[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 499 KB, 387x305, 1582676415439.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14789372 No.14789372 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone else ever ponder religion and how it might be applicable to Pepe iconography?
I actually wept over a Pepe the other day and went on an entire head trip about the nature of reality and suffering. Pepe has certainly had a strange journey and I'm not sure how he's gotten to this point but he seems to be invested with a sort of fatherly power to many of the anons here.

tl;dr A pepe brought me to tears and I'm wondering if it's reached the point of religious iconography.

>> No.14789412

I mean, I don't think there's anything fortuitous involved here. I don't believe in "random chance". The Pepe phenomenon definitely has some deeper significance to it. Like any art, it is an expression of the deepest strata of the human soul, which is the irrational foundation of Nature itself. We resonate with it because it is an authentic fragment of our soul, but not a fragment in the sense of some broken piece of something else. More like a fractal. It is an image of our whole soul projected outward by our soul. That's what authentic art is, not necessarily the most technically sublime art, but authentic art.

>> No.14789454

To add some more to what I said above, I don't think calling the Pepe phenomenon "religious" is a good characterization. It's closer to something like the gnosticism. Religion is centered around certain ossified canonical texts and doctrines. Meme culture is perpetually creative, and constantly overturns itself. The impulse behind it is kind of the opposite of religion. Religion seeks the finality of Heaven, but meme culture seeks constant creative renewal. It's pretty irreligious. When I say the occult or gnosticism I mean things like grail literature, troubadour poetry, the creative side of gnosticism that tried to capture our interior states (gnosis) in constantly newer creative artistic works. So, something like a life-affirming gnosticism, which maybe is somewhat of a self-contradiction.

>> No.14789474

>>14789454
By the way, just to add one more thing, troubadour poetry can be very memey. Check out
http://www.trobar.org/troubadours/montan/montan2.php
>I come to you, Sir, with my skirt lifted,
>since I have heard your name is the Mounting Lord,
>and I was never sated with fucking:
>I kept a chaplain for two years,
>and his clerics and all his following;
>and I have a large, firm and sprightly butt
>and a larger cunt than any woman ever.

>And I come towards you, Lady, with my trousers lowered,
>with a larger cock than any randy donkey,
>and will fuck you with such an outburst
>that you'll have to wring your bed-sheets the day after
>---and say thereafter that they need to be washed;
>Neither I, nor my huge nuts will leave
>unless I fuck you until you pass out.

>Since you anticipate so much fucking,
>I would like to know, Sir, your pride,
>since I have armoured my entrance quite well
>in order to resist the attack of large testicles;
>then I'll start kicking so much
>that you won't be able to hold to the front hair
>and you'll have to begin again from behind.

>Know, my lady, that I agree to all this:
>as long as we are together until tomorrow,
>I shall ram into your armoured entrance;
>then you'll know whether mine is just boasting,
>since I'll make you cast through your arse
>such farts as will sound like they come from a horn
>--and your dance shall suit the music.

>> No.14789746

>>14789454
Dogma and organized ritual happens over time.
The gnostics were exterminated so there's really no telling what they would have become.
You seem to be using gnosticism in a personally defined way. Not sure what troubadours have to do with gnostics.

The way you describe what you call meme culture could just be the beginning stages of religious development. It can certainly ossify over time. You're assuming meme culture has a perpetual state of creativity as though it's immune to sterilization. Some would say that sterilization has already happened and bemoan it daily on this site. There's a certain irony in saying that religion is stagnant because it seeks finality, but then attributing a finality of "perpetual creativity" to meme culture.