[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 499 KB, 1653x2560, 81KBldResmL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13642061 No.13642061 [Reply] [Original]

I just finished IJ and thought it was really good. I couldn't believe people before who said they wished it was longer, but now I get that.
Then I looked around online and it seems like I missed so much shit. James has a cartridge in his head? Hal accidentally takes DMZ from his toothbrush or its synthesised from the mold? And that's why he can't communicate in the first chapter? Hal and Don dig up James with John Wayne? What the fuck?
I think this could benefit from those extra 500 pages that were apparently cut out.

>> No.13642074

>>13642061
Yeah, this is everyone's initial reaction. I think DFW just didn't want to focus on fleshing out the narrative he created for experimental purposes or some shit. Idk.

>> No.13642084

Wow, those spoilers make it sound like some low tier scifi wank.
Imagine actually caring about american writers.

>> No.13642209

Infinite Jest is pretty overrated. Tried reading it and it was just a bunch of incoherent rambling about nothing in particular. I don't get the hype. It's just wank material for stoners and drug addicts who think their deep.