[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 11 KB, 345x333, 1512194632709.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11719495 No.11719495 [Reply] [Original]

I'm starting my PhD program next month. I am from Scandinavia. I'm excited, but also worried. This board seems to have some academics; can you share your experience(s)? I'll be doing a regular sort of literature PhD (nobody cares about the specifics), and I do feel like there are so many things I don't know.

I tried for years to get a position, and now that it happened I feel almost lost.

>> No.11719737

>>11719495
Hi anon, I am doing a Research Master's in History in the Netherlands and just started doing a research traineeship in Denmark. I know some people doing a PhD or have just started it, also in the Humanities (History, Dutch Language, Cultural Studies).

I think the key question you should ask yourself is whether you actually want to continue in academia or just get your PhD and be done with it. If you want the former, prepare for some extra teaching, visiting multiple conferences, and at least two or three peer reviewed articles - on top of your funded PhD. Also, try to get in a journal or do something on the side, be it education or organising something, academically. And your PhD thesis needs to be of good quality, too. That's how the situation in the Netherlands is - I am not too certain about Scandinavia, yet - in order to obtain a postdoc. The only exception is when you've managed to carve a position for yourself in the department, got to know people, and teach a lot and/or do a special PhD project embedded in a larger reserach project.

>> No.11720963

Wanting to get one myself

>> No.11720964

Vad har detta att göra med literatur?

Sage infaller i alla rader

>> No.11721848

>>11720964

Are you really asking what a literature PhD has to do with literature? I guess you're in no danger of obtaining a degree yourself.