[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 91 KB, 500x446, 1513140606284.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13646382 No.13646382 [Reply] [Original]

I will soon be studying at university, with the chance to study philosophy. Should I major in phil or study on my own? What is the best way to learn the subject?

>> No.13646389

>>13646382
you gonna be serving me wendys in the future.

>> No.13646393
File: 509 KB, 557x669, 1552697741980.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13646389
I don't want to work at Wendy's

>> No.13646394

>>13646382
University is a scam and you're just perpetuating the system

>> No.13646396

>>13646393
>philosophy.
just study it unless you think you are gonna be a game changer in the philosophy biz.

>> No.13646399

>>13646382
studying philosophy won't make you a philosopher. it will give you a diploma and only that (you obviously will learn, too, but you can study and learn on your own). i, if i were you, would choose some other thing to graduate in.

>> No.13646400

Depends whether you're in an Anglosphere country or not. If you are, almost all capital-P Philosophy departments will be extremely analytic if not exclusively analytic. If your soul's destiny is to become an analytic, that's probably just fine, but the problem is you won't even KNOW whether you are a born analytic or not because you'll never be exposed to continental thought to be able to form a comparison.

If you're just entering uni you're probably very young, too young, and with too little time to undertake serious study and decide whether you're a fucking analytic or continental. For the average layperson that would take a couple years of dabbling in both to get a real feel for both. So the only advice I can give you is: just because the Philosophy department spells Philosophy with a capital "P" doesn't mean it's really synonymous with Philosophy. If you're in an Anglosphere department, you should make a very earnest effort to branch out and explore continental thought while you can, just in case it's actually your metier.

If you're in a country where continental thought is totally dominant, the opposite applies, i.e. you should explore analytic thought on your own initiative because you probably won't be exposed to it. I say this out of fairness even though I think all analytics should be hanged.

>> No.13646406

>>13646382
actually, studying philosophy at an university is one of the most dumb things someone can do. jesus, how people even think of that?

>> No.13646413

Unless you're rich, you'll regret not studying something that makes capable of having an income and feeding yourself.

>> No.13646415

>>13646399
Thanks for your thoughts. I guess this, along with other replies, is pretty convincing. Also, how do you recommend one studies on one's own? My method has been: read Durant's "The Story of Philosophy" to get the general ideas, then read a primary source or two along with the Stanford encyclopedia. Any tips or advice?
>>13646400
I am in the US and I'm not too aware of whether analytic or continental is dominant. Any insight on which it is and how I should act based on it?

>> No.13646419

>>13646413
This is something I hear a lot when someone is considering studying lit and the humanities. My personality is the type where I stay focused on something I like and have trouble doing things I don't want to do. What would you say are some good things to study and try that are decently well paying for someone with an interest in reading and writing?

>> No.13646431

>>13646419
Something like translation, that can be fairly lucrative. Best to already be bilingual though.Way back in highschool my french teacher, who was the most based teacher I ever had, suggested to me that I do that.

>> No.13646441

>>13646431
That sounds interesting. I am fluent in both Korean and English so I may look into this. What majors would one have to take and wouldn't be hard to get hired? I assume that the amount of books being translated from Korean to English and vice versa are very limited.

>> No.13646453

>>13646441
Unfortunately I dont know the specifics, I didnt pursue that at all. I imagine that there is a lot of work in Korea teaching English, but that's a different discipline. There must also be a lot of more formal translation work being done over there, I know that where I live we translate shitloads between french and english, but that's Canada and we are autistically bilingual because of Quebec.

Not the most useful reply, sorry m8.

>> No.13646457

>>13646453
No, don't be. Thanks for bringing this up. I've been looking around for career ideas and this is something that could really help. Grateful for your help.

>> No.13646586

>>13646415
I wish I could hug you rn
I need a good hug

>> No.13646590

>>13646382
go to bunkerchan and read the suggested reading list.

>> No.13646620

>>13646586
I could use a hug too, Anon. Sleep well knowing that an Anon out there would hold you tightly and lovingly.

>> No.13646708

start with the greeks and make sure to always be expanding your vocabulary by binge watching Martha Speaks every day

>> No.13646735

>>13646620
Thank you. I have to wake up early for work tomorrow. Sweet dreams

>> No.13646751

imagine paying someone to think your thoughts for you

>> No.13646755

>>13646590
Fuck off of here you shill

>> No.13646800

>>13646415
Its analytic retard, everything in the US comes from England, like your shitty law system

>> No.13646806

>>13646382
>What is the best way to learn the subject?
going to school for it but going to school for it will leave you in lots of debt, i suggest you go for a trade(or other profitable venture) and make an income then go back while studying it on the side in the meantime.

>> No.13647753

>>13646415
i started with plato and stablished a time line. i read a book about the history of philosophy, too, it helped understand the basic ideas of each moviment, at least the most important ones. i study (on my own) history too, but not with a chronology, so was not something i was doing by "obligation" and was not boring. when i finished some plato books, i downloaded some aristotle books. the greek philosophers are not very complicated. they have pretty clear ideas (and some of them are pretty obvious, what make some of the books a little boring), so theres nothing to be afraid of, about the difficulties in understanding. and, with the understanding of these few greek philosophers - and they ideas about justice, choice, gods, bad, good, bla, bla, bla - i read, jumped to others and continued reading (in order). they kinda follow the predecessors ideas, so its not hard to understand they ideas as well. dont mind if you see any mistake on my wrinting. im not a native speaker, and i didnt learn english by classes, i learned it by myself and not very diligently. i learned just to ready manga (and books), so i didnt preoccupied about the writing problem. well, anyway, thats the tip i give you, to start with philosophy. you can, as well, pick a book of a moviment that interest you and try to learn it. nothing bad will come from that.