[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.70 MB, 1920x1080, closeup-marble-statue-of-the-ancient-greek-philosopher-plato-in-motion_sxl4x4lv__F0011.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12932266 No.12932266 [Reply] [Original]

>“You know that the beginning is the most important part of any work, especially in the case of a young and tender thing; for that is the time at which the character is being formed and the desired impression is more readily taken....Shall we just carelessly allow children to hear any casual tales which may be devised by casual persons, and to receive into their minds ideas for the most part the very opposite of those which we should wish them to have when they are grown up?

>We cannot....Anything received into the mind at that age is likely to become indelible and unalterable; and therefore it is most important that the tales which the young first hear should be models of virtuous thoughts....”

What should children read during their formative years? It is without a doubt very important to how they end up later in life. You can choose read them books an empathic moral, making courage a virtue, shunning greed etcetera. Are we doing a good job today? I read somewhere only 25% of children have their parents read for them, so they get all their forming from Disney, Nickelodeon and other TV (nowadays even YouTube)

>> No.12932275

>>12932266
>What should children read during their formative years?
Sade, Genet, Mishima, Bataille, etc.

>> No.12932298

odyssey. aeneid. gilgamesh. just the stories as you'd tell it, not word for word translations. embellished history. alexander the great. vercingetorix. nagashino. tenochtitlan. hannibal.

I'm not a parent. this is just what I intend to do on this subject when I have a son. I'll let you know how it goes in thirty years or so after the hypothetical guy has grown.

>> No.12932302

>>12932266
Logan Paul videos

>> No.12932305

The Bible
Eight Homilies Against the Jews
On the Jews and Their Lies
The Protocols of the Elders of Zion
The Jews by Hilaire Belloc
The International Jew
Mein Kampf
The Reign of Quantity and the Signs of the Times
The Society of the Spectacle
Industrial Society and Its Future
The Jewish Revolutionary Spirit

>> No.12933324

>>12932266
I'll want to have a selection he can pick from if he wants

Horrible histories
Awake to history (great pictures)
Ronald Dahl
Flashman
Explorer books James Cook etc

I'd hope theyd end up liking history

>> No.12934840

>>12933324
Pretty much what I read as a kid, I'm only 19 now tho

I ended up a little fucked tho anon, socially repellent

>> No.12934871

>>12932266
Let them do what they like. Mozart didn't have to be "formed" in this way, but it helped that his dad was rich enough to buy him instruments and get him auditions. And no, you're kid won't be a Mozart, and what he/she will like to do will probably be along the lines of watching TV or throwing rocks at trees. Worse to try to do that vicarious living bullshit, "what I would have read if only I had known what I know now"

>> No.12935247
File: 2.51 MB, 4800x7200, Anti-Tech Revolution Hydra web.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12932266
Definitely Industrial Society and Its Future. It's the perfect, most concise and lucid description of everything that is wrong with the world. It decouples the concept of "progress" from human happiness and well-being, and it opens children's eye's to be objective and dispassionate in analyzing modern society in it's ENTIRETY.

Also, it is inspiring, and hopeful. If every middle-schooler out there read Industrial Society and Its Future, there would be far fewer tragic school shootings. Frustrated and despairing children would have an understanding for why they are frustrated and despairing. Also, sometimes just knowing that true freedom exists (in the wilderness)--even if there is no hope in experiencing easily--is enough to bring peace and tranquility to a hopeless and despairing person.

Also, the books "Technological Slavery" and "Anti-Tech Revolution" should be read... but probably not until late high-school.

>> No.12935406

>>12932266
We usually do follow Plato's advice when it comes to stuff for babies and preschoolers, focusing all media on education and providing straightforward models for behaviour. That's why it's fucking boring for kids who are old enough to string two thoughts together. What Plato fails to grasp is that Homer isn't great in spite of his edge, but in part because of it. Any art that is totally didactic and wholesome feels inauthentic. However, I don't see much children's entertainment that's completely nihilistic. There usually is some sort of moral to take away.

>> No.12936209

>>12934871
what are you talking about? mozart's father spent an enormous amount of time with his son at a young age teaching him not only music but a lot of things. YOUR kid won't be mozart, because you're going to put them in front of a TV and send them out to throw rocks at trees instead of try to make a child that's better than yourself.

>> No.12936635
File: 109 KB, 900x900, 654.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12932305
>The Bible

>> No.12936963

>>12935247
I think the book itself is just okay. It's real utility comes from the fact that it offers a starting point into other ideas and philosophies that aren't normally discussed, nor pondered

>> No.12937503

>>12935247
Why would you ever let a child read something by a terrorist?

>> No.12937531
File: 202 KB, 689x1000, atheists2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12936635
Back to plebbit