[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 457 KB, 705x958, Raja_Ravi_Varma_-_Sankaracharya.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14317510 No.14317510 [Reply] [Original]

I am the supreme Brahman which is pure consciousness, always clearly manifest, unborn, one only, imperishable, unattached and all-pervading like the ether and non-dual. I am, therefore, ever-free. ॐ. Pure and changeless consciousness I am by nature devoid of objects. Unborn and established, in the Self I am all-pervading Brahman in the front, oblique, upward, downward and all other directions. I am unborn, deathless, devoid of old age, immortal, self-effulgent, all-pervading and non-dual. Perfectly pure, having neither cause nor effect and contented with the one Bliss I am free. Yes.

No perception whatever in waking, dream or deep sleep belongs to Me but it is due to delusion. For these states have no independent existence nor an existence depending on the Self. I am, therefore, the Fourth which is the Seer of all the three states and without a second. As I am changeless the series producing pain viz., the body, the intellect and the senses are not Myself nor Mine. Moreover they are unreal like dream-objects, there being a reason for inference that they are so. But it is true that I have no change or any cause of a change as I am without a second. As I do not possess a body I have neither sin nor virtue, neither bondage nor liberation, neither a caste nor an order of life.

Beginningless and devoid of attributes I have neither actions nor their results. Therefore I am the supreme One without a second. Though in a body I do not get attached on account of My subtleness like the ether which, though all-pervading, does not get tainted. Though I am the Lord always the same in all beings, beyond the perishable and the imperishable, and therefore the Supreme, the Self of all, and without a second. I am considered to be of a contrary nature on account of Ignorance. Not distanced by anything from Itself and untouched by Ignorance, by false conceptions and by actions the Self is very pure. Without a second and established in My real nature like the immovable ether I am (thought to be) connected with the powers of seeing and other perceptions. There is the saying of the Sruti that one who has the sure conviction about oneself that one is Brahman is never born again. There being no delusion, there is no birth. For, when the cause is not there there cannot be any effect.

>> No.14317516

>>14317510
False conceptions of people such as, ' mine,' 'this,' 'thus,' 'this is so,' 'I am so,' 'another is not so,' etc., are all due to delusion. They are never in Brahman which is auspicious, the same in all and without a second. All grief and delusion are removed from those great souls wheen there arises the very pure knowledge of the non-dual Self. It is the conclusion of those who know the meaning of the Vedas that there cannot be any action or birth in the absence of grief and delusion. It is the conclusion here that one who, though perceiving the world of duality in the waking state, does not, as a man in deep sleep does not, perceive it owing to duality being negated and who is (really) actionless even when (apparently) acting, is a man of Self-knowledge; but no one else is so. This Right knowledge described by me is the highest because it is ascertained in the Vedanta. One becomes liberated and unattached like the ether if one is perfectly convinced of this Truth.

All beings are by nature pure Consciousness Itself. It is due to Ignorance that they apppear to be different from It. Their difference from It is removed by the teaching 'Thou art Existence '. The scriptures negate Vedic actions with their accessories by saying Knowledge alone is the cause of immortality, and that there is nothing else to cooperate with it. How can there be any special property in Me who am changeless by nature and witness the modifications of the minds of all without any exception? who witness the mind and its functions in the waking state as in dream? But as there is the absence of both the mind and its functions in deep sleep I am Pure Consciousness, all-pervading and changeless. Just as dreams appear to be true as long as one does not wake up, so, the identification of oneself with the body etc. and the authenticity of sense-perception and the like in the waking state continue as long as there is no Self-knowledge.

I am Brahman of the nature of pure Consciousness, without qualities, free from Ignorance, and free from the three states of waking, dream and deep sleep. Living in all beings like the ether I am the witness free from all their defects. Ever free and different from names, forms and actions I am the supreme Brahman, the Self, consisting of pure Consciousness and always without a second. Those who think themselves to be one with Brahman and at the same time to be doers and experiencers should be regarded as fallen from both Knowledge and duties. They are, no doubt, unbelievers (in the Vedas).

