Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/lit/ - Literature


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 362 KB, 1280x1530, 1280px-102111_Pinker_344.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14154305 No.14154305 [Reply] [Original]

Steven Pinker absolutely BTFO
https://youtu.be/PyZ_KMs79HU

>> No.14154312

>>14154305
Who is this youtube cretin (not Pinker, although Pinker is a fool and insufferable) being shilled now?

>> No.14154314

why is his face so punchable?

>> No.14154437

>>14154312
Dr. Edward Dutton

>> No.14154444

Pedo

>> No.14154495

>>14154314
which onep

>> No.14155982

bump

>> No.14156394

>>14155982
bump

>> No.14156403
File: 234 KB, 1478x888, IMG_20191112_104513.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14156403

Pinker was BTFO by Taleb Multiple times

>> No.14156407
File: 480 KB, 1071x1147, SmartSelect_20191112-104618_Twitter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14156407

>>14156403
And yes, Taleb has read over 200 psychology books and is perfectly capable of ripping apart Pinker.

>> No.14156412
File: 440 KB, 1788x1230, IMG_20191112_104723.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14156412

>>14156407
Another refutation of Pinker's junk science by Taleb
1/2

>> No.14156416
File: 666 KB, 1346x1512, IMG_20191112_104724.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14156416

>>14156412
2/2

>> No.14156424
File: 290 KB, 1071x971, SmartSelect_20191112-105037_Twitter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14156424

>>14156416
Another debunking of Pinker by Dr. Taleb
https://www.academia.edu/26772813/The_Decline_of_Violent_Conflicts_What_Do_The_Data_Really_Say

>> No.14156710

>>14154305
bump

>> No.14156744

Why is Taleb so based

>> No.14156746

>>14156744
He is Phoenican

>> No.14156762

>>14156746
No, he's Arab

>> No.14157503

>>14156407
Taleb out here ruining niggas whole careers while dressed as a Roman legionaire.

>> No.14157544

>Nicholas "IQ is pseudoscience" Taleb browbeating someone else on credibility

>> No.14157625

>>14157544
Seething

>> No.14157632
File: 62 KB, 785x1100, 1563474663679.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14157632

>>14157544
>NOOOOOOOOOOOOO NIGGERS ARE INFERIOR!!!!!

>> No.14157760

>>14157625
>>14157632
want to know how I know you scored low on IQ tests?

>> No.14157768

>>14154314
>Pinker - because you disagree with him
>Dutton - because you disagree with him

>> No.14157775

>>14157544
>>14157632
Taleb believes IQ is useful for ascertaining the stupidity of those on the lower side of the spectrum, but loses its validity past 100IQ or so. Even on the Talebian view of IQ, Africans are inferior.

>> No.14157786

>>14157632
Niggers actually are, everywhere. No matter the society, niggers form the lowest class. That is not to say some niggers (or mixes) won't rise higher, but that they always, without exception, form a lower class.
Unlike Slavs, Finns, Hungarians, Greeks, Chinese or Indians, who tend to perform better despite historical slavery.

Niggers being inferior is, however, just a preference. Do you like upper classes, civilization, language, law etc. more than their alternatives? You probably rank non-niggers above niggers.

>> No.14157830

>back to the future references
>yeah but he’s bad cause he doesn’t say blacks are inferior!

>> No.14157844
File: 63 KB, 676x472, work.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14157844

>>14157775
Taleb believes that work sample tests are better predictors of work performance than IQ tests. IQ research has been ongoing for almost a century now, and the meta analyses have all been done. IQ is always at the top.

>>14157830
You need to be a brainlet to think it's just a bunch of racists pointing this out. If someone is willing to accept IQ but not accept racial differences in outcomes being genetic, that means they're either lying to their audiences or too cowardly to take the line that earns them social rebuke. Anyone interested in the credibility of a public intellectual would find this of interest

>> No.14157846

>>14157775
>Even on the Talebian view of IQ, Africans are inferior.
Incorrect. Taleb has stated multiple times that country IQ measurements and race realism is pseudo science.

>> No.14157849

>>14157786
As a group they are inferior but it’s too crude to speak of groups of humans in such a way, since you’re always going to be at risk of offending/alienating the millions among that group who do not fall as low as their neighbours. Blackness in itself does not tell you anything about an individual; there are many intelligent blacks, as you yourself pointed out.
D

>> No.14157852

>>14154305
edward dutton is pretty cool
if only he was a christian and not a hardcore evolutionist though (maybe small)...

