[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 126 KB, 647x656, 3214CFC9-1920-43F4-B6DA-176946116B79.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12698585 No.12698585 [Reply] [Original]

tl;dr: /r/equest thread (buying a book, leave suggestions)

What are the best contemporary philosophy books? Fuck speculative realism and accelerationism. We need a radical change of perspective first instead of riding out the old inaccuracy...

Has anyone read Adrian Johnston? I am interested in his Prolegomena to Any Future Materialism and A New German Idealism... As an amateur philosopher aspirant who has engaged previously with Lacan, Badiou, and Zizek (amongst others), I feel Prolegomena... seems an important work combining secondary commentary on my (post-)modern interests and primary material I am interested in (Johnston as transcendental materialist). Apparently, however, it does not treat Zizek. And the meat of the constructive argument for transcendental materialism is found in the yet unreleased second volume. Zizek is treated extensively in A New German Idealism, however. Unfortunately, exclusively. Yet at that point, why not just get Less Than Nothing and receive straight from the well.

Idk. My reading experience of L, B, & Z is mostly limited to Ecrits, Metapolitics, and The Parallax View. I suppose Being and Event might be interesting too. Or the Essential Zizek trilogy.

But in any case, I have also read Kant's Prolegomena and Critiques, Schopenhauer's World as Will and Representation, Schelling's Philosophical Inquiries into the Nature of Freedom, Hegel's lectures on history and religion as well as Phenomenology of Spirit, and the majority of Freud, Marx, and Nietzsche.

Oh, and I have heard good things about The Dash and Plasticity, Temporality, and Dialectic too!

My personal philosophical geneaology is Deleuzean, Nietzschean, Hegelian, Platonism, and Daoism. Unfortunately, few Lacanians (despite usually combining the middle three) deal with D&G or oriental shit.

Some books I've enjoyed lately include How to Change Your Mind, Waking, Dreaming, Being, The Boddhisattva's Brain, Hegel and the Infinite, Mythologies, A Lover's Discourse, and The Shortest Shadow.

I am a continental theorist at heart trying to measure out autistic analytic categorization so I can play the Glass Bead Game properly when I go to grad school here in America in the hopes to one day be a manic pixie dream theorist. Upon such day, I will commence my synthesis of analytic and continental and east and west and atheist and theist. Alas, I am poor and can only afford a few extracurricular books per semester. :'(

>> No.12698606

I'm very much enjoying Ian Hamilton Grant's Philosophies of Nature after Schelling. The same old hat about le overcoming of the Kantian paradigm but he's saying interesting stuff about Plato, Schelling, nature and mind that I'm finding immensely rewarding when I combine it with, not gonna lie, Space Engine.

An The Dash is excellent, bit of a retread of Zizek's Hegel though.

>> No.12698606,1 [INTERNAL] 

The way forward is evolutionary and organic. Suggestions:
Alfred North Whitehead's Process and Reality.
Incomplete Nature by Terrence Deacon - highly jives with Deleuze.
Humanity in a Creative Universe by Stuart Kauffman.
The End of Certainty by Ilya Priogine

>> No.12698658

The way forward is evolutionary and organic. Suggestions:
Alfred North Whitehead's Process and Reality.
Incomplete Nature by Terrence Deacon - highly jives with Deleuze.
Humanity in a Creative Universe by Stuart Kauffman.
The End of Certainty by Ilya Priogine

>> No.12698685

just read plato and aristotle and call it a day
read nietzsche too if you want to see an angry man call other philosophers names

>> No.12698750

>>12698606
What's Space Engine?
>>12698658
Good suggestions! Adventure of Ideas is great.
>>12698685
Nietzsche has some insights despite the mudslinging.

>> No.12699534

Bump