[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 31 KB, 348x500, MobyDick.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13594703 No.13594703 [Reply] [Original]

I just finished this novel. What the hell was Ahabs problem? And what was his relationship with pip after the drowning supposed to mean?

>> No.13594883

>>13594703
he was his butt friend

>> No.13595160

both has killed their selves

>> No.13595460

>>13594703
German here, really want to pick this one up but almost every translated version got bad rep. How hard is the original to read? I only heard that the book becomes harder to read the further you go on and that the whale analysis can feel dragged on.

>> No.13595671

>>13595460
How difficult is this sentence for you?
>Though amid all the smoking horror and diabolism of a sea-fight, sharks will be seen longingly gazing up to the ship’s decks, like hungry dogs round a table where red meat is being carved, ready to bolt down every killed man that is tossed to them; and though, while the valiant butchers over the deck-table are thus cannibally carving each other’s live meat with carving-knives all gilded and tasselled, the sharks, also, with their jewel-hilted mouths, are quarrelsomely carving away under the table at the dead meat; and though, were you to turn the whole affair upside down, it would still be pretty much the same thing, that is to say, a shocking sharkish business enough for all parties; and though sharks also are the invariable outriders of all slave ships crossing the Atlantic, systematically trotting alongside, to be handy in case a parcel is to be carried anywhere, or a dead slave to be decently buried; and though one or two other like instances might be set down, touching the set terms, places, and occasions, when sharks do most socially congregate, and most hilariously feast; yet is there no conceivable time or occasion when you will find them in such countless numbers, and in gayer or more jovial spirits, than around a dead sperm whale, moored by night to a whaleship at sea.

>> No.13595676

Ahab was a proto-American

>> No.13595772
File: 233 KB, 537x398, cloud of words.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13595671
I needed multiple attempts on certain parts, the structure is just too convoluted for my English skills, I'll settle for a translation and then maybe revisit the English version for a future re-read, thank you.

>> No.13596344

>What the hell was his problem?

It's our problem friend. Gotta figure out a way to cope with the fact that "all visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks"