[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 7 KB, 357x357, 1577025879509.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14396408 No.14396408 [Reply] [Original]

Lets have a thread about Traditionalism

This movement was (and remains) deliberately syncretic because when you identify the primary forms or archetypes with a symbolic and mythic structure (as ALL of the traditions I just outlined did), you get a philosophy and history of religion that makes all traditions into particular instantiations of underlying immutable principles (as all of the traditions I just outlined concluded). Just read _The Oriental Renaissance_ by Schwab, which was praised highly by Mircea Eliade, about whom both Guenon and Evola complained in correspondence that he was a Guenonian Traditionalist who wouldn't cop to the fact and that he was getting credit for Guenon's ideas especially. Eliade agreed; so Guenon, Evola, and Eliade agree that Eliade is a reasonably faithful transposition of Guenonian philosophy, and Eliade embraces Schwab's diagnosis of syncretic, Fruhromantik neo-Platonism as the basis of the Traditionalist worldview, e.g., as its syncretic neo-Platonist framework effortlessly reduces and re-appropriates Hinduism, Islam, Platonism, and everything else to be simply an emanation of its own "central, really real" myths and archetypes. That is why "Hinduism looks like neo-Platonism," a favourite line of Traditionalists -- real similarities between the two systems, perhaps owing to some real underlying Indo-European metaphysics, are in fact bowled over and destroyed by Traditionalism's extremely lazy neo-Platonist framework, which has been called "all-reducing." Traditionalists did not save or invent the method of comparative religions -- they killed it, and laminated its corpse.

>> No.14396419

I too have no imagination how can you tell

>> No.14396528

>Hinduism looks like neo-Platonism
Explain this because Guenon said that there were similarities between them (which only serves an historiographical perspective, as Guenon is explicit about) certainly not that they were the same. Sounds like bad faith, or superficial reading of Guenon. I'll adress the rest if you can clear this up.

>> No.14396562

>>14396408
That's why modern religious studies in non-religionist (this is a fancy term for the universalizing of the religious tendency to some neoplatonic mysticism a la eliade -- now things are more pluralistic)

I highly recommend some contemporary anthropological works on religion. Reading Levy-bruhl now. P good

>> No.14397280

>>14396408
Cool