[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 9 KB, 639x469, 1527236024035-lit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11566026 No.11566026 [Reply] [Original]

I have read like 50 books this year, and probably close to 100 in the last full year's time... and well, I'm feeling pretty burned out. I read some of them just to say "yea I read that", and I think that's what really burned me.
Any books to rekindle me after I have managed to kill the spark?

>> No.11566036

Take a break. I’m sorry to say the fire may never be the same, but re-reading your favorite books more slowly and attentively — you’re giving up the fire for more mature pleasures.

>> No.11566047

Never read book (or do anything) as a prideful endeavor.
It will eat you from the inside.

Take a break from reading. And do something that you as a child would like.

>> No.11566076

>>11566036
That scares me a lot, but no, im not ready to become the old man in his lazyboy who watches the same movies over and over quite yet. I want to keep reading new things and expanding my soul.
>>11566047
Yes it truly did hurt me badly and im only now realizing after doing way too much of it... forcing myself to do it, I can now admit.
I think you are right about returning to some childish innocence, thank you for that

>> No.11566079

val valerian

>> No.11566110

Don't worry, I don't think you have broken anything - except perhaps the false idol of pride you were carrying on your back. You are just hibernating. You don't need to read for opinion anymore. No more shame in reading what you want to, whether it's simple, complex, conventional and eclectic... for your own pleasure.

>> No.11566117

>>11566026
Savour books and take your time to enjoy them. Ploughing through them like they're a chore is obviously going to turn you off reading. Choose something YOU want to read, regardless of its reputation or literary cred, and read it as slowly as you want, with no pressure. I could have easily read Heart of Darkness in one sitting but I took the time to think about it when I had read a part that struck me.

>> No.11566129

What kind of things do you read?
Read something different.

>> No.11566143

>>11566110
>>11566117
Yes that's more or less what I was just thinking and now you've gone and posted it. I have a few genrefic books on the shelf I've been wanting to read, and im gonna read them without rushing at all and enjoy them like never before.
Funny you should mention Heart of Darkness. That stands out for me as well as one of my fondest reading experiences. Incredibly dense short book with a LOT more to say than most books many times its length.

>> No.11566231

Not OP, but what if you don't have any books that you really want to read? Try reading something short and see what sounds interesting from there?

>> No.11566243

Get another hobby, you nut.

>> No.11566396

>>11566026
Take a break. You've obviously "overdosed". Get into something else, some other hobby for a while. Try music (classical, jazz, rock, folk, they're all completely disparate and equally fascinating fields of it), film, visual arts (painting, sculpture, architecture - get yourself a book such as Gombrich's Story of Art to get a general overview and a "feel" for art, and visit museums and galleries)... There's so much to do. I'm personally getting tired of prose works and am seriously getting into poetry now (particularly modern and contemporary), it's a fascinating world that is almost never discussed on /lit/.

>> No.11566928

>>11566231
Reread one of your favorites and see if you can find something like it.

>> No.11567002

>>11566026
The number of shit books you have probably read, and the fact that you probably speed read all of them . . .

Can you even remember what you've read?

Please post every single title of all the books you have read here.