>> No.14157856
File: 39 KB, 596x415, 4Chan_Meme_Pepe_Cringe01 - RENAME BEFORE POSTING.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14157856

>>14157844
>job performance

>> No.14157862
File: 484 KB, 1071x1147, 1573590772296.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14157862

>>14157844
IQ is bullshit; and don't act like Taleb is ignorant on this topic. Taleb has read hundreds of psychology books. That's the reason he despises psychologists and their pseudo scientific playthings like IQ.

>> No.14157863

>>14157846
Yes, Taleb's reputation is more important than conceding this relatively obscure point. He's still wrong.

Take a step back and just realize that when people from /pol/ say
>evolution stops at the neck
they're unironically destroying your argument and its credibility.

>>14157856
am I supposed to know what you mean?

>> No.14157864
File: 58 KB, 900x675, wagie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14157864

>>14157844
>job performance

>> No.14157869

>>14157846
>pseudo science
All sciences are pseudosciences. Justify your truth

>> No.14157875

>>14157862
I hope this is a troll post

>> No.14157878

>>14157862
Can you present Talebs arguments instead of posting supercilious twitter screen caps? You say IQ is bullshit, that other anon clearly gave evidence of its predictive validity, so either refute his evidence or concede.

>> No.14157888

>>14157844
Work performance? In other words, how high you can jump when your boss tells you to. Obsequiousness is hardly something virtuous.

>> No.14157889
File: 109 KB, 900x900, 654.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14157889

>>14157863
>Yes, Taleb's reputation is more important than conceding this relatively obscure point
Taleb does not care about his reputation. He constantly attacks Academia:tm: and the imbeciles in it.
>Take a step back and just realize that when people from /pol/ say
>>evolution stops at the neck
>they're unironically destroying your argument and its credibility.
That strawman has lost all credibility. I follow a bunch of alt right people and race realism proponents (who post research papers). They still use this shitty argument. Please just stop posting; crawl back to where you came from /pol/ vermin.

>> No.14157902

>>14157889
Hey, talebanon, you seem to make a lot of claims. Mind justifying them? Why don’t we start here: Why is IQ bullshit?

>> No.14157904
File: 103 KB, 1071x387, SmartSelect_20191110-160201_Twitter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14157904

>>14157878
Not a single person has refuted Taleb's controversial medium post to this day. The only people that attack it are those ignorant of statistics.

>> No.14157913

>>14157904
>my dad is bigger than your dad
Please, focus. YOU tell me why IQ is bullshit, using Talebs arguments if you want, don’t retreat behind articles and books.

>> No.14157915

>>14157889
Attacking academia can let you sell bestsellers these days. Talking about race and IQ can get your name dragged through the mud for decades just for writing a single page about it. See: Charles Murray

Nice try though pseud.

>That strawman has lost all credibility. I follow a bunch of alt right people and race realism proponents (who post research papers). They still use this shitty argument. Please just stop posting; crawl back to where you came from /pol/ vermin.
404: argument not found

>>14157888
How else do you ascertain someone's performance in their life? Most people put their intellectual efforts into their career.

>> No.14157919

>>14157852
Has he said whether or not he believes in God

>> No.14157921

>>14157913
Already done
https://medium.com/incerto/iq-is-largely-a-pseudoscientific-swindle-f131c101ba39

>> No.14157929

>>14157902
>you seem to make a lot of claims. Mind justifying them?
What claims? It's all common knowledge.
>Why is IQ bullshit?
Taleb proved IQ is bullshit
https://medium.com/incerto/iq-is-largely-a-pseudoscientific-swindle-f131c101ba39

>> No.14157940

>>14157915
Academic performance, how much you love your wife and children, virtue, honour, love of God. Anything’s better than “how good you are at doing menial tasks like pushing a button, sweeping the floor, or doing some rich man’s accounting.

>> No.14157950
File: 27 KB, 483x291, sat race income 1995.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14157950

>>14157940
>Academic performance
That's the only empirically measurable metric you've mentioned, and the correlation between IQ and SAT scores is well documented, particularly along racial lines even adjusting for income.

