Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/lit/ - Literature


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 1019 KB, 2000x1751, 1487355308643.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14140168 No.14140168 [Reply] [Original]

Why is atheism so depressing?

>> No.14140179

>>14140168
Because it's weak and dull.

>> No.14140210

>>14140168
Are you serious? Are you telling me that you’re depressed because you don’t need to rely on faith for anything? Anon, you have TRUTH and REASON. That’s literally all that matters. Yes, the worldview can seem a bit dull, but at least you’re not possibly wrong about anything. That’s worse than any hell, in my opinion.

>> No.14140225
File: 20 KB, 570x541, 1573205178321.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14140225

>>14140168
If I ever became atheist I think I would kill myself. Life just isn't worth living if it's true.

>> No.14140244

>>14140168
because you have to find meaning for yourself like a big boy instead of just receiving readymade meanings. such responsibility is too much to bear for some

>> No.14140253

>>14140168
It's not to me. I've been an atheist for a decade now and my life is full of meaning and purpose. Maybe the important distinction to make is that I don't identify as an atheist. I only called myself an atheist here because I don't believe in any higher power, but it's not something I ever spend much time thinking about. However, to be clear, I'm not making the positive statement that God doesn't exist. I remain an epistemological skeptic.

>> No.14140254

>>14140168
Atheism is devoid of life. It's a spiritual lobotomy.

>> No.14140256

>>14140253
So you're agnostic?

>> No.14140257

>>14140244
>thousands of years of human civilization result in a plethora of readymade opinions
>all of them are wrong, you have to create one yourself for reasons
I don’t understand this reasoning. Is this just an ego thing?

>> No.14140261
File: 5 KB, 305x165, 1572840245620.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14140261

>>14140244
Even Sartre says religion is a good way to find meaning, idiot.

>> No.14140269

>>14140244
If you think you've found meaning as an atheist then all you've accomplished is a form of delusion.

>> No.14140276

>>14140256
Sure, but also an atheist, since I don't believe in God. The way I see it, if you don't believe in God, even if you're simply unsure and suspending judgment, you're an atheist, since atheism is a lack of belief and belief is something positive.

>> No.14140285

>>14140168
Because religion, or its residual effects, broke you.

>> No.14140295

>>14140276
You're an atheist if you deny a substrate. "God" is irrelevant.

Don't let the (((Abrahamists))) fool you.

>> No.14140303
File: 16 KB, 578x433, E1564785-4FA5-48B1-8D21-DC898DF3684D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14140303

>>14140295
>”God”

>> No.14140309

>>14140269
Pretty sure convincing yourself that your abusive sky dad made your life shitty because he loves you is way more unhealthy and delusional.

>> No.14140312
File: 109 KB, 900x900, 1573330905558.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14140312

>>14140295
>(((Abrahamists)))
Go back

>> No.14140315

Christianity wore me down like a bad habit, I started to feel a lot better after I kicked it.

>> No.14140321
File: 82 KB, 454x541, 1563624073552.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14140321

>>14140309
>abusive sky dad
Go back

>> No.14140323
File: 98 KB, 450x435, 343232342.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14140323

>>14140276
So you're agnostic atheist?

>> No.14140324

>>14140309
The evidence says otherwise:

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp.161.12.2303

https://psycnet.apa.org/buy/2003-06077-010

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1064748112604503

https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1993-18209-001

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_lookup?hl=en-US&publication_year=2005&pages=797-823&author=F+Van+Tubergen&author=M+Te+Grotenhuis&author=W.+Ultee&title=Denomination%2C+religious+context%2C+and+suicide%3A+Neo-Durkheimian+multilevel+explanations+tested+with+individual+and+contextual+data#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3DG5Quu87ycCkJ

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1521/suli.32.4.404.22333

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/talking-about-men/201712/religion-and-mental-health-what-is-the-link%3famp

http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/people-files/faculty/si105/FINAL_Fruehwirth_Iyer_Zhang_Dec2017.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4482518/


But if you need to cope with your faith that atheists are happy, then whatever, go ahead.

>> No.14140328
File: 288 KB, 836x588, 1559226791618.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14140328

>>14140309
>no, your delusion is worse than my delusion!
The absolute state of atheists.

>> No.14140330

>>14140309
>abrahamic god
>abusive
Hello I am athist gib free eternal happiness for being existant

>> No.14140348

>>14140312
Triggered the christcuck, huh?

>> No.14140350
File: 19 KB, 490x586, 1573331070578.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14140350

>Triggered the christcuck, huh?

>> No.14140356

>>14140328

It's actually the other way around.

>> No.14140360

>>14140356
Evidence says otherwise
>>14140324

>> No.14140372

>>14140356
What's the point of criticizing delusions if you acknowledge yourself as delusional as well?

>> No.14140418

>>14140324
wtf your random assortment of links is gonna make me religious now

>> No.14140427

>>14140210
Ironic?

>> No.14140428

>>14140324
there's a difference between saying religion helps a suicidal depressed person and saying religion gives the average person a better more fulfilled life. Also there is an argument that its more ethical for a chronically depressed adult to have the opportunity to die rather than live in pain for decades, so the correlation between religion and suicide prevention as an absolute social good is not ironclad

>> No.14140432

Lying to yourself is more depressing

>> No.14140436

>>14140356
That's how they think going in, yes. But it really isn't, you see.

>> No.14140473

>>14140432
So don’t deny God; we agree.

>> No.14140563

>>14140323
Yes

>> No.14140605
File: 119 KB, 558x327, MV5BMTY0MDg0MDM3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODEwMjMyMjE@._V1_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14140605

>>14140168
Because you placed the value of life in shit that was never real to begin with!

>> No.14140614

>>14140244
at least you admit that you dont create meaning lmao

>> No.14140622

>>14140257
>Is this just an ego thing?
Yes its pride.
>>14140309
>muh strawman version of god

>> No.14140633

It’s the same reason day-to-day life is depressing. Sure, it would be nice if we were living in a fantasy book with elves and hobbits going on an adventure to destroy the Ring, but were not, were just going to work and following our inclinations without much thought fully knowledgeable of the fact that we are going to forget everything we did today in the long term.
Similarly, it would be nice if there was a religious god who loved you personally and gave you meaning and certainty and a purpose but the fact is that there’s no reason to believe in such a being so we don’t believe in them.
Reality is boring and depressing. Atheism is an acceptance of that reality. Theism is being like Don Quixote and convincing yourself that you’re some knight on a quest.

>> No.14140637

>>14140428
>religion gives the average person a better more fulfilled life.
The average person is religious and loves it.

>> No.14140650

>>14140605
Nothing is real, everything falls away

>> No.14140663

>>14140168
Not a literature thread.
Fuck off

>> No.14140668

>>14140650
This life is real. Everything else is nothing.

>> No.14140685

>>14140225
Life's not worth living if you're not somebody's doll?

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action