[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 83 KB, 696x960, god.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12766344 No.12766344 [Reply] [Original]

Are there any works of philosophy that actually provide evidence for their claims or is it all just intellectual masturbation? I find it hard to believe people still take it seriously when Science has replaced it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8aWBcPVPMo

>> No.12766415

We can't solve the problems of our society with physics my dude
The humanities are messy but what else do we have?

>> No.12766423

>>12766415
>We can't solve the problems of our society with physics my dude

He types from a computer in a comfortable home. You should be thanking science.

>> No.12766434

>>12766423
>You should be thanking science
I pray to the gods of science every day

>> No.12766461

>>12766434
of course you do STEMlet moron

>> No.12766566

>hahah dude just stop asking metaphysical questions hahah lmao thats retarded math solved everything kek
>why yes I do think creating atomic bomb is a good idea, for science i mean

>> No.12766590

Awful thread

>> No.12766592
File: 186 KB, 960x956, popscientists.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12766344
If you think of yourself as a 'scientist' you're probably a glorified technician/mechanic. Pic related, it's you on the right hand side. I find it hard to believe you could be interested in quantum mechanics (assuming from your choice of feynman) and not recognise the philosophical questions inherent in it.

>> No.12766720

Science is a philosophical approach you dunce

>> No.12766992

>>12766566
it was a good idea, because it provided a huge amount of funding and focus to a field which would have otherwise taken a lot longer to develop. it accelerated the development of nuclear power greatly and stopped an all out war between the soviet union and powers in the us and western europe

>> No.12767129

Why are you even here? Aren’t there some graphs and calculators you can play with?

>> No.12767752

>>12766344
I feel like people forget that philosophy exists in the midst of a discourse and that certain preestablished aspects are taken for granted, giving the impression that claims are unsubstantiated when the writer just really wants to avoid reinventing the wheel. So first give thought to that possibility.

Also, depending on whether the field of thought is analytic or continental, different branches have varying criteria for truth. Analytics actually do employ rigurous argumentation to defend their points because they view philosophy as a science of thought. Continentals however, generally, are skeptical of our assumptions of truth because they see truth as more of a socially constructed concept than an ontological reality. In such a case, a proof is meaningless for them because it's just a performance for socially verified truth. They care more for exploring a thought than 'defending' them.