>>14157921
>>14157929
>.com website
lol

>> No.14157959
File: 107 KB, 1200x448, ECCg9c1XYAAlh0n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14157959

>>14157915
>Attacking academia can let you sell bestsellers these days.
Taleb is already hated by alt right vermin, socialists, atheists, Academia:tm: , and IQtards. He's lost a lot of his reputation just from his tweets.
>Talking about race and IQ can get your name dragged through the mud for decades just for writing a single page about it.
As should talking about IQ. I'm glad imbeciles get discredited for writing bullshit papers and books.
>Charles Murray
That imebcile was already destroyed by Taleb and outed as a fraud.
>404: argument not found
I'm not here to spoonfeed you arguments against race realism.

>> No.14157963

>>14154305
Does he happen to be jewish?

>> No.14157971

>>14157950
>.com website
Not an argument. Tell us why Taleb is wrong in this article.
>Turns out IQ beats random selection in the best of applications by less than 6%, typically <2%, as the computation of correlations have a flaw and psychologists do not seem to know the informational value of correlation in terms of “how much do I gain information about B knowing A” and propagation of error (intra-test variance for a single individual).
Seems pretty decisive. Psychologists are dumb, misrepresenting their findings.

>> No.14157975

>>14157963
Yes.
>>14157950
Taleb is a respected researcher and mathematician. He has also studied psychology. He's more qualified than most klueless psychologists to say that IQ is bullshit.

>> No.14157985

>>14157959
>Taleb is already hated by alt right vermin, socialists, atheists, Academia:tm: , and IQtards. He's lost a lot of his reputation just from his tweets.
Irrelevant to my point. He still has easy access to esteemed publishing houses and can publish in the most "august" newspapers. He couldn't do that if he became a race realist, so he isn't one. Simple as

>As should talking about IQ. I'm glad imbeciles get discredited for writing bullshit papers and books.
bro censorship is based!

>That imebcile was already destroyed by Taleb and outed as a fraud.
no he wasn't

>I'm not here to spoonfeed you arguments against race realism.
yes because you have none

>>14157971
Do you really think one man has refuted an entire field, the dozens of meta analyses, and cumulative research of almost a century?

Why hasn't this man been given a nobel prize yet? Could it be you're just a fanboy?

>>14157975
You're asserting he knows more than an entire field of people.

>> No.14157989

>>14157921
This guy is asking ALL of the right questions. Fucking Based.

>> No.14157995

>>14157985
>Do you really think one man has refuted an entire field, the dozens of meta analyses, and cumulative research of almost a century?
Irrelevant what I think. I could think I’m napoleon incarnate and it wouldn’t change anything. Refute the article or you’ve been BTFO by taleb once again.

>> No.14158007

>>14157995
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1jsWrQu7CQ&t=868s

This guy refutes it. Taleb BTFO once again.

>>14157989
samefag

>> No.14158012

>>14157963
He's Jewish, both his parents were Polish/Romanian Jews, his current (third) wife is Jewish, and his brother in law--her brother--is an orthodox rabbi.

>> No.14158029
File: 10 KB, 241x209, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14158029

>>14157985
>Irrelevant to my point. He still has easy access to esteemed publishing houses and can publish in the most "august" newspapers.
Taleb went to plenty of publishers and they refused to publish his first book.
>He couldn't do that if he became a race realist, so he isn't one. Simple as.
He's not a race realist because he realises that it's pseudoscience, just like IQ.
>bro censorship is based!
Censoring imbeciles is based; that's why Taleb blocks imbeciles. Imbeciles don't bring new arguments or ideas to the table, they just keep repeating the same ones.
>no he wasn't
Check my last post. The picture shows Taleb's devastating review of one of Murray's books.
>yes because you have none
Whatever, imbecile.
>You're asserting he knows more than an entire field of people.
He does. Psychologists and IQ researchers are IYIs.
>Do you really think one man has refuted an entire field, the dozens of meta analyses, and cumulative research of almost a century?
Yes, they're based on faulty math and statistics. Taleb knows that most academics are IYIs anyways.

>> No.14158061

>>14158007
He didn’t refute the article he looked at ONE TWEET in a video that wasn’t even about Taleb. The guy is also a complete brainlet.

