[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 23 KB, 220x334, A9C298F4-1F69-46BD-9953-4BEDB7F6163B.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13071332 No.13071332 [Reply] [Original]

What are the major themes of the original Dune series? What do you think was Franks actual idea for book 7?

>> No.13071472

Even if you can see the future you can't necessarily control your fate.

>> No.13072975

In falls into the Philosophy of History category.

>> No.13073115

>>13071332
Dont fall for charismatic leaders. wether they're lefty or righty.

>> No.13073227

>>13071332
variety is the key to a fulfilled life.

>> No.13074746

So the bene gesserit were all about evolving humans through selective breeding but the bene telex through gene manipulation and mad science. Who was in the right? Was Leto II golden path truly justified? Did he have the Right to do what he did in the name of preserving humanity?

>> No.13074802

>Major Themes
Politics, Religion, power breeds corruption (Paul), human potential, self fulfilling prophecies, and environmentalism.

This interview is great, Herbert talks a lot in depth about his work as an ecologist (or some shit like that) trying to stabilize the spread of sand dunes in California, and his inspirations for the series.
The interviewer is pretty obnoxious, unfortunately.

https://youtu.be/A-mLVVJkH7I

>> No.13074809

>>13074746
He caused the Diaspora just kn case he wasn't right. He was literally working towards the best possible outcome for humanity's growth and survival.
Hence "Golden Path"

>> No.13074987

>>13071332
It's the only time (that I know of) that someone has used the Holy Roman Empire's political structure in a genre fiction setting. Absolutely based.

>> No.13076220

God Emperor has some based quotes at the start of each chapter, "the stolen journals"

> I know the evil of my ancestors because I am those people. The balance is delicate in the extreme. I know that few of ;you who read my words have ever thought about your ancestors this way. It has not occurred to you that your ancestors were survivors and that the survival itself sometimes involved savage decisions, a kind of wanton brutality which civilized humankind works very hard to suppress. What price will you pay for that suppression? Will you accept your won extinction?

>> No.13076225

In the cradle of our past, I lay upon my back in a cave so shallow I could penetrate it only by squirming, not by crawling. There, by the dancing light of a resin torch, I drew upon wells and ceiling the creatures of the hunt and the souls of my people. How illuminating it is to peer backward through a perfect circle at that ancient struggle for the visible moment of the soul. All time vibrates to that call: "Here I am!" With a mind informed by artist-giants who come afterward, I peer at handprints and flowing muscles drawn upon the rock with charcoal and vegetable dyes. How much more we are than mere mechanical events! And my anticivil self demand: "Why is it that they do not want to leave the cave?"

>> No.13076238

Oh, the landscapes I have seen! And the people! The far wanderings of the Fremen and all the rest of it. Even back through the myths to Terra. Oh, the lessons in astronomy and intrigue, the migrations, the disheveled flights, the leg-aching and lung-aching runs through so many nights on all of those cosmic specs where we have defended our transient possession. I tell you we are a marvel and my memories leave no doubt of this.