[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 33 KB, 640x480, aa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12002762 No.12002762 [Reply] [Original]

I was thinking of pursuing a philosophy or linguistics degree. My only hope was being a college teacher or something like that. But what's the state of academia? Is having something like that as a goal fucking stupid?
I wish I could just be a neet or something but shit like that isn't funded where I live.

>> No.12002764

Picture's on point don't act like you don't know academia is a gaping hole of inadequacy

>> No.12002769

Academia is mostly about carefully maintaining your reputation and status in a culture of constant backstabbing and political conformity.

>> No.12002770

I would think it would be a fun career.

Academia is very politicized right now, sometimes rightly, sometimes wrongly. You have to tread carefully and it is as bureaucratic and nepotistic as you can imagine. You have to play politics within your university and defend your tenture etc.

Dont let it be a discouragement as thats pretty much the status quo of every other corporate job. Whether you're defending your reputation and credibility as a professor or a middle manager its pretty much the same.

>> No.12002780

>>12002762
You may as well go on /pol/ and ask what it's like being a black person.

>> No.12002851

>>12002762
there's a difference between the people who are academics in order to be part of academia and people who are academics because they want to know some specific thing or accomplish some kind of reform or otherwise use their degrees and knowledge (including educate). so if I were you I'd ask myself, independent of 'the state of academia', if I wanted to be a college teacher because I wanted to teach or because I just couldn't imagine anything else. remember: teaching is a job with intense personal engagement on a weekly basis (at a minimum).
becoming a lecturer isn't a dumb goal at all, but you should want to become a lecturer because you like teaching, not because you're pursuing some vague academic image. try being an undergraduate teaching assistant for a semester, see if you like it. ask a professor who you connect with and in whose class you did well if they want or need a UTA. then you'll have a little idea of what teaching is like from the other end of the lectern, at least, and you'll be forming your opinion of being a lecturer in a more balanced way.
if you're looking at academia as the kind of career where you don't need to interact with people, you might want to look into a librarian's degree—there's nothing wrong with that, librarians are actually quite educated and very different from library staff who do the pleb work. a lot of their work is becoming digital, like management of databases instead of management of shelves.

>> No.12002873

>>12002762
the job market in humanities academia is in a very bad place nowadays. chances are high that you'll end up in adjunct hell

>> No.12003078
File: 86 KB, 669x1206, Max Weber.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Read 'Science as Vocation' by my man Weber, it is still relevant today (he also says that scientism is for overgrown children).

>> No.12003238

if you like literature or philosophy the absolute last thing you should do is study it at a university.

>> No.12003273

>>12002762
>shit like that isn't funded where I live
Where's that?

>>12002873 is right that it's very tough to get jobs, certainly in the UK and the US, but it must be a very geographically varied thing.

>> No.12003385

>>12002762

I made a thread about academia a few days ago, but it was deleted. Weird. Since you don't specify where you're from, I'm just going to go ahead and assume you're American. You're the only ones who do that on this fucking site.

>> No.12003561
File: 107 KB, 363x372, aha.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12002764

>> No.12003858

>>12002780
there are actually a bunch of black guys on pol

believe it or not, hating progressives seems to transcend race to the point that minorities will flock to white nationalist forums just to vent how annoyed they are at feminists et al.