>> No.14158075

>>14156407
Off topic but I'm currently reading a book by one of the few psychologists Taleb respects and quotes, Gerd Gigerenzer, and I can wholeheartedly recommend him

>> No.14158089

>>14158029
>Taleb went to plenty of publishers and they refused to publish his first book.
That's because he was an unknown, not because he was blacklisted for wrongthink. Try again.
>He's not a race realist because he realises that it's pseudoscience, just like IQ.
He has decided that it's pseudoscience because to not have that view invites blacklisting. Regardless of his view the preponderance of the evidence is that race and IQ do correlate.
>Censoring imbeciles is based; that's why Taleb blocks imbeciles. Imbeciles don't bring new arguments or ideas to the table, they just keep repeating the same ones.
2 reddit gold has been deposited into your account
>Check my last post. The picture shows Taleb's devastating review of one of Murray's books.
full of ad hominem attacks, yes. taleb isn't as infallible as you think. you seem to have a cult-like fascination with him
>He does. Psychologists and IQ researchers are IYIs.
more evidence of your cult-like adherence to one man
>Yes, they're based on faulty math and statistics. Taleb knows that most academics are IYIs anyways.
you are a cultist

>>14158061
COPE. taleb was "BTFO" as you taleb cultists say

>> No.14158110

>>14158089
>He has decided that it's pseudoscience because to not have that view invites blacklisting
That's not true, because otherwise every other psychologist would be blacklisted, and even if it was true it would be absurd to assume that Taleb off all people would pretend to hold this view for that reason

>> No.14158121

>>14158110
I'm not a big fan of him either but a lack of integrity is probably the last thing you could accuse him of

>> No.14158131

>>14158089
>That's because he was an unknown, not because he was blacklisted for wrongthink.
Not it's because they didn't know what his books were about.
>He has decided that it's pseudoscience because to not have that view invites blacklisting. Regardless of his view the preponderance of the evidence is that race and IQ do correlate.
Maybe try reading his arguments against race realism, instead of making up conspiracy theories.
https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1116342266195476481
>2 reddit gold has been deposited into your account
So ebin fellow 4channeler xD
>full of ad hominem attacks
Now facts are ad hominems to alt right barbarians?
>taleb isn't as infallible as you think. you seem to have a cult-like fascination with him
He's a genius
>more evidence of your cult-like adherence to one man
Taleb has read hundreds of psychology books; that's why he knows most psychologists are klueless.
>you are a cultist
Says the alt right vermin. Go suck off Richard Lynn.

>> No.14158140

>>14158089
>bro if I link to a completely unrelated video which mentions Taleb in passing that means Talebs whole article has been refuted

>> No.14158142

>>14158110
>That's not true, because otherwise every other psychologist would be blacklisted
Nearly every serious psychologist agrees on the validity of IQ. Most just refuse to comment on how it interacts with race. Taleb rejects IQ outright, not just race and IQ. And yes, people who do correlate the two do get blacklisted. Charles Murray was almost blacklisted himself, and gets assaulted when trying to speak on campuses. All because he added 1 page to race and IQ in an 800 page book. Making it a central talking point of yours will unironically get you added to hate group watchlists.

Listen to Sam Harris' podcast with Murray if you want a good look into the faux-controversy.

>>14158121
I'm not without nuance, I will admit that Taleb has an unusually high amount of integrity, but asking someone to publicly acknowledge that black people are inherently less intelligent even controlling for income and upbringing is a death sentence for their career. In a way, Taleb is right NOT to admit it purely because it would disrupt his life to a large extent

>> No.14158155

>>14158007
Genuinely not. I clicked on this thread because I saw the faggot in OP's picture on a clickbait article when I opened a new tab.

Taleb seems like my brother from another mother.

>> No.14158160

>>14158142
>Nearly every serious psychologist agrees on the validity of IQ.
Psychologists are klueless IYIs. They don't know anything.

>> No.14158161

>>14158131
>Not it's because they didn't know what his books were about.
irrelevant
>Maybe try reading his arguments against race realism, instead of making up conspiracy theories.
I'm speculating at his motivations, hardly a conspiracy theory. Maybe you should try thinking more critically about why people you sheepishly idealize think the way they do?
>So ebin fellow 4channeler xD
seethe.
>Now facts are ad hominems to alt right barbarians?
taleb makes ad hominems all the time, you should know this since you're obsessed with him
>He's a genius
so are many of the people who believe things contrary to him, irrelevant
>Taleb has read hundreds of psychology books; that's why he knows most psychologists are klueless.
not even going to touch this one
>Says the alt right vermin. Go suck off Richard Lynn.
seething cultist

>>14158140
Yes it's vacuous argument. So is linking to one of Taleb's shitty articles and saying BRO ALL PSYCHOLIGSTS EVER BTFO!!!

