[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 499 KB, 1653x2560, 81KBldResmL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13275528 No.13275528 [Reply] [Original]

I realized something interesting;

So from what I remember two of the big things people say DFW didn't accurately predict was how DVDs basically annihilated everything else on the market, and video, face-to-face communication - but I think now he was more accurate than it first seems.

First of all, video and voice communication is practically only used in a professional setting. I can't remember the last time I video called my friends, and voice calling seems to be reserved now to platforms like Discord; most people now opting to text almost exclusively. DFW jokes that video calls died out because we had nowhere to hide the fact that we weren't really paying attention to the call, whereas texting makes it even easier than voice. Further, we even feel a little dejected when we realize the other texting person isn't devoting their attention to us (left on read) even though we know most of the time even when we engage in a text conversation we're probably only focusing on the conversation 20% of the time.

Secondly, that video calls' brief lifetime would see artificial beauty enhancement, and then an addiction to that enhancement until it becomes more than mainstream, with the official face masks. This is actually almost completely paralleled in Snapchat. While there isn't video calling the element of attractiveness is still present, and just like the masks, many people (women) rely on filters released by snapchat because they feel ugly or unattractive and the artificial enhancements of some filters blur pimples and smooth skin. Even without filters most people spend up to ten fucking minutes taking deleting and retaking snaps just to find the one angle that makes you look the best.

Something interesting I wanted to point out/put into words.

>> No.13275538

>>13275528
>I can't remember the last time I video called my friends
Have you ever met a black person? All they do is FaceTime.

>> No.13275559

>>13275538
black people have always been backwards

>> No.13275587

>>13275538
Chinese as well. Literally almost every Chinese person on my campus is FaceTiming their relatives in China while walking around between lectures. Like why the fuck they gotta do that shit all the time? Not racist just curious. I only speak to my parents once a week at most.

>> No.13275601

>>13275587
theyre getting their orders from the queen chink

>> No.13276009

>>13275528
>I can't remember the last time I video called my friends
Do you have a non-apple device? All my friends ft their pals pretty frequently. I know nothing about it with my OnePlus

>> No.13276047

>>13275538
How else would they read eachothers gang signs

>> No.13276501

>>13275587
As a gook to explain this, asian children*1 are belongs*2 to their clan*3. If the child doesn't show his personal belongings*4, it will be considered as he embezzles clan's property.
1.We are considered as a child untill we have our own offspring. Married, has own home, yet have no child? You are still a manchild.
2.Agrarian society culture. You always have been clan's available workforce before the urbanization. You have sincerely and probably-deliberately born to work at the farm. During the urbanization, each members become a clan's source of income. Yet it was still a common thing to work at the farm before you get to work and weekdays. After the urbanization and advent of the nuclear familly , now each members of nuclear familly are considered as a indicator of clan's novelty by their income and academic background, because a thousand years of imperial examination tradition. Therefore, to go to the national centralized university or abroad to america, asian children are more dependent to the centrized clan's power. Ironically the nuclearization of familly made us more a property than an individual.
3.From 3 generations of relatives(~50) to almost anyone who shares clan name(50k+). Unlike western nepotism, asian clan's influence are only towards innards unless you are the dictator's clan.
4.report, bank account, social media account, your room*a, face, voice, body, spare time, youth, entire lifetime. The exact elements of an individual's privacy.
a.You can't own 'your' house. Especially every realties are strictly belongs to the clan. Nominal possessions are meanlingless wether you actually buy it by your hard earned money.

In conclusion, they have to pay a privacy as a tribute to their clan to show how grateful they are, especially since have the privillege to study abroad, and also/yet the only thing they temporarily own is their own privacy.

>> No.13276948

>>13275528
>DFW jokes that video calls died out because we had nowhere to hide the fact that we weren't really paying attention to the call
where?

>> No.13277071

>>13276948
please read footnotes ;_;

>> No.13277290

>>13276948
was the section where it talked about video calls getting to a weird Lacanian state where people would just hire beautiful actors to pose for the camera to make the calls

>> No.13277343

>>13276501
Very insightful post, thank you based traitorgook

>> No.13277541

>>13276948
Page 144 onward in IJ

>> No.13277549

>>13276501
now I understand them more and hate them less

>> No.13277577

>>13277549
Every fucking relatives always saying "Hey anon, are you hiding something from us? Why you won't let us touch and squeeze your face???". Asian relatives are basically pedophile mindset. Just want to check the authority over ((((their)))) unable-to-resist children.

>> No.13277609

>>13275528
God I fucking love this book. Thank you for shilling it so hard /lit/. Just started Pale King and it’s excellent too