[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 3.30 MB, 2970x3977, drafting-declaration.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13577918 No.13577918 [Reply] [Original]

I want to know more about the founding fathers and their life. What education did they have and what books did they read, how they wrote and debated and how they create a nation from scratch? What books should I read, or read the ones that they wrote?

>> No.13578171

Just asked my bud. He says Learning of Liberty by the Pangles, and Culture of Classicism by Winterer for most of your questions, then Wood's Creation of the American Republic and/or Amar's The Constitution: A Biography ("the latter especially for a more lay but still really solid intro"). The latter two are also especially for the "creating a nation from scratch" thing.

>> No.13578172
File: 84 KB, 572x590, No thank you, no founding fathers or enlightment bullshit for me..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The founding fathers were short-sighted brainlets, puffed up and drunk on a poisoned perverted 'philosophy', whose consequences persist to this very day. And by persist, I mean metastasized; they have festered, grown, and purified, tainting society from its leadership, to its institution, to culture, to family itself. These "Fathers" based their philosophical and moral tenants on a thick-neck thinkers, who rejected hitherto some 2100 years of philosophical and intellectual development from their pride and arrogance—The Enlightenment and indeed remains a tragic misstep in philosophical development. And what do these Founding Flounders have to show for their 'contributions'? Liberalism and its modern incarnations (make no mistake, classical liberalism and contemporary liberalism are both branches of the same tree). Democracy that pulls the state apart. Unchecked immigration. Consumerism. A population that hates one another. Homosexuality is not only tolerated but any criticism of it ostracizes you. A factum non genitum, artificial "state", is not to be commended, but rather, rebuked to the highest degree of detestation and anyone who expresses any admiration of the founding fathers is a brainlet. All of their works should be taken and burned and their state, and all likemannered states dismantled (virtually all nations in the world). Anyone who supports or expresses admiration for the Founding Father's is a pleb, and 99.9% of contemporary criticisms of them, are in fact, rooted in the very ideas they advocated, and are but another continuation of the same garbage they laid out. Caecus caeco dux. Plato would weep if he saw that the name of his Politeia, applied to such an antithesis of its name.

>> No.13578177

>>13578172
>purified
putrefied*
>The Enlightenment *was* and indeed remains a tragic misstep in philosophical development.

>> No.13578987

>>13578171
thanks, this group is the most based in history, only the ones in the falling of Roman republic and the poets in the Elizabethan era were at the same level

>> No.13579124

>>13578172
Brainlet detected.

>> No.13579225

>Divide your free time, (I mean of your vacant hours) into three portions. Give the principal to History, the other two, which should be shorter, to Philosophy and Poetry.
>First read Goldsmith's history of Greece. This will give you a digested view of that field. Then take up antient history in the detail, reading the following books, in the following order: Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophontis Hellenica, Xenophontis Anabasis, Arrian, Quintus Curtius, Diodorus Siculus, Justin. This shall form the first stage of your historical reading, and is all I need mention to you now. The next, will be of Roman history. From that, we will come down to modern history. In Greek and Latin poetry, you have read or will read at school, Virgil, Terence, Horace, Anacreon, Theocritus, Homer, Euripides, Sophocles. Read also Milton's Paradise Lost, Shakspeare, Ossian, Pope's and Swift's works, in order to form your style in your own language. In morality, read Epictetus, Xenophontis Memorabilia, Plato's Socratic dialogues, Cicero's philosophies, Antoninus, and Seneca. In order to assure a certain progress in this reading, consider what hours you have free from the school and the exercises of the school.

Thomas Jefferson's letter to his nephew, August 1785

>> No.13579255

>>13577918
Founding Brothers, American Sphinx, Hamilton, and the Jefferson Bible are all good places to start. Assuming you know basic US history, of course.

>> No.13579731

>>13578172
quite based