>> No.14158165

>>14158160
>taleb cultist can't even communicate without using the same buzzwords

>> No.14158170
File: 127 KB, 782x758, 1562820130800.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14158170

>>14158165
>STOP TELLING ME THAT ALMOST ALL PSYCHOLOGISTS ARE KLUELESS IYIS

>> No.14158173
File: 55 KB, 530x406, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14158173

Here's one of the arguments Taleb makes in his vaunted article the cultists keep linking.
>bro mensa members are actually losers lol look theyre wearing sandals with socks!!
Truly a genius. Why hasn't this man won the nobel prize yet?

>> No.14158175

>>14158142
That’s a retarded interpretation. If Taleb was just scared of admitting that he believes in IQ and race because the lefties would pressure him, he would just keep silent about it, as most people do. But he doesn’t; in fact, he talks about it at length, writes articles about it, and it has become one of the most controversial parts of his career. You can’t say “he is lying but its okay because he’s doing it because he’s afraid”, since he’s going way beyond what is required to keep out of trouble. If you say he’s lying, the only conclusion is that he is being deliberately sinister and immoral.

>> No.14158180

>>14158175
Have you seen the way Taleb writes? He insults people left and right; half the time his website articles don't even have proper grammar and English usage. The man is hardly prudent.

>> No.14158188

>>14158161
An article from an actual statistician going in length explaining why IQ is bullshit is a lot different than linking to a random white nationalist on YouTube, especially one like Ryan, who has proven himself to be a brainlet.

>> No.14158189

>>14158142
You misread my post. What I was saying was precisely that almost every psychologist agrees that IQ is valid, at least to an extent, and that believing in IQ thus obviously doesn't lead to being blacklisted, thus Taleb's disapproval of the concept of IQ in general can't stem from fear of being blacklisted.

>> No.14158190

>>14158161
>I'm speculating at his motivations, hardly a conspiracy theory. Maybe you should try thinking more critically about why people you sheepishly idealize think the way they do?
Read his arguments against race realism. That's why he rejects it, IMBECILE.
https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1116342266195476481?s=19
>seethe
Go back to /pol/, alt right tranny
>taleb makes ad hominems all the time, you should know this since you're obsessed with him
yeah yeah go back crawl back into the sewer /pol/ vermin
>not even going to touch this one
Because it proves you wrong
>seething cultist
Obsessed

>> No.14158243

>>14158188
Yet the statistician is making ad hominem arguments and thinks he is refuting an entire area of science. It's basically only slightly above YouTube videos, don't delude yourself.

>>14158189
Yes that's true, you're right. I apologize, I'm replying to several posters at once


>>14158190
seething taleb cultist can't do anything but link his lord and savior's shitty ad hominem articles

>> No.14158245

>>14154305
Pinker was retroactively refuted by Ellul and Kaczynski.

>> No.14158291

>>14158243
Ad hominem arguments aside, his statistical analysis is sound, otherwise please point out the flaws. Taleb is an arrogant asshole but he is right.

>> No.14158308

>>14158291
statistically what are the odds that this one guy some mentally unhinged cult of personality types have decided to latch onto knows the one weird trick to BTFO an entire discipline of science?

>> No.14158586

>>14158308
Why dont you comment the real statistical flaws he points out instead of writing such posts?
Its not like hes the only one in the world critizising IQ research, but he seems to be familiar with the statsitical methods of IQ research and in general, yet all you do is shout ad hominems
>but he ad hominem first!!
Fine. Write a statistically sound rebuttal to his article then youll get a sandnigger-pass

>> No.14159537

>>14158308
>one weird trick
Did you read the article? It's clearly not. The problem is psychology is based on ignorance, and psychologists, being limited to their field, are too ignorant to notice this or their amplifying mistakes. And if they have an inkling, they don't care because it's their career that's important. Perhaps a problem for every discipline, especially sciences in the presentday, is that their practitioners have no broader education or independent thought. Even reading a bit of literature will go a long way to thinking beyond the narrow worldview implicit in a single discipline. This is demonstrated most strongly in social sciences through mathematical ignorance.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action