>> No.14317523

>>14317516
It must be accepted on the strength of the scriptures that the Self is Brahman, and that liberation accrues from Right Knowledge only, like the connection with the Self of the results of sin and virtue, which though unseen, is admitted (on the same authority). What are called in the Sruli clothes coloured with turmeric etc. are nothing but mental impressions. perceived by people in dream. So the Self, pure Consciousness, must be different from them. Just as a sword taken out of its sheath is seen as it is, so, the Knower, the Self, is seen in dream in Its real and self-effulgent nature free from cause and effect. The real nature of the individual who was pushed and awakened has been described by the saying, "Not this, not this" which negates all superimposition.

Just as objects of enjoyment like a great Kingship etc. are superimposed on Me in dream, so, the two forms with the mental impressions, are also superimposed on Me. All actions are performed by the Self which has identified Itself with the gross and the subtle bodies and which has the nature of accumulating impressions. As I am of the nature indicated by the Sruti,' Not this,not this,' actions are nowhere to be done by Me. As actions have Ignorance for their cause there is no hope from them of immortality. As liberation is caused by right Knowledge it does not depend on anything else. But Immortality is free from fear and destruction. The individual Self 'dear to one' is Brahman according to the Sruti, ' Not this, not this '. Whatever is thought to be different from It should, therefore, be renounced together with all actions.

>> No.14317527

>>14317523
Just as a man looks upon his body placed in the sun as having the property of light in it.
so, he looks upon the intellect pervaded by the reflection of Pure Consciousness as the Self, the witness. The Self gets identified with whatever is seen in the world. It is for this reason that an ignorant man does not know himself. An ignorant man gets identified with objects of knowledge and does not know the Self like the tenth boy who got identified as it were with the other nine. Say how there can reasonably by the two contrary ideas, ' You do this ' and 'You are Brahman' at the same time and in respect of the same person.

Pain belongs to one identifying oneself with the body. One not identifying oneself with it, as in deep sleep, is, therefore, by nature free from pain. The teaching, ' Thou art That ' is imparted in order that this identification might be removed from the Self. An ignorant person looks upon the intellect as the Self, when there is the reflections of the Self in the intellect like that of a face in a mirror. He who looks upon the ego, the indiscrimination that produces delusion and other mental modifications as having no connection with the Self, is, without doubt, the dearest to the knowers of Brahman. No one else is so. As it is the Knower of knowledge that is referred to by the word 'Thou' the understanding of the term 'Thou' in this sense is correct. The other sense different from it is due to superimposition.

How can there be knowledge or ignorance in Me who am eternal and always of the nature of Pure Consciousness. No knowledge, therefore, other than the Self can be accepted. Just as the heat of the sun together with that part of the body is the object of the knower, so, pain and pleasure together with the intellect in which they lie are the objects of the Self. I am Brahman without attributes, ever pure, ever free, non-dual, homogeneous like the ether and of the nature of Consciousness from which the object portion has been negated. I am always the free supreme Knower in all beings inasmuch as there cannot be a more comprehensive knower different from Me. He who Knows that the Consciousness of the Self never ceases to exist, and that It is never an agent and also gives up the egoism that he is a Knower of Brahman is a knower of the Self. Others are not so.

>> No.14317535

translated indian philosophy is basically used toilet paper to the westerner

>> No.14317536

>>14317527
Capable by no means of being known I am the knower and always free and pure as the discriminating knowledge is in the intellect and liable to be destroyed on account of its being an object of Knowledge. The Consciousness of the Self, on the other hand, never goes out of existence and is not capable of being produced by the action of agents etc. inasmuch as producibility is superimposed on It by another consciousness, Its object and different from It. The doership of the Self is false as it depends on the misconception of the body being the Self. That I do not do anything is the true knowledge which arises from the right evidence. Agency depends on doership, instruments etc. but non-agency is natural. It has, therefore, been very well ascertained that the knowledge that one is a doer and experiencer is certainly false. How can the idea that I am a person to be enjoined be true when the real nature of the Self is thus known from the scriptures and inference? just as the ether is in the interior of all, so, I am in the interior even of the ether. Therefore I am without change, without motion, pure, devoid of old age, ever free and without a second.

There is no vision in Me as I am without the organ of seeing. How can there be hearing in Me who have no auditive organ? Devoid of the organ of speech I have no action of speaking in Me. How can there be thinking in Me who have no mind? Devoid of the vital force I have no action, and devoid of the intellect I am not a knower. Ever free, ever pure, changeless, immovable, immortal, imperishable and bodiless I have no knowledge or ignorance in Me who am of the nature of the Light of Pure Consciousness only. All-pervading like the ether I have no hunger, thirst, grief, delusion, old age or death as I am without a body. Devoid of the organ of touch I have no act of touching ; and devoid of the tongue I have no sensation of taste. I never have knowledge or ignorance as I am of the nature of eternal Consciousness.

>> No.14317540

>>14317535
>indian
>toilet paper
uhhh.......

>> No.14317548

>>14317536
It is well known that the mental modification, produced through the instrumentality of the eye and of the form of the object of vision, is always witnessed by the eternal Consciousness of the Self. Similarly, other mental modifications in the forms of objects of knowledge produced through the instrumentality of other organs and also those in the forms of memory, attachment, etc. existing only within the mind, and those again in dream are witnessed by one different from all of them. The Knowledge, therefore, of the Knower is eternal, pure, infinite and without a second. It is through the indiscrimination between the Self and the modifications of the mind, knowable adjuncts to the Self that the knowledge of the Knower is wrongly conceived by the people to be impure and transitory and the Self happy or miserable. All men misconceive themselves to be ignorant or pure according as they identify themselves with the mental modification, ' I am ignorant' or ' I am pure'. It is for this reason that they continue to be in transmigratory existence.

One should always remember the Self to be ever-free, unborn and comprising the 'interior and exterior' as described in the Sruti in which the Self is spoken of as 'eyeless' and so on if one is an aspirant after liberation. That organs never belong to me is known from the Sruti, 'eyeless' etc. There is again the saying of the Sruti belonging to the Atharva Veda that the Self is devoid of the vital force, devoid of the mind and pure. As I am always devoid of the vital force and the mind and heard of in the Kathopanishat as having no connection with sound etc I am always changeless. I, therefore, have neither unrestfulness nor a profound concentration. Both of them belong to the mind which is subject to change. How can I who am pure and mindless have those two? I am without any change and without a mind as I am all-pervading and devoid of a body. So, I who am ever free, ever pure and ever awakened had duties to perform so long as there was Ignorance. How can I have concentration, non-concentration or other actions in Me as all men feel that the acme of their lives is fulfilled when they meditate on Me and know Me?

>> No.14317549

>>14317535
i mean, i guess you can fold it up and clean youtself a little bit. but its still a crap shoot as to whether it happens to be infested with AIDS.

>> No.14317552
File: 843 KB, 1630x1328, 1574220616901.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.14317553

>>14317548
I am, therefore, Brahman, the all-comprehensive Principle, ever Pure, ever Awakened and ever Unborn devoid of old age, imperishable and immortal. There is no knower other than Myself among all the beings. I am the distributor of the results of their actions and the witness. It is I to whom all beings owe their consciousness. Without qualities and without a second I am eternal. I am not the three visible elements nor the two invisible ones, neither am I both. I am devoid of all attributes and the three Gunas. In Me there is neither night nor day nor their juncture as I am always of the nature of light. Just as the ether is subtle, without a second and devoid of all forms, so, I am the non-dual Brahman devoid even of the ether.

The distinction between the Self in Itself and my Self is due to the superimposition just as difference (is wrongly conceived to) exist in one and the same ether owing to apertures. How can difference, absence of difference, oneness, manyness and the qualities of being known and being a knower, the results of actions and also agency and experiencing be attributed to Me who am one only? I have nothing to reject or accept inasmuch as I am changeless. Always free, pure, awakened and without qualities, I am without a second. One should, with great concentration of mind always know the Self to be All. One certainly becomes all-knowing and free when one knows Me to be residing is one's own body. He who thus knows the reality of the Self becomes successful in attaining the goal of his life and becomes perfect. He becomes a Knower of Brahman and one with It. One knowing the Self otherwise may be said to commit suicide. This ascertained meaning of the Vedas described briefly by me should be imparted to those who have given up worldly action and controlled their minds by one whose intellect has been trained.

