[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 19 KB, 321x429, 1539360804859.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12011489 No.12011489 [Reply] [Original]

>Romantic love is a rarefied product of century after century of Christian influence, and everything about its substance and development can be explained to the unenlightened by comparing it to a suit fashioned by the soul or the imagination and used to clothe those whom the mind thinks it fits, when they happen to come along.
>But every suit, since it isn’t eternal, lasts as long as it lasts; and soon, under the fraying clothes of the ideal we’ve formed, the real body of the person we dressed it in shows through.
>Romantic love is thus a path to disillusion, unless this disillusion, accepted from the start, decides to vary the ideal constantly, constantly sewing new suits in the soul’s workshops so as to constantly renew the appearance of the person they clothe.

Damn...

>> No.12011547

>>12011489
I have a sort of related story, it's not actually related I just want to blogpost.

When I first fell in love I was 16, and it was with my first real gf. It happened around January and February. I remember literally not understanding what the fuck was happening, everything so was incredibly beautiful and intense, it's like the world had been transformed into a living painting infused with music, I can't really write well so this is a shit description but hopefully you get the point. Everything felt amazingly important and real, and like nothing I had ever known. SO naturally I was like 'ok this is what love is, holy shit'.

But then, over the course of a few months that feeling disappeared. I was confused and distraught about this and I tried to recreate the feeling by getting another gf- it didnt work. Nothing worked. I entered a sort of depression for years, I had a number of gfs but none of them made me feel that feeling I had.

Finally 4 years later the feeling comes back, but I am totally alone, no girls, none of that, it just starts happenign to me as I walk around outside in nature or as I get drunk and listen to music or write poetry. I am confised and think that I must be falling love with things that arent people, whatever. This fades everntually as well and depression sets in again.

Then 2 years later, I have just broken up wiht a serious gf that I actually lived with, i am in a state of despair and isolation. And then the feeling comes back 100fold, stronger than anythign I have ever known, the entire universe feels iilluminated by God, like strands of wondrous ecstasy are floodgin trhough all existence using me as a conduit for their mysterious workings. This last for like a couple months, and then goes away.

I go to see a psychiatrist, and he tells me 'you have bipolar disorder'. That feeling you get is called 'mania'.

So i have never loved anybody. I have never cared about art, nature, beauty, or anything. All that happens is that sometimes my brain produces these neurotransmitters that make me feel like that, and it's basically just random.

>> No.12012077

>>12011489
Bump

>> No.12012120

based pessoaposter

>> No.12012247

>>12011547
i think psychiatrists are charlatans and businessmen who just want to sell you pills, and pathologizing genuine goodfeels is just another justification to narcotize the population. you can't be allowed to feel NATURALLY ecstatic, oh nooo no no no you need to pop another benzo and down it with a glass of cheap wine. high on life? oh no no no that's for schizos and mental patients, go swallow another cocktail of pills and numb yourself to the LOVE of LIFE

>> No.12012276

how exactly did he determine that areas of the world with zero contact with christianity were absent of romantic love?

>> No.12012334

>>12011547
Psychologists is the reinterpretation of personality as pathology.

>> No.12012336

>>12012334
psychology is*

>> No.12012893

Buump

>> No.12013311
File: 139 KB, 800x1200, 6b43b151a6f9914e8ca2a3b3f6297bc5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12011489

The awesome realization that personhood is superfluous and that everyone converges in the same plenitude of awareness is as easy to know and to reconcile with one's Self as it is hard to bare and to reconcile with the ostensibly Other. Thus a bilateral affirmation of triviality, culminating in romantic love, is undertaken in order to imply any essential difference or separation.

>> No.12013961

Reminder that Álvaro de Campos fucked machines

>> No.12013978

>>12011489
If he's Jewish I can understand his sentiment. In Jewish culture it is acceptable to sacrifice the weak to protect the strong. Revisions of history have hidden the fact that thousands of Jews went to help the governments of nations seek out other Jews. Besides the Holocaust on whether it was fictitious or not, the fact remains in objective evidence of Jews sacrificing their brethren and kin in order to preserve the self. When asked in the courts under Israel these same Jews who betrayed their people stated that yes, they did indeed help work against the Jewish, but only to protect themselves from harms way. Every single one was let go through absolvement of the crime, because it is Jewish culture to sacrifice others to preserve the self as well. If he is Jewish, a Christian or even Muslim is able to understand that his love is merely sociopathic and selfish, not empathetic and selfless. This is why his love will fall to the wayside, it's why he does not believe in true love. The finality of his vision only encompasses himself and those that he can use around him (emotional, social, financial). It is a sad state that this man lives in, Jewish or not. Do not adopt the mindsets and ideals of the Jewish scriptures and legal provisions - it will only serve to destroy you along the way.

>> No.12013986

>>12013961
*Alberto Caeiro

>> No.12013996
File: 973 KB, 2544x2698, China.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12012276
either you have a rarefied definition of romantic love that centers itself by selective opposition or you are ignorant of Chinese and Indian culture. Maybe both? Either way, Start with the Babylonians.

>> No.12014117

>>12013986
no it is campos

>> No.12014132

>>12013996
Rephrase this so it makes sense.

>> No.12014149

The more I read of him the less I like him. His writing just feels bitter to me. I mean, I'm a depressed, pathetic loser, I feel like I'm the lowest of the low, but I'm able to recognize that much of that is because of my own personal failings, bad luck, (presumed) mental illness, etc., rather than an aspect of the world itself. My life certainly could have turned out differently, and I could certainly make it better if I hadn't given up. But that's just me, it's not the world.

>> No.12014188

>>12014149
Pessoa could of had anything he wanted. He had friends, he had a gf, he went to college. He wasn't bitter, he willingly chose to renunciate, dumped hia gf, left college, etc. He knew he probably would have been happier being with other people and chose to do anything but that and spent his life on his project living through other people and wrote like 20,000 pages of material. There is much more depth in pessoa than just bitter inceldom and if you think about it he ia a pretty terrifying person.

>> No.12014530

Bumping

>> No.12014558

>>12011489
this lad wrote nothing but pure gold desu

>> No.12014779

/ourguy/

>> No.12014785

>>12011489
I don't know how to properly express this but that's a beautiful healthy way one can think about romantic love, and that's weird coming from Pessoa.

>> No.12014795 [DELETED] 

Perhaps the dumbest metaphor I've ever heard. Yikes.

>> No.12014874

>>12013978

>his love is merely sociopathic and selfish, not empathetic and selfless

See: >>12013311

Jews aside, in shying away from Truth, love becomes mutually degrading. Couples are explicitly in collusion and Morality only gets invoked as a petty means for one to exert himself onto the other.

>> No.12015236

>>12011489
>>Romantic love is a rarefied product of century after century of Christian influence
>The Greek language distinguishes at least six different ways as to how the word love is used. Ancient Greek has six distinct words for love: agápe, éros, philía, storgē, pragma and philautia. However, as with other languages, it has been difficult to separate the meanings of these words when used outside their respective contexts.
Those ancient greeks and their thousands of years of Christian influence, eh?

God I fucking hate the jews.

>> No.12016529

Bumping

>> No.12016568

>>12011489
sounds blue pilled af