[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 56 KB, 337x290, 1556746974195.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13165155 No.13165155[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Can we consider comics as literature? Why? If so, what would be an example of /lit/ comics?

>> No.13165157

>>13165155
>>>/co/

Uh... the Watchmen?

>> No.13165211
File: 52 KB, 320x176, 1558544199949.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13165157
I know there's a board for comics (though they barely talk about that), but that's not what I'm talking about.

>> No.13165287

I really like comics and do think they have a lot of potential as a medium, but to me they're separate from literature. Understanding Comics by McCloud really showcases all the unique attributes the medium has that makes it different from just drawings and words on a page.
And I don't know about "/lit/" comics, but here are some that I feel make good use of the medium, in the sense they are almost ideally made for it, and value would certainly be lost were they to be adapted to a different format:
>Watchmen
>The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
>Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa

>> No.13165309

If we take "literature" as the usage of symbols, metaphors, philosophy and other elements to create meaning as opposed to pulp-ish and genre stories that are simply meant to convey a narrative, then yeah, many comics fit this.

However, I think the whole "cOmIcS r LiT tOo" is simply too detrimental for the form. Movies don't have to be /lit/ to be appreciated, they have long strayed from the need to emulate another art form to be recognized as art. I think comics should just drop the pretension of literature and assume their own place in the arts, just like videogames are slowly getting there despite all the critics pretensions...or would, once they start taking themselves seriously.

But I must say, this whole thing does create some amusing situations, like that whole Ebert controversy and that one guy who criticised the MoMa for welcoming videogames as art and didn't even see the irony in his bickering.

>> No.13165316

>>13165155
No, pls go away.
You ask it all the time, the answer is the same

>> No.13165340

>>13165155
manhwas

>> No.13165344

>>13165155
They can be. Lots of manga from the gekiga and alternative comic scene from Japan in the 60s-80s could be considered lit. Kamui-den, Lone Wolf and Cub, and various works from the Garo magazine are examples.

>> No.13165364

>>13165344
Still visual art bucko

>> No.13165372

>>13165309

Also, some comics I believe are impressive examples of the medium:

>Here, Richard McGuire
>Big Questions, Anders Nilsen
>Little Nemo
>Blame!
>Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
>Lone Wolf and Cub
>Jimmy Corrigan and others by Chris Ware
>Peanuts
>Duck comics by Don Rosa
>Shade the Changing Man
>Hellboy (up to volume 5 or 6)
>Asterios Polyp

If you want to read a straightforward "lit" comics, it's stuff like Maus and Daytripper you'd be looking for, and hundreds of others realistic/autobiographical comics. I particularly don't find they that interesting because even if they do have some literary merit to them, they don't do anything different using the medium they are set in. Then I mean, what's the point? Jimmy Corrigan did the same thing, but it still managed to experiment with the form, just like other stuff by Chris Ware. It's far more interesting to take it to the extremes rather than just conforming to norms to impress a dozen snobs.