>> No.14317560

>>14317552
Can you explain what book I should read to get into Nagarjuna. I read one of his books and it was just translated poetry so I didn’t bother reading it. Pretty underwhelming desu

>> No.14317576

poo poo loo loo mighty vishnu elephant god of many arms hear my rhyme in tribute to thy charms when the bad skull god comes i sound the alarms i reject the toilet and give my stinky poo poo as alms

>> No.14317915

>>14317576
This is how I imagine Garfielf in India
>>14317510
>posting the end of the vivekachudamani

>> No.14317923

Based and Advaitapilled

>> No.14317930

>>14317915
It's from Upadesasahasri, not Vivekachudamani

>> No.14317941

>>14317915
>>14317930
Gentlemen, gentlemen! We're all friends here! Let's shit together.

>> No.14317970

>>14317930
Eh, comparing poop for poop, it's the same shit, why bring up distinctions when they're both da stinky.

>> No.14318030

>>14317516
>False conceptions of people such as, ' mine,'

So you would be cool if I ground you up and fed you to pigs? Everybody wants to sound transcendent until they are given a choice between liberty or captivity, life or death.

>> No.14318276

The seer – also called the perceiver or the actually aware mind – literally means mind, thoughts, or consciousness. The more learned classes use the Greek term apatos for this consciousness, a term quite familiar to the ancient mind of the Greek philosopher and seer Alcibiades.

First, here is a classically Greek definition of "mind": The Mind is the abstract power to act upon the world, the power which conceals itself from thought and apprehends itself.

Nothing of any sort, form or quality in waking, dream or deep sleep belongs to Me. All of Me, oneness with Me, is beyond all creation. The image of the Buddhas and Buddhi is of Narada, the source of all, pure as the ocean and dwelling forever, the radiance of purity beyond space and time.
This is a vital implication to the assertion in the word mantra to take refuge in an Lord/prince. No religion or spiritual tradition would offer such a lofty spiritual appellation. This aspirant should literally understand that even God is within the Amrita.
I stand as one without attributes. For though all my actions are absolute, I have not the slightest source of purpose.
I am a state of eternity, but I exist as nothing. Like the eternal. It is in that state that the ego exists.
The above is from my brother how can this be possible. I think it is what Buddhists call "Satipatthana." Satipatthana is similar to eternity and is when the self is "sad," because you are subject to the void of eternally being, but to the self.
After considering some general objections to the existence of consciousness, I shall now attempt to clear up those which have arisen on the subject of God's mind. It is often alleged that consciousness is essentially subjective and that its character is the result of our opinions. If it be claimed that God, by his knowledge, knows all that is in the world, it must be said that such an argument would logically follow that there is only one truth in the whole universe, and that we cannot enter into a pure mental state in which there is no truth.
True 'Non-Dualistic' experience of each and every One, is only possible by going from an Oversoul Consciousness in the Absolute to a higher and higher state of Consciousness (Asāna).

Just as every species of life on Earth and all other forms of life manifest at one point in their evolution as one where they first emerge from a net of netherworlds the same is true for all the human beings. The human beings are each and every one of a much greater number of Earths (mahāras) containing many, many thousand million, billion and billion people.
"I have neither body nor mind.''

"That I can name, that I know."

There was no rising up and no falling down. There was no jumping up and down or smiling and frowning. There was no interference from God or the forces of Providence. For them, Brahman was such an ineffable name, such a reality, that everything was to be grasped as mere ideality.

>> No.14318888

The master said to [Pei] Xiu: The Buddhas and all the sentient beings are only the One Mind—there are no other dharmas. Since beginningless time, this mind has never been generated and has never been extinguished, is neither blue nor yellow, is without shape and
without characteristic, does not belong to being and nonbeing, does not consider new or old, is neither long nor short, and is neither large
nor small. It transcends all limitations, names, traces, and correlations. It in itself—that’s it! To activate thoughts is to go against it! It is like space, which is boundless and immeasurable.
It is only this One Mind that is Buddha; there is no distinction between Buddhas and sentient beings. However, sentient beings are attached to characteristics and seek outside themselves. Seeking it, they lose it even more. Sending the Buddha in search of the Buddha, grasping the mind with the mind, they may exhaust themselves in striving for an entire eon but will never get it. They do not understand that if they cease their thoughts and end their
thinking, the Buddha will automatically be present.

>> No.14318899

tl;dr

>> No.14318919

>>14317560
>I didn't bother reading it
>it was pretty underwhelming
Maybe you should start by reading something before passing judgement on it you drooling fuckwit. Just learn Sanskrit if you're going to have purist presumptions, it's hella easy once you know the rules.