[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 62 KB, 480x480, bca89dd8aa4d23138b3d7b78d951d4df.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14689001 No.14689001 [Reply] [Original]

How do I get my passion for writing back?

I decided to take a break from writing to bring my passion back, but all I'm feeling is regret, not zest for storytelling

>> No.14689081
File: 152 KB, 1024x768, 1401180642754.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hell if I know.
I could sooner guess your name, anon.
Best not to force the creative process, but don't stop doodling around with it.
Fuck, *work* is such a distraction and destroyer of creativity.

>> No.14689139
File: 6 KB, 259x194, 65DDAEC3-D28C-496D-8B68-1CA0D3833FBD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14689001
It has to mean more to you than doing other things. You have to find a greater satisfaction and contentment in the practice than the distractions that would keep you from it. I hope you choose to pursue it but I can tell you that it is a lonely and solitary pursuit. I just celebrated 15 years of writing in August and I just lost my dad. I have to ask myself, how many more hours could I have gotten with him if I hadn’t done so? But on the other hand, he was going to die anyway and so will I. The question is whether I can create something that will survive after I’m gone like he has. I run a weekly/monthly writers group at the local library and every session is full of people who will commit and those who won’t. It’s not for everyone because it’s hard work and it could be years or even decades of hard work all for nothing. But therein lies the allure. The idea of creating something bigger than yourself that communicates with huge numbers of people greater than if you went door to door for the rest of your life. My father had dementia and towards the end ,during a spat he got more violent than usual. He berated me for writing and told me I was wasting my time and that no one would ever read it. In that moment it was genuinely hard to tell which part was the illness and which part was his disappointment. Maybe both. Maybe neither. I wanted to be proud of me but hadnt developed my craft well enough to show him or have a book contract to prove him wrong. This year I’ll begin releasing the dozen or so books I’ve written as I feel comfortable sharing them as well as the fact that I don’t want to die with them sitting on a hard drive and never finding the readers who will enjoy the work I’ve put into them. I’m not sure what I’m trying to say. I’m tired. Either you will or you won’t. I hope you’ll take on the demanding but rewarding burden.

>> No.14690335

>>14689001
Read Ashbery and Sloterdijk. Don't even have to read much of either.
Also get a dog and take long walks in the wind and bitter cold if in the N. Hemisphere, at dusk and dawn if in the S. Just forget about shit and breathe, m8.

>> No.14690349

>>14689001
Anon, the thing about writing is that it fucking sucks. The trick is to keep the ball rolling. Some days it's rolling uphill, some days it's rolling down, but unless if you write at least something everyday you'll never get that passion back.