[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.37 MB, 1438x1286, dune.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11558094 No.11558094 [Reply] [Original]

I think we all agree that his son's books aren't canon, right?
Daniel and Marty are obviously not artificial intelligences and the way they are introduced makes no sense if you consider the personalities given to them later in the books of his son.
I am entirely convinced that that little bastard made that shit up, why the fuck would Omnius call them masters? Why would they remind each other that the Masters of the Tleilaxu aren't gods and neither are they themselves?
It's fucking dumb, it doesn't fit and that's not how Herbert wanted to end his series. They are some fucked mutation of face-dancers, maybe just normal ones that soaked up too many memories or come from a weird place created during the scattering but whatever the fuck they are, they aren't thinking machines, then they wouldn't have that connection to the Tleilaxu.

>> No.11558113

>>11558094
Good thing I never read the books of his sons, they sound awful. I thought Herbert's way of ending the series with face dancers evolving into these god-like beings was nice, given the fact they were always used as slaves. It was a nice inversion/revolution in a series all about inversions/revolutions.

>> No.11558132

>>11558113
Quick rundown
>son (and other writer who "helps" him) writes half a dozen prequels to "prepare"
>writes 2 more books to end the story
>turns out those 2 books have fuck-all to do with the actual story
>nothing meaningful really gets resolved
>everybody comes back as zombies
>they are entirely dependent on the prequels that the son obviously pulled out of his ass
>son bastardizes his father's legacy for money
I want to beat him.

>> No.11558157

>>11558094
I personally don't consider anything beyond the first half of the first book canon.

>> No.11558161

>>11558132
I forgot
>literal (literally literal) deus ex machina changes the story to fit the prequels in
Though what bothered me the most about it was that the obvious wisdom and depth of (some) of the stuff Herbert wrote was completely absent from the new books.
No quotes, just repeated lines from earlier books or paraphrased bullshit and angsty teenage philosophy.

>> No.11558754

>>11558157
I personally don’t consider anything past the first sentence of the first book to be canon.

“A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct.”

That’s it. Every time I go back to re-read the series I open up Dune I read that sentence and then I put the book down until I revisit it a year later.

>> No.11558836

>>11558754

Only the first edition dustjacket is cannon.

>> No.11558839

>>11558094

I think at this point Brian Herbert himself isn't cannon. He is bad fanfiction of his dad.

>> No.11559157

This is the faggot who ruined dune
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_J._Anderson
>x-files novels
>star wars novels
>Superman/Batman novels
Can't make this shit up.

>> No.11559226

>>11559157
>tfw a fat DC comics nerd ruined the Tolkien of Scifi
100% mad