[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 111 KB, 520x503, kant.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11422247 No.11422247 [Reply] [Original]

I want to start reading Kant. Where should I start and in what order should I read? Is there a Kant chart?

>> No.11422257

Yes there is a well known Kant chart that is posted here literally every single day.

>> No.11422775

Start with some introductory book in your native language for an overview of his ideas. Then explore the subjects that appeal to you the most, if your interest hasn't faded out you'll enter deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole.

>> No.11422776
File: 586 KB, 946x2017, Kant-chart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11422247

>> No.11422777

buttress it with secondary articles on kant, just google "kant pdf" and watch your comprehension increase exponentially

>> No.11422785

>>11422247
Start with the greeks

>> No.11422817

The first 200 pages of Beiser's _Struggle with Subjectivism_ are on Kant's pjhilosophy and its historical context, and his other book _The Fate of Reason_ is useful

I would read those before reading any other secondary scholarship, to get the lay of the land. They will also give you most of the context you need, in terms of Leibnizian-Wolffian philosophy (including teleology/aesthetics) and the Enlightenment problematics that Kant was addressing (idealism, the problem of scepticism, etc.).

From there I would just force yourself through The Critique of Pure Reason, the Cambridge/Guyer edition. You don't need perfect comprehension. Kant's architectonic as a whole and many of its components are both full of ambiguities and contentious issues. What you really want is to get an idea of the whole and a sense for the major contours and interpretations (for which Beiser will help). Then just read the other two critiques and decide based on Beiser if you want to read minor works like the Opus postumum or whatever.

tldr: The three critiques are the main event, in order. Beiser is a good historian of philosophy and probably the best secondary literature to start out with. Be careful with secondary literature in general though, as Kant scholarship is chaotic and many interpretations are more about modern applications and appropriations than they are about historically situating Kant's actual ideas.

Try reading the First Part of the First Critique twice, first time for general comprehension and second time for "ohhh, now I get that a lot easier." Then read the Transcendental Dialectic.

>> No.11424175

>>11422817
Thanks.