[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.17 MB, 2417x2417, c4w5-square-orig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12836225 No.12836225 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, /lit/. Want to read The Iliad (and currently reading a primer on Ancient Greece) but I'm currently also finishing up a degree. I feel somewhat intimidated by this work although I have read mostly 1800s texts and know a decent amount of history. I've just never tackled anything as lengthy and archaic before. Should I wait until after my studies (finish up in the summer) or just go right for it at the cost of not being able to dedicate full concentration? Also, for a first time reader would you suggest prose or poetry? And which translation?

>> No.12836237

It's pretty fun and you should probably read it multiple times in your life anyway so why not just read it and not care?

Fitzgerald is best for poetry, Lattimore and Fagles are the ones commonly given to undergrads and have a few questionable choices (I can't remember which one has the rap battle in it), and older ones are mostly for specific reasons, like if you're a really big fan of Alexander Pope.

>> No.12836271

>>12836237
Cheers for the swift response. I have to admit I'm a bit of a pleb when it comes to poetry. Is it unforgivable to read the prose first?

>> No.12836472

Don't be intimidated. I did a dissertation on this. Read it in one night a week before the dssertation was due. It's surprisingly readable.

>> No.12836707

We have a /lit/ book club starting with the Iliad rn, might make it easier to get through

https://discord.gg/wK5DdB

>> No.12836768

>>12836472
Thanks. That is encouraging. I wonder if I'll fuck up my exams by reading it though. Oh well.
>>12836707
I've joined. Thanks.