[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 42 KB, 807x659, 1517860308738.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13150382 No.13150382 [Reply] [Original]

How do I learn to hold solid convictions? I've tried reading different books to educate myself on different subjects, but I always tend to agree with the book by the end of it, even if it contradicts what I read before. I feel like I have no critical thinking whatsoever; I am so easily swayed in one direction or to other that I've settled on apathy because I've grown wary that everyone is trying to manipulate me. Should I accept my fate as sheep and give up, or is this a natural part of the process of one's intellectual journey?

>> No.13150384

Knowledge is futile.

>> No.13150404

>>13150382
read a book on critical thinking/introduction to logic. placing yourself apart from the text is a learned skill that you won't get from simply reading the texts.

>> No.13150416

you have to take time to meditate and consciously consider different perspectives by forcefully shifting them sometimes (under the pretense of an experiment), if youve fallen into a rut

you know that whole quote, its the mark of a great mind to be able to entertain multiple contradicting viewpoints at once without subscribing to any of them?

you can also read books that disagree with the books you have already read. its good practice. its always good to try and figure out where you stand. but youre not going to get there only by reading. you have you develop your own critical thinking abilities, and that happens not by reading, but by thinking. and deep thinking requires doing not shit else at the same time.