[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 126 KB, 647x656, 97671A0C-AA92-4AF3-9505-A9F80E07E076.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12583690 No.12583690 [Reply] [Original]

What is your approach to Hegel’s Phenomenology? Do you read it front to back? Sometimes I just read a few lines at random and spend the rest of the week in a schizo haze

>> No.12583707

>>12583690
seems to me there is no good approach to reading him.

>> No.12583710

>>12583690
Does anyone else feel like, though you don’t understand it, at least not immediately, later on, you feel influenced by it? As in, you start to think similar to Hegel about certain things? It’s like he plants a seed in your head and it just grows without your knowing it. And I only read the preface

>> No.12583792

>>12583710

It feels this way to me too. I can’t make any significant progress through the book because each section might as well be a nuke to my thought processes the following few days. Something pulls me along to a point (no further than two pages in one sitting) and then I cannot read any further, like I will keep trying to parse a sentence but any meaning evaporates after each word. This is such a consistent thing with this book that I take it as my sign to stop. And then over the next week or month that seed just grows whether or not I make any conscious effort. It just happens, I don’t know if it ever resolves itself, but I finally get my head to a point where I pick up the book again and somehow that impenetrable sentence from before makes perfect sense. And then the cycle continues.

I can’t actually tell if I’m getting anything out of it or if some process is happening through me. It’s weird, I don’t seem to have any control over any of it except deciding whether to pick up the book again.

>> No.12583808

>>12583792

When I say “the seed grows,” that could be a whole essay on its own. Short description, I start thinking that I notice patterns in things, levels of self-organization extending to infinity, that kind of stuff. This goes on for weeks and then for some reason I pick up this book again and induce some kind of enlightened-feeling madness again.

>> No.12583839

>>12583690
the only right approach is to bin it. it is obscurantist nonsense, giving philosophy a bad name since 1807.

>> No.12583863

>>12583792
>>12583808
For me, it’s has influenced the way I see theology/philosophy. I “independently” came up with this idea that all of creation is like a mirror to God. Without the creation, God has no way of understanding Himself. It’s like a movement, but without movement. God is the source and the final product at the same time. All is the actualization of Truth.