[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 771 KB, 1202x1600, yukio_mishima.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12424134 No.12424134 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/, I'm planning to learn Japanese in order to be able to read Japanese literature in it's native language. Do you guys have any tips on how to approach this and have any of you tried to learn a fourth language just for the sake of reading?

>> No.12424142

>>12424134
>Do you guys have any tips

Idk, just do the same as you did when you learned your first two? seems to have worked pretty well for you. You're probably best off asking /jp/ or /int/ since they have dedicated threads for learning japanese. best of luck.

>> No.12424146

>>12424142
Problem is that I learned both English and German in school which was years ago, this is more of a self study/hobby thing. Maybe not the best approach to take.

Thanks for the tips though, I'll check out /jp/ and /int/.

>> No.12424155

>>12424146
>Maybe not the best approach to take.

why? i'm sure you're more than capable and there are endless resources. japanese isn't even that hard, really, once your get the hang of it. don't sell yourself short

>> No.12424157

I don't know anything about Japanese. I learned German as my 3rd language from Goethe-Institut (I also went to studienkolleg) , look for such similar non-profit governmental back institute that teaches Japan. Apart from literature Japan also has good cinema, you are in for a treat.
Good luck

>> No.12424185
File: 201 KB, 792x764, 1547576371160.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Start off by learning japanese syllabary 仮名, for grammar use Tae Kim's guide. Use Anki for vocabulary, whether you learn 漢字 through actual, practicable vocabulary or the Heisig route is up to you.

>> No.12424424

>>12424134
Japanese is a totally different animal than learning any of the Romance or Germanic languages as a native English speaker.

It will take a much longer time time, and it takes a very long time to learn to read. It can be frustrating because it's hard to gain new knowledge in your language when you can't read.

Learn the kana as soon as you can to start. You won't be able to comfortably read Japanese literature for quite a while (many years) , but it's possible. Motivation, life goals, all sorts of stuff are all bigger factors for your success than any kind of learning method at this point when talking about such a long term goal.

>> No.12424435

>>12424134
https://itazuraneko.neocities.org/
Here it is, the method perfected by countless weebs of 4chan learning Japanese to watch their cartoons and read their eroge. That's what you need.

>> No.12424512
File: 36 KB, 732x487, Super-Simple-Guide-To-Using-Anki-Immediately-9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I never tried to learn an asian language but every person that I know who did swears by Anki, and I used it myself to learn English (which is my third language, and the only one that I learned as an adult) and I can tell you that it's very, very useful.

My advice is: use a regular Anki deck for vocabulary (I built my own with a frequency dictionary, but with Japanese I assume you're better off downloading someone else's) and one for grammar with cloze deletion cards based on what you studied. Mess around with add-ons to see if you find something useful, and there's no shortage of online guides to learning Japanese with the help of Anki.

You can set the pace of your learning through Anki by the amount of new cards you choose to learn everyday, and my advice is to start low but keep gradually moving up. There was a time when I was doing 100 new cards (i.e. 100 new words/phrases) everyday and it worked fine, and I know med students who do even more than that. I assume Japanese is challenging and will require a lot of memorization, so train yourself to be able to digest at least 100 new cards per day.

>> No.12424527

>>12424512
>100 new cards per day
>grammar with cloze deletion
Don't listen to this retard.

>> No.12424619

>>12424527
Uh. Cloze deletion and cloze overlapper will make it possible to structure cards in the same way as most grammar exercises, and 100 cards usually took me something like 1 hour a day, which is the least someone should expend learning a new language if they don't want to waste five years doing so. I'm really not sure what about my post triggered you.

>> No.12424634

>>12424619
Grammar cards are unnecessary, you should train grammar recognition with native input. Cloze deletion is doubly unnecessary, as are grammar exercises.
>100 cards usually took me something like 1 hour a day
There's a difference between a number of new cards per day and a number of cards you should watch in total on any given day. The latter can in the long run be estimated as 10 times the former. 100 new cards per day gives you about 1000 cards to repeat every day and that's too much for any reasonable study regiment. You shouldn't spend more than 30 minutes to an hour on Anki anyway, better use your time for reading and listening.

>> No.12424646

>>12424634
>Grammar cards are unnecessary, you should train grammar recognition with native input.
I'm unfamiliar with this, what exactly are you talking about?

And you're probably, 100 will be too much for something like Japanese because the review cards would still be difficult and every new card will be completely new, unlike an English dictionary. But that's why I adviced him to start low and keep moving up, he'll soon know his limits. And what amount of time OP decides to spend on each activity is up to him.

>> No.12424677

>>12424646
>And you're probably,
you're probably right* obviously