[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 177 KB, 647x656, 1561650510195.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14010857 No.14010857 [Reply] [Original]

Post Whitehead quotes
>"The ultimate evil in the temporal world is deeper than any specific evil. It lies in the fact that the past fades, that time is a 'perpetual perishing.' Objectification involves elimination. The present fact has not the past fact with it in any full immediacy. The process of time veils the past below distinctive feeling. There is a unison of becoming among things in the present. Why should there not be novelty without loss of this direct unison of immediacy among things? In the temporal world, it is the empirical fact that process entails loss: the past is present under an abstraction. But there is no reason, of any ultimate metaphysical generality, why this should be the whole story. The nature of evil is that the character of things are mutually obstructive. Thus the depths of life require a process of selection. But the selection is elimination as the first step towards another temporal order seeking to minimize obstructive modes. Selection is at once the measure of evil and the process of its evasion. It means the discarding the element of obstructiveness in fact. No element in fact is ineffectual: Thus the struggle with evil is a process of building up a mode of utilization by the provision of intermediate elements introducing a complex structure of harmony. The triviality in some initial reconstruction of order expresses the fact that actualities are being produced, which, trivial in their own proper character of immediate 'ends,' are proper 'means' for the emergence of a world at once lucid, and intrinsically of immediate worth.
"The evil of the world is that those elements which are translucent so far as transmission is concerned, in themselves are of slight weight; and that those elements with individual weight, by their discord, impose upon vivid immediacy the obligation that it fades into night. 'He giveth his beloved - sleep.'"

>> No.14010869

How many times are you gonna repost this?

>> No.14010878

What's the point of posting random passages from Process and Reality?

>> No.14010909

From Adventures of Ideas

"We notice that a great idea in the background of dim consciousness is like a phantom ocean beating upon the shores of human life in successive waves of specialization" pg. 19,

"The folly of intelligent people, clear-headed and narrow-visioned, has precipitated many catastrophes" pg. 48

In the study of ideas, it is necessary to remember that insistence on hard-headed clarity issues from sentimental feeling, as if it were a mist, cloaking the perplexities of fact. Insistence on clarity at all costs is based on sheer superstition as to the mode in which human intelligence functions. Our reasoning grasps at straws for premises and float on gossamer for deductions.
p. 91.

Life is an offensive, directed against the repetitious mechanism of the Universe.
p. 102

"The creativity of the world is the throbbing emotion of the past hurling itself into a new transcendent fact" pg. 177

"Thus it belongs to the essence of each occasion of experience that it is concerned with an otherness transcending itself" pg. 180,

"It is not a mere question of having a soul or of not having a soul. The question is, How much, if any?" Pg. 208

"To know the truth partially is to distort the Universe. For example, the savage who can only count to ten enormously exaggerates the importance of the small numbers, and so do we whose imaginations fail when we come to millions" pg. 243

"Music elicits some confused feeling into direct apprehension. It performs this service, or disservice, by introducing an emotional clothing which changes the dim objective reality into a clear Appearance matching the subjective form provided for its prehension" pg. 249

The deepest definition of youth is life as yet untouched by tragedy.
p. 285.
The human body is an instrument for the production of art in the life of the human soul.
p. 349.
"Progress is founded upon the experience of discordant feelings. The social value of liberty lies in its production of discords. There are perfections beyond perfections. All realization is finite, and there is no perfection which is the infinitude of all perfections. Perfections of diverse types are among themselves discordant. Thus the contribution to Beauty which can be supplied by Discord -- in itself destructive and evil -- is the positive feeling a quick shift aim from the tameness of outworn perfection to some other ideal with its freshness still upon it. Thus the value of Discord is a tribute to the merits of imperfection." pg. 257

"One principle is that the very essence of real actuality -- that is, of the completely real -- is process. Thus each actual thing is only to be understood in terms of its becoming and perishing. There is no halt in which the actuality is just itself, accidentally played upon by qualifications derived from the shift of circumstances. The converse is the truth." pg. 274-275

>> No.14010915

>spamming memes and copy paste quotes for your lack of understanding and digestion
truly catastrofique

>> No.14011324
File: 94 KB, 796x1082, 1568935790940.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't understand

>> No.14011978

>>14010869
>>14010878
>>14010915
what's the point of this fucking board? no one here reads or understands anything or talks about books or philosophy, they only posture like you retards

>> No.14012005

>>14011978
delete your thread and your account

>> No.14012059

>>14010909
>"Music elicits some confused feeling into direct apprehension. It performs this service, or disservice, by introducing an emotional clothing which changes the dim objective reality into a clear Appearance matching the subjective form provided for its prehension" pg. 249

mr obvious

>> No.14012493

>>14010857
Hes just assuming we have free will to choose. Your going to judge what's "good" and "evil" but you dont know what good or evil might come about as a consequence. True?

>> No.14012536

>>14010857
Is he saying evil is inevitable because "the character of things mutually obstructable?" A refutation of the socratic ideal?

>> No.14013648

> Logical Positivism is a topic rarely distant from my thought. Every mathematician and symbolic logician is, in his habit of thought, a logical positivist. Yet to some of the expositions I find myself in violent opposition — especially to the very habit of dismissing questions as unmeaning i.e. unable to be expressed in existing symbolism. Wittgenstein annoys me intensely. He is the complete example of the sayings: I am Master of the College What I know not, is not knowledge.
> Logical Positivism in this mood — its only mood — will produce a timid, shut in, unenterprising state of mind, engaged in the elaboration of details. I always test these general rules by trying to imagine the sterilizing effect of such a state of mind, if prevalent at any time in the last ten thousand years.
> The fact is that thought in the previous two centuries has been engaged in disengaging itself from the shackles of dogmatic divinity. Thus it unconsciously seeks new fetters, viz anything offensive to the Pope of Rome. But I see no reason to believe that the stretch of Bertrand Russell’s mind or of Wittgenstein’s mind, or of Carnap’s mind, has attained the limits of insight or expression possible in the evolution of intelligent beings. They are bright boys, good representatives of a stage of rationalization, but nothing more.