[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 36 KB, 650x300, 4D651CAF-F5F8-4A83-B5AB-7CB7C127EA75.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14493991 No.14493991 [Reply] [Original]

Not a troll post, it’s all totally sincere. I’ve been thinking about this for years now, with how quick things are changing and the internet seemingly changing people’s real life behavior, I think the internet (or rather internet users) needs to have a set of guiding or underlying taboos or principles that make certain behavior unacceptable. Normies generally just observe or follow trends to a T, and now that the internet is filled with them there needs to be a code of ethics. I don’t actually want this in general, but I think things are bad enough that something has to change.

These would just be guiding principles, not enforced by mega corporations but just things people observe without question or thought (kind of like cultural norms). If you think I’m crazy just realize this isn’t totally unprecedented, realize that we already have stuff like this in place (internet norms against doxxing) as well as guiding principles (people on the internet can lie, tend not to trust them).

I propose that people adhere to the following set of norms when interacting with others on the internet:
1. Your personal information should stay personal, you should shy away from posting your name, face, and other personal details online and you should be skeptical of anyone or any site asking for them.

2. You should always start off acting respectful towards someone, then treat them as they treat you. Avoid snark, irony, “witty” comments at their expense.

3. For every issue that makes you upset online, try to do your absolute best to fully describe the other side of that issue before you start posting about it.

4. Always assume there’s more to the story than what you’re seeing or being told

Again, these might seem like total pipe freaks, but most cultural norms are malleable to some extent. The internet doesn’t exist in another universe, it’s still filled with humans and humans often change their behavior based on what the crowd is doing.

Thoughts?

>> No.14494003

It needs a catchy name. What about Internet etiquette... netiquette for short?

>> No.14494011

>>14494003
You have such a flair for this anon.

>> No.14494027

>>14494003
I don’t think it’s a good idea to bring attention to it (at least in our current time period), once it’s “formalized” as a thing then it will become some sort of political battle. It just needs to be a set of principles that people unknowingly follow, once it becomes a doctrine it becomes a war ground.

There’s no formal doctrine against doxxing yet it’s a cultural norm that virtually everyone on the internet adheres to, people just reflexively shame those who do it on sight. It seems to be a holdover from the early internet. I don’t have a problem with the sort of Wild West style say whatever pops into your mind internet, but it’s clear many people simply can’t handle it.

>> No.14494042

>>14493991
Theres far too much money involved for social media users not to run personality cults and sic their fans on their "enemies"

>> No.14494078
File: 153 KB, 677x658, reject modernity, embrace tradition.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Every newfag should be forced to read the Rules

>> No.14494160

Not a bad thought but honestly it’s probably too late. Like you say, the taboo on doxxing seems to be a hangup from the early internet

>> No.14494186

>>14493991
Lawrence Lessig is the big name in this area.
Wish I could find pic—when he started teaching, during finals, his students unveiled a giant picture of his head and he looked like Big Brother from 1984.
Anyway, he’s the talking head on this issue.

>> No.14494611

>>14493991
>2. You should always start off acting respectful towards someone
Fuck you retard scumbag
Also, not /lit/

>> No.14494628

>>14493991
eh, I don't disagree but ultimately the internet is conceived by internauts as a kind of far west where everything goes. i ultimately want it to stay that way, as anarchy has its advantages and if it wasnt like this it would be another boring, rationalized space of modern life, whereas now it's kinda special, almost magical (as in magical thinking)

>> No.14494635

>>14493991
kys nigger

>> No.14494641

This pie-in-the-sky, Pollyanna shit is only really forgivable from the young. You cannot mandate culture, and you can't enforce some sort of personal ethics code for interaction. What a farce. It happens how it happens, even if you don't like it.

Now grow up.

>> No.14494642

>>14493991
There are bigger problems than this stuff. Dark net and deep web are full of private servers for cannibals, pedophiles, zoophiles, and practically every degenerate thing you can think of. I also have reason to believe some powerful members of Mossad and CIA maintain a lot of this too, but a lot of other people are in on it too.
Just destroy the Internet altogether.

>> No.14495650

>>14494642
That's an urban legend dude

>> No.14495671

>>14494641
t. demoralised good goyim

>> No.14495737

>>14493991
Not /lit/, but what the hell. How would you enforce this? Giving rules to the Internet is like trying to force a philosophy on the world beyond the basics of son't lie, cheat, steal etc. It's never going to work

>> No.14497130

>Your personal information should stay personal, you should shy away from posting your name, face, and other personal details online
The normie is far too narcissistic to even consider this.

>> No.14497210

>>14493991
kill yourself redditshit