the passages you're greentexting here or shut the hell up.

>> No.14936987
File: 2.93 MB, 2419x2419, THAT MAN IS I AND I AM THAT MAN.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14935897

Pretty good.

>> No.14937008

>>14936866
At least I can formulate arguments instead of namedropping Neoplatonist mumbojumbo. Proclus was wrong and overly focused on theurgic ritual, which makes me not take anything he else says very seriously. Rituals and other actions can only produce impermanent results and are incapable of producing liberation or eternal union with the One; anything that is eternal cannot be produced by anything else like a ritual.

>> No.14937025

>>14936866
This image is how I feel when I take amphetamines.

>> No.14937087
File: 799 KB, 2140x1760, parmeclitus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14937008
Contemplate how and why the Five Genera are One, and then the further implications of being beyond them. Perhaps expecting intelligence from monists is too much to ask.

>> No.14937272
File: 68 KB, 1022x731, It's_All_So_Tiresome.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14937087
Your inability to explain why it's relevant makes me discount it and think that you are simply namedropping something in leu of an actual response. You show up in many religion/god/mysticism/etc threads and throw a tantrum when people post anything that disagrees with Neoplatonism and then when people challenge you with specific arguments disagreeing with the ideas you are describing you just devolve to posting empty rhetoric and "well uh if you just read this you'd see I'm right but I can't explain why".