[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 18 KB, 264x400, 46B89A8E-F620-45B7-9B4D-29F70D031045.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13004610 No.13004610 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone want to talk about modern tourism, travel, ideas of authenticity, sightseeing, guidebooks, etc. and the window these artifacts/phenomena/processes offer onto modern attempts at creating meaning?

>> No.13004635

Read the David Foster Wallace Essay on the cruise ship he took to do an article for Harper's. It's in a collection called "A Supposedly Fun thing I'll Never Do again."

>> No.13004685

>>13004635
yeah, i thought it was pretty funny. in that vein, there's a funny new yorker article where the journalist embeds himself on a chinese bus tour to europe.

>> No.13004775

>>13004610
you know all this same fucking bullshit was coming out of Harvard in the early-mid 1990s? I was not even in high school yet and my older brother was sending me these things he was hearing (we were essentially poor Whites who came from...anyway, we didn't come from exactly an "intellectual" household)that there was this idea that there "Was no American culture," that it was a Cheap, disneyesque version of something that existed for REAL across the sea in europe. Now, of course, they've become even bolder and "Europe has no culture" they say.
I'm still shocked at how-- here's an example. In 1993 or 94, my older brother had dinner with the fraud daniel goldhagen before anyone knew who he was. but he and his hero-con buddies had a theory that whenever and wherever "genocide" was happening, the Us should immediately begin bombing indiscriminately. And 5 years later, they did it to Serbia.
I hate being around Is tourists as much as anyone. Example, I was fucking shocked when I went to the Galapagos Islands and I was the ONLY ONE out of ~80 passengers who as caring Darwin's Diary with me. Also shocking on a boat to Sicily from Malta to realize I was the only one with a map tracking the route of Don Garcia's relief ships and where they met to help lift the seige, I was the only one looking for the different islands where secret messages were hidden in cattle worms the filled with wax, etc..
The act person JUST DOES NOT CARE. Which is why we are seeing history wiped out before our eye, and the fucking cops never even arrested anyone for destroying numerous statues, many well over 130 years old.
And now, the ultimate symbol of France as the failed state it now is, Notre Dame burns down to the ground...West is fucking finished. If there's any comfort to be taken from it, it's knowing that the chinese will literally have the africans, who withed so much about Whitey, in chains within the next 50 years...

>> No.13004797

>>13004775
Good but use "fuck,, less

>> No.13004806
File: 487 KB, 626x465, daboiz.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13004775
Just watch Neil de Grasse tyson videos and post on Reddit until the end of fucking time

Shit like this is produced by bourgeois think tanks to make the middle class complacent while the rich steals all their fucking money and uses literal slaves in the third world to make their trendy glitter iPhone cases.

Go sit in a park with your sweetie! (DON'T HAVE ONE, ALL SOCIAL RELATIONS HAVE DEGENERATED TO ORGYPORGY PROLEFEED NIGHTMARE)

Take Facebook tweet selfies of your stupid bullshit! (ENDLESSLY FOCUS ON DAY-TO-DAY PETTY SOCIALIZING AND LASCHIAN NARCISSISTIC GRANDSTANDING ON SOCIAL MEDIA, ALL HUMAN RELATIONSHIPS HAVE BEEN REDUCED TO LITERALLY PREHISTORICAL LEVELS OF HYPERGAMY IN A WHIRLING GYRE OF MEANINGLESS TINDER FACEFUCKING FOR THE SELECT FEW AND ELLIOT RODGER RESENTMENT FOR THE REST)

Consume trendy garbage and eat cool food :P!!!! (LITERALLY CHINESE NIGGER SLAVES MADE YOUR STUPID BULLSHIT "THINKGEEK.COM" BAUBLES AND DESIGNER STRETCHPANTS, IN ENDLESS WASTELANDS THAT RESEMBLE THE FACTORIES OF INDUSTRIAL ENGLAND MARX WROTE ABOUT IN COMPLETE HORROR)

These people are trying to thought control you into passively reclining and injecting low-effort Mythbusters reddit filth into your brain and ignoring the dull ache of meaninglessness and consumerist overstimulation from inhaling high fructose corn syrup and salt all fucking day

"Optimistic nihilism" is what rich faggots pay slightly less rich faggots to convince lumpenproles to think they're experiencing when they work in a cubicle for 45 years to finance a lifestyle of watching proles modify Nerf guns and design "man caves". Turn off the Youtube and develop some tastes and moral preferences taht an algorithm designed by Amazon can't predict and use to predict your entire life befoer you've evn lived it you peice of fucking shit

>> No.13004829

>>13004797
>use "fuck,, less
fuck you, you fucking mother fucker. In seriousness, I grew up among trash, and despite ivy league undergrad and law school, my mind is still what it is when i was growing up. I wish I had been a deerfield/exter/st.paul's kid, but I wasn't. I went to a school where I had to carry a switchblade in my backpack, as it was common for the guineas at the school to use a lock as a sort of "brass knuckles" and punch people in the face randomly, often knocking teeth out.
I'm too old to change what I am and where I came from, sorry. If the decide I don't belong here for being what I am, so be it.

>> No.13004850

>>13004806
>Amazon can't predict and use to predict your entire life befoer you've evn lived it you peice of fucking shit
Gee, apparently you have life all figured out and consider that you know me and my lifestyle. I think you're even implying I am "bourgeois," which is interesting since I grew up on fucking food stamps, but as you say.
You know, used to see a bumper sticker on the cars of some MAssholes that said: "Fuck you hippie, you ARE the system." Ever consider how it applies to you? You seem to think you are fighting "the man" and yet EVERY big tech company stands for exactly what you do. Odd, that.

>> No.13004855

>>13004806
have you ever heard the Shakespeare quote "brevity is the soul of wit"?

>> No.13004883

Someone post the hamilton tickets green text

>> No.13004898
File: 461 KB, 1124x1836, 9CC36A8C-9DF2-4058-8C8B-50188CB02335.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.13004931

Uzbekistan is an instructive case. Read how the Soviets renovated the ancient caravan cities of Khiva, Bukhara and Samarkand in order to make them tourist destinations for Soviet citizens in an effort to gut and uproot local culture and identity. It was deliberate and effective. See capital put the same tools to work with processes out of our hands.